Feb 02, 2019, 01:17 AM
Thread OP
That's new, I was still on the mod proposed by Narpat : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/oran...FTDI_ULRS_CC-2

So you're able to flash it without changing anything on the board ? Are you using the regular arduino bootloader or optiboot ?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2019, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
That's new, I was still on the mod proposed by Narpat : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/oran...FTDI_ULRS_CC-2

So you're able to flash it without changing anything on the board ? Are you using the regular arduino bootloader or optiboot ?
I have downloaded the optiboot bootloader via USBASP. Then I connected according to the scheme RX (FTDI) -TX, TX (FTDI) -RX, VCC (FTDI) -> VCC (ICSP), GND (FTDI) -> GND (ICSP), DTR (FTDI) -> RST (ICSP ) and successfully flashed the module by selecting Wolfbox (115200). I am sure it will work with the using default arduino loader with 57600. I did not make any modifications with the board. I found this solution in OpenLRSng thread. And really why shouldn't this work? It's just an arduino with a radio module.

P.S: I'm using 5v FTDI and USBASP. My fuses: low_fuses=0xFF, high_fuses=0xDE, extended_fuses=0x05.
Feb 02, 2019, 10:07 AM
Just got that RX from post office. The only warning : +5V of ISP header is directly connected to Atmega and RFM power. So during flashing they both powered by 5V from PC USB. If I remember correctly, all Atmega lines are in high Z state while flashing, so 3.3V part of RFM is not in danger. But theoretically RFM can draw too much current for USB.

UPD : Atmega is powered by 5 V from DC-DC, with no resistors at RFM lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gppsoft
I did not make any modifications with the board
Is it still necessary to swap CPPM and RSSI lines as Narpat did ? I see CPPM connected to Atmega pin 14 via 220 Ohm and RSSI to pin 1 via RC filter.
Last edited by RD00; Feb 02, 2019 at 11:00 AM.
Feb 02, 2019, 12:05 PM
Just successfully flashed it :

1. Flashed Arduino 1.0.5-r2 bootloader using USBasp and its +5V supply.
2. Connected FTDI : RX->TX, TX-RX, DTR -> 22nF capacitor ->RST. It didn't work without capacitor !. Power from external battery.
3. Loaded some Arduino sketches, then flashed ULRS at 57600. Set parameters, now can see spectrum analyzer.

UPD : Changed 915 MHz RFM by 433 one, now it successfully connects to DIY TX module.

PPM on Atmega pin 1 (where RSSI filter connected), RSSI on TP2 control point, Atmega pin 9. Exactly as on Narpat's picture.
Last edited by RD00; Feb 02, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Feb 02, 2019, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I have downloaded the optiboot bootloader via USBASP. Then I connected according to the scheme RX (FTDI) -TX, TX (FTDI) -RX, VCC (FTDI) -> VCC (ICSP), GND (FTDI) -> GND (ICSP), DTR (FTDI) -> RST (ICSP ) and successfully flashed the module by selecting Wolfbox (115200). I am sure it will work with the using default arduino loader with 57600. I did not make any modifications with the board. I found this solution in OpenLRSng thread. And really why shouldn't this work? It's just an arduino with a radio module.

P.S: I'm using 5v FTDI and USBASP. My fuses: low_fuses=0xFF, high_fuses=0xDE, extended_fuses=0x05.
The only surprising thing is that you got it working without a capacitor between DTR and reset pin. On all Arduino board, the DTR is connected through a capacitor to the reset.
Feb 02, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD00
Is it still necessary to swap CPPM and RSSI lines as Narpat did ? I see CPPM connected to Atmega pin 14 via 220 Ohm and RSSI to pin 1 via RC filter.
Yes, it has a different pinout than the normal OrangeRX modules.
Feb 02, 2019, 07:20 PM
I used arduino uno without chip as FTDI
Feb 02, 2019, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
OK then it included the capacitor already. With a simple FTDI cable the capacitor will be required.
Feb 02, 2019, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Yes, it has a different pinout than the normal OrangeRX modules.
Why not modify the code and make it so that nothing needs to be redone on the board? I do not want to damage the board. What if I want to install another firmware for tests.
Feb 03, 2019, 02:44 AM
1. Why it is impossible to add s.bus output instead of ppm using software serial?
2. UltimateLRS is OpenSource?
Feb 03, 2019, 03:56 AM
Quote:
OK then it included the capacitor already. With a simple FTDI cable the capacitor will be required.
deleted
Feb 03, 2019, 04:48 AM
Quote:
1. Why it is impossible to add s.bus output instead of ppm using software serial?
2. UltimateLRS is OpenSource?
project go to limit and very hard to improve .Happy features availble or move to better other .
Feb 03, 2019, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc my life
project go to limit and very hard to improve .Happy features availble or move to better other .
Maybe you should make it open source?
Feb 03, 2019, 06:15 AM
It was discussed many times here. It is commercial level proprietary project offered as beta for free. So let us say "thanks" to author and use what he offers, or use and modify opensource OpenLRSng.

===============================

That new RX has unacceptable failure rate. On my bench it works for minute or two before unrecoverable "hanged with flashing LEDs" state. Antenna is Vee on 15 cm coaxial cable. Opportunity to check is shielding really helps.
Feb 03, 2019, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Why not modify the code and make it so that nothing needs to be redone on the board? I do not want to damage the board. What if I want to install another firmware for tests.
Maybe in the future but I'm not confident in that orangerx board, for example RD0 has issues with it.

Quick Reply