Scale color scheme finished with genuine UltraCote® covering
Painted fiberglass cowl with scale dummy engine
Ready to accept the recommended Evolution® 33GX gas engine
Adjustable EP motor box included
Preassembled fuel tank and complete high-quality hardware package included
Functional flaps for enhanced flight characteristics and realism
Ready to accept Hangar 9® 1/4-scale floats (HAN454512)—sold separately

Overview

Primarily known as a “bush plane,” the de Havilland Beaver is distinguished for its ability to excel deep within territory where neither surface vehicle nor average pilot would venture lightly. The Hangar 9® DHC-2 Beaver 30cc ARF is built with the scale RC pilot in mind who wants a giant-scale model that’s as versatile as it is realistic. Its impressive stance begins with a huge 110-inch wingspan, but you’ll enjoy great performance using just a 30cc gas engine. Construction is an evolution of Hangar 9 tradition where only the best materials in balsa and plywood are selected for use with our modern processes, form assembly, tab alignment rigidity and laser-cut part accuracy. The result is an aircraft in final form that has sacrificed the least amount of scale authenticity to achieve the best appearance and most especially flight performance.

Scale Outline
The easy flying characteristics, plus the outstanding attention to scale detail and outline make the Hangar 9 DHC-2 Beaver 30cc an excellent model for first-time and expert giant-scale pilots alike.

Excellent Low-speed Performance
The operational flaps offer short field operation and are a popular for intermediate and expert pilots who want to replicate full-scale performance.

Working Doors
Both sides of the fuselage feature scale-shape doors that open wide to allow generous access to the interior where included scale details such as pilot seats and an instrument panel can be found. We recommend the Hangar 9 1/5-scale civilian pilot figure (HAN9119) for an accurate appearance in flight.

Corrugated Control Surfaces
Corrugated surface detail is factory applied to simulate the aluminum sheeting used on the full-size rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaps for control surface rigidity.

Fiberglass Details
The radial cowl and landing gear fairings are painted to match the Hangar 9 UltraCote® covering. The sculpted shape of the wing tips is also replicated in fiberglass.

Two-piece Wing and Horizontal Stabilizer
The two wing panels that make up the 110-inch wingspan slide on over an aluminum joiner tube and pin into the fuselage sides with rods and a nylon thumb-screw. Each airfoil shaped wing-strut adds to the structural support and secures in place with a quick-release mechanism. Each half of the horizontal stabilizer connects to the tail section with an aluminum joiner tube to provided support, assembly and storage options that make the DHC-2 easier to maintain and transport.

Genuine UltraCote Finish
The all-wood airframe of the Beaver is finished in genuine Hangar 9 UltraCote covering which is well known for its durable finish, brilliant looks and ease of maintenance.

Optional Floats and Strut Set
The DHC-2 Beaver 30cc can be converted into a float plane when you add the optional float strut set (HAN454512) and floats (HAN4580)—sold separately.

video
DHC-2 Beaver 30cc ARF by Hangar 9 (3 min 21 sec)
Last edited by marksp; Dec 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2013, 01:00 PM
Looks pretty cool, I don't think I will be getting one but it does look like a great model.
Nov 21, 2013, 01:03 PM
That looks like a great model! That would be fun with floats.
Nov 21, 2013, 04:50 PM
A repaint might make it into a Korean War vintage liaison "warbird".
(L-20)
Nov 21, 2013, 07:56 PM

Wow

Very very nice. Love the float struts and the rest of the scale details. I don't do "ic" so am looking forward to seeing somebody's electric version of this Beaver.
Nov 21, 2013, 11:26 PM
Jonathan Sawn
Looks like another great H9 model! The size is perfect and compared to other planes in the range the price isn't too bad.
Nov 23, 2013, 12:08 AM
I always wanted to do a 1/4 scale electric on floats. I'll be adding a sound system to this one as it was a big success on my 1/4 scale H9 Super Cub.
Nov 23, 2013, 12:58 AM
Prefers radials
Thread OP
I'm also thinking about building like my H9 1/4 PA-18 Super Cub (P160 on 10S) that way I can share batteries, props, etc. as well as giant scale EP experience.

I noticed the horizontal stabilizer vertical tabs only on the pics & video with floats . The pictures and video of the Beaver on wheels doesn't have them. Curious?

Cheers
Last edited by marksp; Nov 23, 2013 at 03:14 AM.
Nov 23, 2013, 08:55 AM
On the real Beaver, you had to add vertical tabs on the horizontal to increase the yaw stability lost when adding floats. If Hangar 9 offers these in the kit for adding floats, Bravo! They do two things: 1) Correct scale detail 2) Needed stability when adding floats
Nov 23, 2013, 09:55 AM
Horizon Hobby
The stabilizer tip fins are included with the optional Float Strut Set, HAN454512.
Nov 23, 2013, 10:54 AM
Along with the vertical tabs on the elevators, the fuselage also carried a rather large fin attached to the lower rear tail section.
The model may not require it, but the real planes did to control yaw with the floats.
From the short video I watched, I suspect the cowl is way too long for scale, but deemed necessary to have room for a gasser! For electric it could be brought closer to the windshield. Maybe it just my old eyes playing tricks. hehe Doug B
Nov 23, 2013, 11:36 AM
Horizon Hobby
Some full-size Beavers have the ventral fin, many do not.
Nov 23, 2013, 12:10 PM
Prefers radials
Thread OP
Are the stabilizer tip fins designed to come on/off with floats? For that matter, are the floats easily removable for those who switch between land and water? Cheers
Nov 23, 2013, 12:38 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley
From the short video I watched, I suspect the cowl is way too long for scale, but deemed necessary to have room for a gasser! For electric it could be brought closer to the windshield. Maybe it just my old eyes playing tricks. hehe Doug B
I thought that too when we were proofing the video, but then I stopped the video at the end where there's a good 3/4 front view and started comparing it side-by-side to various photos online. When I did that I saw that it's actually very close. It may be stretched a small amount, like 3/8", but it's not grossly out of proportion. I also found that in some photos of the full scale the nose looks shorter than others.
Nov 23, 2013, 12:49 PM
Horizon Hobby
The stabilizer tip fins are simple to install and remove. The floats less so, it is more time consuming than difficult, but there is the matter of the landing gear-to-fuselage fairings, as well as the struts and mounts themselves.

The landing gear-to-fuselage fairings glue to the fuselage, we recommend canopy glue or a silicone-type adhesive. It is quite possible to remove them without damaging anything, and I did this with the prototype aircraft. That plus the various strut mounts make it more of a task you might plan ahead for than take on week-to-week should a water flying opportunity arise.

The manual has some float install images that will give you an idea of what's involved.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp
Are the stabilizer tip fins designed to come on/off with floats? For that matter, are the floats easily removable for those who switch between land and water? Cheers

Quick Reply