Jan 27, 2019, 06:58 AM
I am thinking about it right now. Ordered this one. Mavlink parsing code can be mostly taken from MinimOSD, including home distance and direction missed in Turnigy OpenTX telemetry.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2019, 12:08 PM
RX5
RX5
Cool RD00

Would be nice add-on to the tx part. Display some important/relevant settings etc etc.. Maybe cut a hole on the tx case(!). Or just 3d print a case for lcd. Then removable connection(4pin av 3.5mm plug/jack)...

I havent received my module yet ..so I cant comment much. Maybe in 20days time. ��
Jan 27, 2019, 12:29 PM
I don't think that displaying ULRS settings is very interesting on the airfield, it is necessary once while link is tuned and tested. Moreover, ULRS Control Center protocol is proprietary and even if it is not a secret - it can be changed in new versions.

Displaying decoded Mavlink data looks more practical. The only ULRS parameter really needed in flight is TX and RX RSSI. Flipflap announced RADIO STATUS message injection in future versions so it will be part of Mavlink message stream too.
Jan 27, 2019, 12:45 PM
RX5
RX5
RD00

The more im getting excited to have a LRS finally. Mostly for quad use (cinematics)
Jan 27, 2019, 06:31 PM
is there a benefit for installing low pass filter in the receiver side?thanks
Jan 27, 2019, 08:50 PM
RX5
RX5
Guys

Been doing more research. True 1 watt RF output.

With orange UHF, powering it to 6v(max) is ok since data lines from atmega is at 3v3.

However for the wolfbox, its NOT(!) easy? To just power up the RFM module to 6v, Since it says data lines is already at 5v? Is this correct? Or am I missing something?

OR

Replace the 5v regulator with 3v3 for atmega?
Jan 27, 2019, 09:12 PM
Thread OP
Actually 6V doesn't work so well in the long run because some RFM parts get too hot (not the main RF transistor).

Something between 5V and 5.5V works fine.

And you're right, on the OrangeRX and Wolfbox the RFM is directly connected to the atmega so there's no simple way to run both at 5V.

But there's a minor mod to run the atmega at 3.3V, and the RFM at 5V.
Jan 27, 2019, 09:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by axljackass
is there a benefit for installing low pass filter in the receiver side?thanks
The RFM is quite clean so no need for filtering.
Jan 27, 2019, 09:22 PM
RX5
RX5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Actually 6V doesn't work so well in the long run because some RFM parts get too hot (not the main RF transistor).

Something between 5V and 5.5V works fine.

And you're right, on the OrangeRX and Wolfbox the RFM is directly connected to the atmega so there's no simple way to run both at 5V.

But there's a minor mod to run the atmega at 3.3V, and the RFM at 5V.
Ive been reading the narpat mod.. So im now aware a bit of what mod(s) to expect.

Makes my head hurt ��

Back again with SMDs lol..

Anyways its not a priority for now. 1st things 1st. To get this running properly with BF and/or iNav FC. 400mW RF (stock hw) is already enough for testing around a 400feet radius. On my current radio setup(T8SG) @150mW on 2.4GHz I occasionaly get short failsafes on my quad. And its due to using just monopoles for antenna and a CF frame w/c is also RF reflective/blocking.

I do hope my order arrives soon. So I could start poking around with the board/s. Meanwhile ive ordered extra RFM modules just in case I f*k up the orig module ��

EDIT
I could just start with "5v to RFM mod" and check for heating components

No problem routing power/s for atmega and RFM module. I could use linear 3v3 LDO for atmega and a switching 5v buck(these are new designs) for RF.

Now when you say power the atmega with 3v3, this would also mean re-write code for lower power. Right? Since arduino is usually run @5v for 16MHz clock.

Or just get a darn logic level converter between the IO lines?! ��
Last edited by RX5; Jan 27, 2019 at 09:36 PM.
Jan 27, 2019, 09:26 PM
RX5
RX5
Quote:
The RFM is quite clean so no need for filtering.
Thats good to know.

But ive ordered a LP for my planned 1.3GHz video system a week ago. Still unsure if id go this route.

GPS also close this freq. Maybe just use a better 5.8GHz vtx and a "better" antenna.

My goal is 3 kilometers only
Jan 28, 2019, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX5
Ive been reading the narpat mod.. So im now aware a bit of what mod(s) to expect.

Makes my head hurt ��

Back again with SMDs lol..

Anyways its not a priority for now. 1st things 1st. To get this running properly with BF and/or iNav FC. 400mW RF (stock hw) is already enough for testing around a 400feet radius. On my current radio setup(T8SG) @150mW on 2.4GHz I occasionaly get short failsafes on my quad. And its due to using just monopoles for antenna and a CF frame w/c is also RF reflective/blocking.

I do hope my order arrives soon. So I could start poking around with the board/s. Meanwhile ive ordered extra RFM modules just in case I f*k up the orig module ��

EDIT
I could just start with "5v to RFM mod" and check for heating components

No problem routing power/s for atmega and RFM module. I could use linear 3v3 LDO for atmega and a switching 5v buck(these are new designs) for RF.

Now when you say power the atmega with 3v3, this would also mean re-write code for lower power. Right? Since arduino is usually run @5v for 16MHz clock.

Or just get a darn logic level converter between the IO lines?! ��
For a new design, just start with the ULRS Mini schematic, it solves all the issues above.
Jan 28, 2019, 04:03 AM
RX5
RX5
Quote:
For a new design, just start with the ULRS Mini schematic, it solves all the issues above.

Ok got it.

But some of the videos ive seen, they all point out to use 3v3 on the FTDI.

This ULRS mini, was an attempt to fix that issue?
Jan 28, 2019, 08:41 AM
Hello. I have a few questions.

1. I have a problem with "Ultimate LRS Control Center 2.35a rc" After start app if freezing and not reflectable. How this fix? Maybe download other vercion of CC?

2. Can I use a 5 volt USBAsp for programming the receiver, provided that I will not take power from it, but only connect the data(SCK,RST,MISO, MOSI)? I do not have a switchable version of USBASP(5v only)

3. How to configure Bluetooth for settings?

P.S: Orange RX and TX from HK with bluetooth.
Jan 28, 2019, 10:17 AM
RX5
RX5
Hi . few more questions

#1 whats the difference between OPEN_LRS & ULTIMATE_LRS?

#2 I just want to make sure im reading correctly, RFM module can either be used for Tx(remote control transmitter) and Rx (drone or whatever), right?

#2.1 if the RFM module is set as Rx, what is the maximum RF output power? Would 400mW Rx be a terrible idea?

#3 about RSSI.
EDIT: nevermind, its 3v3

#4 I have not downloaded the configurator yet (no idea what to use), since Tx RF output power can be set, could it also set the carrier freq like from a 433MHz module ->> 900MHz? Or module is hardcoded for just a specific band?
Last edited by RX5; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:28 AM.
Jan 28, 2019, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX5
Hi . few more questions

#1 whats the difference between OPEN_LRS & ULTIMATE_LRS?

#2 I just want to make sure im reading correctly, RFM module can either be used for Tx(remote control transmitter) and Rx (drone or whatever), right?

#2.1 if the RFM module is set as Rx, what is the maximum RF output power? Would 400mW Rx be a terrible idea?

#3 about RSSI.
EDIT: nevermind, its 3v3

#4 I have not downloaded the configurator yet (no idea what to use), since Tx RF output power can be set, could it also set the carrier freq like from a 433MHz module ->> 900MHz? Or module is hardcoded for just a specific band?
No, yes, no, yes, no

Quick Reply