Comet Gull finish - RC Groups
Nov 16, 2013, 05:15 PM
Discussion

Comet Gull finish

I'm finishing up a Comet Gull that my father built a few years ago. We'd like it to be trimmed according to the plans, which says "All yellow, blue trim." (GULL, not GULL II).

I'm looking for a better view than this one. The stripe on the side is clear on the plans I have, but nothing more. Google hasn't been much help

Thanks.

Andy

to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2013, 04:51 AM
Hi Andy,

Not sure if this picture is any help. The plans seem to indicate that the flash down the fuselage is the only decoration, other than the all-over yellow covering.

It's a great looking plane. Been a long time since I built a rubber free flight model, might have to do something about that!
Nov 17, 2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks. On the box art it looks like there's something on the fin too, but it's hard to discern. Maybe we just go with the blue stripe.

This will be electric RC, like I did for the Sparky in the spring.

Andy
Nov 19, 2013, 06:33 PM
I figured I may as well take a few quick photos before I get going too far. The flying surfaces have all be clear doped in preparation for final sanding and covering. The fuselage will have to wait until I have the rest done, so I can adjust the position of the electronics and battery to balance it.

I'm guessing the balance will be between 55% and 75% of the chord of the main wing due to the lifting tail.

Andy
Nov 19, 2013, 09:33 PM
I'd rather be flying.....

comet gull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I figured I may as well take a few quick photos before I get going too far. The flying surfaces have all be clear doped in preparation for final sanding and covering. The fuselage will have to wait until I have the rest done, so I can adjust the position of the electronics and battery to balance it.

I'm guessing the balance will be between 55% and 75% of the chord of the main wing due to the lifting tail.

Andy
Hi Andy -

hey that gull is looking great it's my kind of plane too..

Best Regards,

Jeff
Nov 23, 2013, 05:20 PM
I had a little time to work on the Gull today. I finished covering the tail surfaces and added control horns, then made rails for the servos so I could make exits in the fuselage sides for the pushrods.

Not much, but better than nothing.

Andy
Nov 28, 2013, 09:45 AM

Wheels!

Last Building Season my father made walnut wheels for the Sparky build thread. A couple days ago I received ash wheels for the Gull. These are the same 1-3/8" diameter that the plans show.

Here's a photo of them in the raw state. I need to clear dope them to seal them.

Hopefully this weekend I will finish the Gull so we can fly it at the Armory next week.

Andy
Nov 28, 2013, 12:55 PM
A geriatric flier
Do you ever sleep Andy?
Nov 28, 2013, 01:21 PM
Yup, but only between builds I often work on multiple models at a time. Right now I'm on a covering binge.

Andy
Nov 28, 2013, 02:07 PM
A geriatric flier
And between answering in a cool and collected manner sometimes stupid and unnecessarily aggressive questions and statements on other forums, product development for Spectrum and taking the kids to football.....etc I am sure.
Nov 28, 2013, 03:25 PM
Covering is finished. Gotta put it all together then I'll take some photos.

Andy
Nov 28, 2013, 06:40 PM
Ready to fly!

It's 9.1oz w/o battery, and the battery will be directly under the rear spar which also looks to be the expected CG.

I still need to add the windshield to it. Good project for tomorrow.

Andy
Nov 29, 2013, 10:35 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Very nice Andy. I love rubber models converted to electric R/C, I have seven now and they are all great performers
Nov 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
Thermals, Tom
cute
Dec 06, 2013, 10:52 AM
Hopefully we'll have a successful maiden flight tonight at the Armory. I hope to post more photos and some video.

Andy