Jun 13, 2018, 07:56 AM
Guys, what do you think about creating a telegram group for ULRS?? Communication would be faster and we could also share our progress on the forum.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2018, 08:06 AM
Rana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcp900
But what is the improvement with this mod? Other users could use this board without it.
Since the pins nos. used for ppm and RSSI are different in comparison to the regular Orange Rx
You can't use this board out of the box with the ULRS firmware.
This mod ensures proper PPM & RSSI out as per standard design
Last edited by narpat007; Jun 13, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Jun 13, 2018, 08:11 AM
RC fanatic
FlipFlap,

Can you please advise what the UART signal voltage levels on the ULRS boards? I've just been chatting with another ULRS user who advised that the HC-05 (and it appears also the HC-06) BT adapter requires 3.3v on the Rx pin, so a voltage divider would be required for reliable operation if ULRS is 5v based. Just curious (and a bit lazy as I should get my scope out to check directly!)

Cheers, Paul

edit: Think I have determined that the correct Pro Mini board is the 5V 16MHz version, which suggests 5v signalling on the UART, so maybe a voltage divider is indeed required for the BT adapter Rx connection.

Just one further note - your web page http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/apmp...S_Mini_modules is a little scarce on info regarding which Pro Mini board is required. In fact only once in all the parts lists on there do I see mention of the Pro Mini at all as a required component (its the one with an eBay link, which is what I used to determine its a 5v 16MHz version). Come to mention it, none of those lists have the RFM board included either. - just an oversight/assumption I guess, but this really needs updating to get these added I would suggest.
Last edited by athertop; Jun 13, 2018 at 09:46 AM.
Jun 13, 2018, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007
Since the pins nos. used for ppm and RSSI are different in comparison to the regular Orange Rx
You can't use this board out of the box with the ULRS firmware.
This mod ensures proper PPM & RSSI out as per standard design
Two users said in previous posts that the board worked with ULRS, the only problem was that the signal strength (RSSI) was available just as an analog signal, not as servo signal. This mod repairs that?
Last edited by gcp900; Jun 13, 2018 at 10:36 AM.
Jun 13, 2018, 06:04 PM
Build more, websurf less
gcp900,

I think on that 1W Rx board the RSSI signal comes off the trace marked PPM and the PPM signal comes off the trace marked RSSI. I was able to use it by connecting the PPM from the flight controller to the RSSI pin on the Rx. The RSSI was still available as a PWM value embedded in one of the serial PPM channels as per a standard ULRS feature.

I think narpat007's modifications are the right way to go if you really want to use that OrangeRx part with ULRS. However, if you are able to do those modifications then you might as well just build a set of one of the ULRS DIY boards.

I had back luck with the reliability of OrangeRx equipment so to fly I built some Spongeboards and they have worked perfectly now for many flights.

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Jun 13, 2018 at 06:11 PM.
Jun 13, 2018, 06:18 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by athertop
FlipFlap,

Can you please advise what the UART signal voltage levels on the ULRS boards? I've just been chatting with another ULRS user who advised that the HC-05 (and it appears also the HC-06) BT adapter requires 3.3v on the Rx pin, so a voltage divider would be required for reliable operation if ULRS is 5v based. Just curious (and a bit lazy as I should get my scope out to check directly!)

Cheers, Paul

edit: Think I have determined that the correct Pro Mini board is the 5V 16MHz version, which suggests 5v signalling on the UART, so maybe a voltage divider is indeed required for the BT adapter Rx connection.

Just one further note - your web page http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/apmp...S_Mini_modules is a little scarce on info regarding which Pro Mini board is required. In fact only once in all the parts lists on there do I see mention of the Pro Mini at all as a required component (its the one with an eBay link, which is what I used to determine its a 5v 16MHz version). Come to mention it, none of those lists have the RFM board included either. - just an oversight/assumption I guess, but this really needs updating to get these added I would suggest.

