Nov 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
Build Log

Carbon fiber & Balsa composite H frame

Hi,
Here is my lightweight and stronger H frame build plan for longer flight time.
Design spec:
H frame (full carbon fiber)
diagonal 750mm
5010-340kv motors
17x5.5 carbon props
turnigy plush 12A
apm2.5-gps-ext.compass
vs.

Cad design:
Last edited by hd27; Nov 19, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2013, 01:24 PM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
Laser cut, balsa core:

130gr balsa and 53gr arms =183gr
Ready for sand:

My friend shows final:
Last edited by hd27; Oct 28, 2016 at 07:32 AM.
Nov 19, 2013, 01:28 PM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
Carbon works:

Finish but need more epoxy...
Nov 19, 2013, 01:33 PM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
Final:

final weight: 320gr only frame
990gr without battery,
I use 4s5000 totaly auw 1520gr.
Nov 19, 2013, 02:02 PM
sweet dreams & flying machines
Very nice, impressive hand lamination work and clear coat as well. Looks great. Hope it flies as well as it looks.
Nov 19, 2013, 02:03 PM
Beautiful ! what about flight time? how long can you fly with 4s 5000mAh battery?
Nov 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamnanFPV
Beautiful ! what about flight time? how long can you fly with 4s 5000mAh battery?
I tested today for crash resistant Body was very strong
Maiden flight maiden crash. I think esc issue.
But it can fly 30 minutes.
maiden fly and crash (2 min 16 sec)
Nov 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
Very nice work but your esc's are a bit too small for the task as you are using them enclosed without cooling. I was running the same set up but with RCtimer 20A SK ESC's and when I tested them indoor without cooling they where getting really warm. I suspect yours are getting fried because of the same reason?

Put some holes in the body and see what happens.

Are your arms removable? I saw you have epoxied them so how do you replace a broken arm?

Daniel
Nov 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpetrescu
Very nice work but your esc's are a bit too small for the task as you are using them enclosed without cooling. I was running the same set up but with RCtimer 20A SK ESC's and when I tested them indoor without cooling they where getting really warm. I suspect yours are getting fried because of the same reason?

Put some holes in the body and see what happens.

Are your arms removable? I saw you have epoxied them so how do you replace a broken arm?

Daniel
Thanks Daniel,
I think 12A esc enough because 1 motor current consuption 2A, totaly 8A at hover in my setup. But you may be right about heat, i didn't check it.
I will buy this esc. (Lightweight, 20A and Simonk) And I will carry it out of body.
My arm not removable. I didn't want to tube clamp for not to increase the weight.
I will replace but how
Nov 19, 2013, 07:53 PM
Loveable rouogh
very cool design. The layup looks very good, nice job on the compound curves. Not sure how you did that with out vacuum bagging it, unless you used more resin then structurally necessary. The problem then is the resin is where the weight is, so the less you use the better.

Carbon is very stiff, but that makes it very brittle, in the race cars we had to design some way to contain the shrapnel if the part failed, because they will kind of explode in a shower of sharp points. From the stand point of crash survival, Kevlar would be superior because of its higher elongation, and similar tensile strength, less dense as well, just does not look as cool.

Ideas to reduce weight, start with a foam mold, rather then wood. Once the resin has cured, you can destructively remove the foam, a rinse with acetone for Styrofoam, just plain water if you can get a chunk of corn starch foam.
Nov 20, 2013, 12:07 AM
How many layers of CF did you use on the body.? I recently made some composite sheet using bamboo fabric and its much lighter and quite strong as well sit not so brittle as CF.

Bamboos sg is 1/4 of the sg of carbon fiber and although its not quite as strong in some applications its more than sufficient. I suspect for the use on reenforce your frame it would be more than sufficient and make it much lighter.

I'm currently working on using combined layers of both CF and bamboo fabric together to do more testing with this material to reduce frame weights.
Nov 20, 2013, 06:06 AM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
I did 1 layer of CF (160gr/m2).I used 0.4m2=60gr CF and 50gr epoxy.

@creativegirl
I know foam mold and i did. But balsa-carbon more strongly rigit and lightweight. I tested
Foam core need more layer CF for strongest(3-4 layers 160gr/m2).
Nov 20, 2013, 08:23 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK
Bamboos sg is 1/4 of the sg of carbon fiber and although its not quite as strong in some applications its more than sufficient. I suspect for the use on reenforce your frame it would be more than sufficient and make it much lighter.
That's interesting. Where do you get your bamboo sheets?
Nov 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd27
Thanks Daniel,
I think 12A esc enough because 1 motor current consuption 2A, totaly 8A at hover in my setup. But you may be right about heat, i didn't check it.
I will buy this esc. (Lightweight, 20A and Simonk) And I will carry it out of body.
My arm not removable. I didn't want to tube clamp for not to increase the weight.
I will replace but how
I think the new Afro Slim are great as you will also save some weight and have also some room to spare and they will not overheat.

Tube change... drill baby drill )

Cheers,

Daniel
Nov 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
Baris ALP
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpetrescu
I think the new Afro Slim are great as you will also save some weight and have also some room to spare and they will not overheat.

Tube change... drill baby drill )

Cheers,

Daniel
I hope Afro will be good.
So I drilled. It was very easy only 10 minutes.

Quick Reply