View Poll Results: Which motor would you prefer?
Motor 1 14 31.82%
Motor 2 21 47.73%
Motor 3 11 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 26, 2004, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Idea

Brushless CD-ROM Motor SURPLUS

Hey folks...

I may have found a source of those brushless cd-rom motors... tired of having to rip apart drives! No idea on prices yet, but before anything else I want to get your opinions on 3 separate motors... the last one is most likely to be used by you microflyers & builders since it's only 7mm tall... Let me know what you think about this, which motor of the 3 (motor1, motor2, or motor3 for simplicity's sake) you'd prefer among all, and lastly what you would consider a fair price (for negotiation's sake). Motor specs are more or less just extra info - we all know we're gonna rewind 'em anywaY...

Take care & keep flyin'...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2004, 08:09 AM
Thread OP

2nd motor...

2nd motor...
Feb 26, 2004, 08:10 AM
Thread OP

3rd motor

3rd motor...
Feb 26, 2004, 08:39 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
are they all ball bearing? what size shafts? and aircraft world sold there surplus motors for $2.20 each, can you match that?

phil
Feb 26, 2004, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Not sure Phil, but I'll find out. Just send an email to the manufacturer - waiting for a response. I would imagine that they're the standard 3mm shafts w/ bb, but don't mark my words just yet. Lemme get it from the horse's mouth!

As for the price Air Craft was charging, I can't even begin to give you a price, as before I start negotiations, i wanted to see which motors you folks preferred!

Stay tuned....
Feb 26, 2004, 08:53 AM
Are the shafts mounted to the bell with plastic flanges? Also the shafts look very short in the pictures.
Feb 26, 2004, 09:04 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
thanks steve i will stay tuned , if the shaft size is 3mm there are lots of sources for longer 3mm shafts and 3mm i/d bearings
i know this might be hard to find out but the diameter and height of the stator would be usefull also.

phil
Feb 26, 2004, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
keep

I posted this same msg in another forum, and since it was moved to this forum, we now have duplicate posts... I will 'kill' the other one...

Also, bringing over the posts from the other one:

"I donno S345 about shinola but I would have to give it to #2, based on the higher max current-4 amps, and torque. I guess if you'r gonna rewind them it is irrelevant. Why not just go for the one woith the biggest stator?

Since you are going to re-do the electromagnets, and you will probably wind (pun intended) up with a 50 watt motor, I put the price at $5-10. If you don't have to rewind it and unit works status quo, $20-40. I assume this is for microflyers. I would expect that as you decrease the power expectations the difference between brushed and brushless becomes less significant.

I like that all of you are constantly trying to provide better stuff for lower prices. That's what I love about this country (or Chinaand the Czech Republic too for that matter!)"
-BEA Flyer
-----------------------------
"Well, still working on the specifics with the manufacturer... I think what I will do is get some sample units initially, and then based on the feedback YOU GUYS provide, send a few out to you guys who are quite experienced with building your own cd-rom motors to determine UNBIASED how these stock motors hold up to reconfiguration. That would see the fair way to do it...

Basically I am sick and tired of gutting cd-drives Figured, hey, if I can get these for cheap, i'm sure others would want to as well...

Stay tuned... awaiting an email response from Taiwan"
-ScubaSteve
-----------------------------

The other post will redirect to THIS one Please reply to THIS one, and remember to use the poll up top!
Feb 26, 2004, 10:01 AM
Just an average RC'er
You need to find out the stator sizes for all the different motors. That is really what will drive which motor is best.

-Jim
Feb 26, 2004, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Passed that question on to the manufacturer I'll let you know as soon as I get a response!
Feb 26, 2004, 10:28 AM
I've rewound several motors and find the most desirable characteristics, in order, to be: Largest stator length, greatest amount of space for windings and, largest mounting hole in center of stator. The first two obviously affect the potential power output of the motor and the last item makes the construction easier if you machine your own mount and shaft housings as I do. I can't tell by your pictures any of these characteristics. If these are surplus motors and are available in the $5 or less category stacking two or more stators would produce a very nice motor.

Dave
Feb 26, 2004, 10:45 AM
As I have had all the motors produced in the last years and have had a chance to check them all out I will say!
Those are the very worst motors to re-build. They have the plastic cap and cannot be removed. If you try to mess with that cap you will be screwed.
Even in the lathe it's tough as the bell has those little slots in the top and the grab in the lathe.
It can be done but is very time consuming.
Best ones have a stamped brass insert in the bell and will hold very well.
You can leave the plastic cap on and glue a nut to it for a prop adapter.
Scott
Littlescreamers.com
Feb 26, 2004, 10:54 AM
Motors
Feb 26, 2004, 10:57 AM
inside!
Feb 26, 2004, 10:58 AM
What happends when you mess with a plastic bell!

Quick Reply