Volocopter, Worlds First Multi Rotor Transportation for Humans

After several years of development the Volocopter design team has finally test flown the two-seater VC200 human carrying multi rotor.

Splash

Are you ready to use multi rotors as transportation? e-volo thinks so!

Hey guys, if you remember back around 2011 there was a video circulating the interwebz showing a guy seated on a giant, many bladed multi rotor hovering a few feet off the ground. It looks very scary and yet it worked.

Lets take a look back:

World's first manned flight with an electric multicopter (3 min 56 sec)

Now let us jump a few years a head. Here in 2013 after the proof of concept worked the e-volo team has been hard at work developing the VC200, a two passenger machine.

e-volo startes: Two years after the first manned Volocopter VC1, our e-volo team presented the two-seater VC200. The first radio controlled flight tests took place on November, 17th 2013 in the dm-arena in Karlsruhe, Germany. The flight tests have been very successful. We performed 9 flights with a total airtime of 20 minutes and still some battery capacity left. Our team was excited about the flight stability, the low vibration and the pleasant sonorous sound of the Volocopter.

Let’s check out the flight!

Volocopter VC200 First Flight (2 min 56 sec)

After this flight e-bolo released the following statement:

E-volo’s Volocopter is a revolution in aviation Made in Germany. Safer, simpler, and cleaner than normal helicopters, it has a unique way of moving – a groundbreaking innovation. The Volocopter is an environmentally friendly and emission-free private helicopter. Instead of one combustion engine, eighteen electrically driven rotors propel it.

The maiden flight and first test flights were conducted in the dm-arena in Karlsruhe with the prototype of the 2-person VC200 on Sunday, November 17, 2013. Based on this model, it will be prepared for series production in the coming years. “There are already numerous requests for the Volocopter from around the world,“ said Alexander Zosel, managing director of e-volo.

With multiple flights lasting several minutes reaching the nearly 22 m high ceiling of the dm-arena, including a number of smooth takeoffs and landings, the Volocopter concept exceeded all expectations. “Rich and incredibly quiet sound, absolutely no noticeable vibrations in the flight, convincing structure with a great, new spring strut landing gear, and an extremely calm rotor plane,“ concluded the e-volo managing director, thanking the KMK. “New innovations that have the possibility to change our world are continually presented at the Messe Karlsruhe. Therefore it was natural to work in partnership with the e-volo team to enable the test flights in the dm-arena,“ announced KMK managing director Britta Wirtz. “The fair is not just a display of strengths in the technology field, but concretely supports pioneers of aviation as well.“

The developing team of e-volo knew from the onset that the Volocopter was very easy to fly. Due to elaborate simulations at the Stuttgart University, they already knew that it was much more quiet than a helicopter. However, the pleasant low, rich sound and the lower-than-expected noise level caused great cheering among the e-volo team during the first flights.

People were eager to know whether there would be disturbing or even dangerous vibrations in the mechanic structure of the rotor plane. “Such vibrations are a large problem for normal helicopters,“ stated e-volo managing director Stephan Wolf, adding that “there, the vibrations together with the deafening noise have lead to much discomfort on passenger flights in helicopters.“ Due to the complex structure of the Volocopter in carbon lightweight design, it was not possible to simulate the expected vibrations in the laboratory. “The result of the first flight created a euphoria among the entire project team.“ Wolf and Zosel further stated that “not even the HD video cameras secured to the exterior carbon ring of the rotor plane captured the least vibrations.“

Nearly all problems of normal helicopters are thereby solved.

Advantages of the Volocopter

- Potential to become the world’s safest piece of air sport equipment

- No emissions

- Very easy to fly by joystick

- Easy and cost-efficient pilot training

- Extremely low operating costs and low-maintenance

- Quiet, pleasant sound

- No vibrations

For more information check out: e-volo

Last edited by RCGroups Update; Nov 21, 2013 at 08:51 AM..
Nov 21, 2013, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
So anybody wanna volunteer for the first flight? Pilot? Passenger?!
Nov 21, 2013, 09:11 AM
i want one
Nov 21, 2013, 09:40 AM
Don't look at me like that....
I'd hop right in. One of the most stable platforms there is.
Nov 21, 2013, 09:48 AM
Suspended Account
Except unlike a proper helicopter or airplane, it lacks any ability to 'fly' once power is cut.

I'll take best glide in a Cessna, or a stomach flipping auto-rotation in a helo as opposed to what this thing would do:

Drop like a rock.
Nov 21, 2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmCom
Except unlike a proper helicopter or airplane, it lacks any ability to 'fly' once power is cut.

I'll take best glide in a Cessna, or a stomach flipping auto-rotation in a helo as opposed to what this thing would do:

Drop like a rock.
This is my concern and the issue that this type of aircraft faces. But this thing is cool.
Nov 21, 2013, 10:11 AM
Very cool! I hope there isn't a flip button.
Nov 21, 2013, 10:17 AM
crd
crd
Always tinkering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmCom

Drop like a rock.

You need a MILITARY grade flight controller on that thing so you can see me flying it. It needs a parachute just in case a motor/s fail, ESC burn, or flight controller gets crazy.
Nov 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
There is a strange, box-like shape at the center on the top. This may contain a rocket powered paracute safety system, like many ultralight planes have.
Nov 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
Hope it's under 155lb without battery to be an Ultralight aircraft. They need to make a one person version so it could fit the Ultralight aircraft category as well. More people can use it in the US.
Nov 21, 2013, 10:44 AM
Very nice
Nov 21, 2013, 11:09 AM
AMA 754
How many 6S-5000 LiPoly packs does it require?
Nov 21, 2013, 11:26 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
lots of room on there for fpv gear!
Nov 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez
There is a strange, box-like shape at the center on the top. This may contain a rocket powered paracute safety system, like many ultralight planes have.
I agree, ballistic parachute would be the “non-gliding solution”
Nov 21, 2013, 12:38 PM
Intermediate Multi
I like the pod underneath. I would add one to a model multirotor just for looks.

Quick Reply