Paul,

I've used 5V/16MHz Arduino Pro Mini boards from an ebay supplier for about $2 a pop. I also got some "real" ones from Sparkfun at $10 each. They had some physical differences like a different push button and component layout, but the pin-outs on both were the same and both worked.

I'm pretty sure that the Arduino's FTDI interface uses 3.3v only because flipflap took care to point out that we should use only a 3.3v FTDI adapter.

Paul
Jun 13, 2018, 07:33 PM
Rana
Quote:
Two users said in previous posts that the board worked with ULRS, the only problem was that the signal strength (RSSI) was available just as an analog signal, not as servo signal. This mod repairs that?
See, the thing is like that, the RSSI is tapped at pin #9 of the ATMega328 in regular Orange RX 1W (The one which is used to interface the Turnigy or Futaba Transmitters) this is what is suggested by Flip Flap in his main page.

And the RSSI, in the 1W mini RX is taken from pin #1 of the ATMega328, so it is quite different in both so what the software will do it it ?
Jun 14, 2018, 01:05 AM
I have a problem with new orangerx 1w rx module. It makes noise to air on 430-470mhz, but olny if it connected to tx.
It looks like many peaks.
Also it getting high temperature very quick.
Jun 14, 2018, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooi
I have a problem with new orangerx 1w rx module. It makes noise to air on 430-470mhz, but olny if it connected to tx.
I am starting to believe its better to build our own ULRS mini board than using the new orange rx, too much troubles.

Is there too much difference if I use 5% tolerance resistors instead of 1%?? I asked before but no one answered me. I would like to build the new bee receiver board.
Jun 14, 2018, 07:05 AM
Rana
Quote:
I am starting to believe its better to build our own ULRS mini board than using the new orange rx, too much troubles.

Is there too much difference if I use 5% tolerance resistors instead of 1%?? I asked before but no one answered me. I would like to build the new bee receiver board.
There is absolutely no issue even if you use 10% tolerance components (RESISTORS & CAPACITORS). People who love DIY rather than buying, it will be much much better to build their own ULRS_Mini_Bee, I like it very much personally.

But not many people are able to go via the DIY way then the most reliable one on the plane side is the Orange RX OpenLRSng 433MHz Receiver Module, I am powering it from the balance port of the main lipo in the plane.
Jun 14, 2018, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007
There is absolutely no issue even if you use 10% tolerance components (RESISTORS & CAPACITORS). People who love DIY rather than buying, it will be much much better to build their own ULRS_Mini_Bee, I like it very much personally.

But not many people are able to go via the DIY way then the most reliable one on the plane side is the Orange RX OpenLRSng 433MHz Receiver Module, I am powering it from the balance port of the main lipo in the plane.
Have you tried the bee board? Works properly?
Jun 14, 2018, 09:26 AM
Rana
Quote:
I tried it by making it on a multipurpose pcb and its working fine, I am yet to order the blank PCB's
Jun 14, 2018, 09:39 AM
Rana
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooi
chooi, it would be better if you could elaborate more on your testing. See, as far as RF portion is concerned then I would say, it is no different than than the standard OrangeRX 1W TX modules for Turnigy or Futaba.

There is a LPF in the output stage in RFB23BP which is common for every board using RFB23BP. Whatever peaks you mentioned, with your setup, same will be there with any other module operating on same set of 4 frequency channels.

You may not be able to observe these extra peaks if you are receiving at larger distance.
Jun 16, 2018, 11:19 AM
Quote:
It works very well. For me and my friends.

This is not the maximum distance. But the video can not go beyond this.

Note.... Rssi in the picture is also set incorrectly.
Jun 16, 2018, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopkorn
It works very well. For me and my friends.

This is not the maximum distance. But the video can not go beyond this.

Note.... Rssi in the picture is also set incorrectly.

Impressive!

This with the bee board as both receiver and transmitter?

What antennas are you using?

Quick Reply