Nov 17, 2013, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

E-SALy

A couple of weeks ago i came across plans for tailless glider, designed by a german guy named Wolfgang Werling, called SALy.
Now the plans didn't look too complicated and i really liked the look of this model. So i bought myself a stack of wood, a couple of carbonfibre rods and started buiding my very first scratch build plane...

First thing i build for this little bird was the fuse and tail, this all wasn't very exciting, so didn't make a lot of photo's of the fuse, but here's a few anyway:
Name: SALy fuse1.jpg
Views: 432
Size: 131.3 KB
Description:
Name: SALy fuse2.jpg
Views: 436
Size: 160.0 KB
Description:

Next up was the wing, well first of all cutting all the ribs, what a pain in the *** that was! thanks to the shape of the wing you have to cut them separately...
just a picture of some spare ribs:
Name: spare ribs.jpg
Views: 533
Size: 177.7 KB
Description:

I started off with assembling the right hand wing, not very much to tell about it.. Just had to slide the ribs on the corbonfibre rods, glue them on with a drop of CA, install the trailing edge, leading edge and the wing tips, oohw and i had to cut the control surfaces:
Name: RH wing.jpg
Views: 452
Size: 156.9 KB
Description:
Name: RH wing2.jpg
Views: 482
Size: 148.8 KB
Description:

Next logical step was the l/h wing of course, no pictures there because it is an mirror copy of the r/h wing.
Now that both wing halves were complete, they had to be glued together and suddenly i only had one wing:
Name: Wing.jpg
Views: 478
Size: 147.5 KB
Description:

Just for the fun of it, since she was still naked, a picture of the wing and fuse together:
Name: Wing and fuse.jpg
Views: 499
Size: 164.9 KB
Description:

During this whole build process i somehow misplaced my little hatch, so had to build a new one:
Name: Hatch.jpg
Views: 481
Size: 154.6 KB
Description:

Next step on the list, covering her with Oracover.
The plans call for oracover light, but since the spots i sometimes fly are a bit rough, i went for the regular oracover, yes it is heavier, but a bit stronger/more durable aswell.
I did have some minor experience with oracover, but not much, just some minor repair work, so i started off with the fuse and tail. The fuse was easy enough, but i did struggle a bit with the tail, nevertheless, is still was pretty happy with the result:
Name: Covered fuse.jpg
Views: 474
Size: 164.2 KB
Description:

Since i did struggle with the tail, i thought it was a wise decision to call for some help with the wing. My old man has been building planes for a long time, so i let him do most of the covering of the wing, well after i installed the servo's in the wing anyway...
At this point she was almost done! All i had to do was install the motor, ESC, Receiver and the prop/spinner combo.
and suddenly she looks like this:
Name: Done.jpg
Views: 641
Size: 181.1 KB
Description:

To get the CG to the required point i did have to add 22 grams of lead...

After fiddeling a bit with the transmitter settings it was time to find a nice quiet location for her maiden flight:
Name: ready for flight.jpg
Views: 565
Size: 155.4 KB
Description:

First hand launch was, well perfect! she came straight out of my hands, did't have to trim anything, as if she was on rails! You can find a little movie of it right here:
E SALy test flight (0 min 13 sec)

Next launch with motor and got her a bit higher and she made her first real flight!
Now i found her to be a bit nervous, but i guess thats for the most part due to transmitter settings...
Movie of the second flight can be found here:
E-SALy first flight (5 min 8 sec)

Overall she flies like a dream and it was a very fun project to build. The only problem i now have is, this was suppossed to be my winter project...

Gr,
Sjaak
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2013, 01:28 AM
Laser cut kit can be bought from here:
http://shop.vth.de/frasteilesatz-saly.html
http://www.dermodellbauer.ch/fraeste...eile_saly.html
Wood only, no carbon spars included.

