Nov 17, 2013, 10:32 AM
Thread OP

Custom batteries

Hello everyone!

I have some question, about custom batteries...

I purchased from a friend of mine two 6s 3.0A bettery packs, but as I use 3s configurations, I want to rewire this packs to 2x 3s for use in parallel with double capacity. But, as I use telemetry I need to have 6s balanced connector, and original wire for charging 1 6s lipo.
I have found this site scriptasylum.com/ and read all about lipo connections, but theory and real life obviously isn't the same.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I use telemetry on my multicopter, and I want to use 2x 3s 2200mAh batteries in parallel, but when I connected this connector, to monitor all 6 cells with telemetry, batteries started to burn.

when I cut midle + wire from connector, I have no reading of last cell of first pack.

The question is, can I after all have two 3s battery packs in parallel, and monitor each cell individually!?!?

I have searched all over web, but I haven't found this configuration and answer for my doubt's, So please, Can somebody explain me what I'm I doing wrong, and how correctly connect these packs without in a safe way

Thank You all for help.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2013, 11:07 AM
You can't have 6 cells connected both in parallel as 3S2P and in series as 6S at the same time. It's simply not physically possible. The only way to monitor the individual cells is as 2 separate 3S packs.

Steve
Nov 17, 2013, 12:46 PM
You can make a parallel harness for the balance taps and connected them in parallel as well. When connected in parallel, cells will equalize to the same electrical potential by virtue of the fact that they're connected by a low impedance connection. Thus, you can monitor the voltage of individual cells. Each individual cell just happens to be connected to another cell that is at the same electrical potential.

Mark
Nov 17, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
You can make a parallel harness for the balance taps and connected them in parallel as well. When connected in parallel, cells will equalize to the same electrical potential by virtue of the fact that they're connected by a low impedance connection. Thus, you can monitor the voltage of individual cells. Each individual cell just happens to be connected to another cell that is at the same electrical potential.

Mark
I'm not sure, if I understood this right.
If I connect 2 3s batteries in parallel, and connect balance connectors in parallel as well, let's say with this connector, Parallel Balance Lead 3S
telemetry or battery check will also see 3s battery connected, and monitor combined 3 cells, and not each one individually. Is that what You meant?
Last edited by mkomarac; Nov 17, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Nov 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
You can't have 6 cells connected both in parallel as 3S2P and in series as 6S at the same time. It's simply not physically possible. The only way to monitor the individual cells is as 2 separate 3S packs.

Steve
I was thinking in some config similar like this, to have balanced connector connected to individual cell, and have two packs in parallel

is this also not possible?
Nov 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
You cannot have both a series and parallel connection with two discrete packs. This will create a dead short, as you've determined in your earlier trials.

My advice - if you plan to use the two packs in parallel, make a parallel connection for both main connector and balance connector and leave them that way for both charging and usage in your model. Your telemetry will 'see' 3 cells. As noted above, the cells within the two individual packs that are connected in parallel will be at the same voltage. Thus, you can effectively monitor all 6 cells.

IMO, fiddling with changing from series to parallel connections is unnecessarily complicated and can do a lot more harm than good.

Mark
Nov 17, 2013, 03:48 PM
That picture shows the 2 packs connected in SERIES making a 6S pack. That works fine. Connecting the 2 packs in parallel does not.

To be honest if you can't understand that, it would be as well not to mess about with multiple packs...you could do yourself some harm.

Steve
Nov 17, 2013, 05:22 PM
Suspended Account
As you found out .

You can short out your LIPOS experimenting. DO NOT DO THAT with LIPOs.
Fire companies may be banging on your door some day

Quick Reply