Wingspan: 1300 mm
Length: 805 mm
Profile: WW
Drive Ex:. Hacker A10-9L
Battery: Hacker TopFuel 2S/350 mAh
Weight: from 300 gr / 320 gr (motorized)
Nov 18, 2013, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cloud
A couple of weeks ago i came across plans for tailless glider, designed by a german guy named Wolfgang Werling, called SALy.
Now the plans didn't look too complicated and i really liked the look of this model. So i bought myself a stack of wood, a couple of carbonfibre rods and started buiding my very first scratch build plane...
Awesome! I just found those plans a couple of weeks ago, and decided to build one too. It's finished and I'm hoping to maiden it soon, but we're having high winds every day. I went for the glider version, but I may build the motor fuselage too. I'll post a pic maybe tomorrow...
Nov 18, 2013, 03:23 AM
Are planes public somewhere ?
Nov 18, 2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Are planes public somewhere ?
I don't read German so I haven't found much, but I originally found the plan attached in this thread...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=485512&page=2

But I would love to know more.
Nov 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
The plans are public and can be found here:
http://www.vth.de/flugmodell-und-tec...ly-fmt-092011/
(got them from the same location)
Searching the web a bit, i also came across a copy of the magazine "FMT" with building instructions, so yeah everything of this bird is public.

oh yeah, almost forgot, mine came out a bit heavier than the given 320 grams... all up weight 400 grams, but then again, i've got a 1000mah lipo on board...
Nov 18, 2013, 05:02 PM
With that planform and a little creative covering I bet a guy could really confuse the local hawks!
Nov 18, 2013, 09:22 PM
Mine is about 355 grams with a 500mah 2s battery. I broke the tail off today tossing it around at the park in the wind. I haven't had the guts to try a discus launch yet, but I'd probably be better off with some more height. The tail is definitely a weak point, so I'm going to rebuild it around a carbon tube that ties into the last two ply bulkheads.

It was really fun to fly even for short tosses, so rebuilding is a high priority!
Nov 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Ahw thats a shame mate!
I did read on different sites that the tail is its biggest weekness...
Did that center part of the stabilizer break aswell, or is it just the fuse? and what did you use for that center piece? regular pinewood?

@peterlngh: i'm guessing not just the local hawks... At one of our flying sites, we've got a lot of lapwings, they already don't like rc gliders, guess they will really dislike this one...
Nov 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cloud
Ahw thats a shame mate!
I did read on different sites that the tail is its biggest weekness...
Did that center part of the stabilizer break aswell, or is it just the fuse? and what did you use for that center piece? regular pinewood?
Yes the center part broke too. I didn't have any pine so I used bass wood. I was a little worried about it's strength, and I guess I was right. My plan is to replace formers 5 and 6 with new ones that have a round hole instead of rectangular. Then I'll glue in a new tail that has a 3mm (maybe bigger) carbon tube instead of the pine or basswood. I may also put some glass where it joins the fuse.
Nov 19, 2013, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Well i've strengthened that part with some kevlar roving and ca... i just hope that is enough... But if i look at the damage your SALy sustained, i am afraid that i may regret it one day that i didn't reinforce that last part of the fuse with some glass or carbon...
Hope you get your SALy repaired soon mate

Didn't have much air-time with mine yet and because it is getting colder over here, there is a chance it will not take to the skies again untill next year... I can only hope, that before the end of the year, we get a few days of fair weather...
Nov 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
I just started the process... I cut off the fuse diagonally between former 5 and 6 and will splice in some new balsa sheeting. I drilled out former 5 to accept 3mm carbon in the new tail.
Nov 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
I repaired the tail last night and just got back from flying for about 45 minutes. What a fun plane! Highly recommended!

I made a few trim adjustments and went straight into my first attempts at discus launch. Surprisingly easy to get it up there, but I can see that there's a lot of technique involved. At one point I tripped, fell, and thought I'd be going straight home. But I think the fun overcame the pain. I tried to take a little video but I only had my phone so I got mostly empty sky.
Nov 21, 2013, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Nice work mate!
Well thats an other reason why i went for the electric version, i already saw myself eating dirt if i went for the DLG version
Nov 21, 2013, 05:28 PM
HA! Well, I'll be tempted to build the electric version fuselage over the winter.

And for anyone building one, here's what I did with the tail...
  • Drilled formers 5 and 6 with a 3mm hole, instead of the rectangular hole, centered at the location of the old hole.
  • Built the tail with a 3mm carbon tube instead of pine. Mine extends the full length of the horizontal pieces, and is glued with CA.
  • Added a patch of .5 oz glass over both sides of the stabilizer where it joins the fuse.
  • Added about a 1.5cm strip of .5 oz glass to the bottom edge of the stabilizer, front to back.
  • Wrapped the bottom and sides of the fuse from former 5 back with .5 oz glass, and overlapped it onto the stabilizer.

Now it's extremely strong, and can flex without breaking. It might be overkill, but the overall weight gain is hardly noticeable. Maybe 5g.

Quick Reply