May 14, 2018, 05:58 PM
How to set a BOD fuse ?
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2018, 07:54 PM
Build more, websurf less
roalddogge,

I recommend going through posts 13202 through 13276 in this forum. We went through the process.

I recommend highly that you only set the value for the BOD efuse using the CLI avrdude command given by flipflap earlier (and also on the IT_Luxembourg ULRS website). I tinkered with the other fuses and bricked a few boards.

You have to connect your SPI programmer to six pins on the Arduino board or the six SPI pins on the OrangeRx module. Then run the command from your PC.

Paul
May 14, 2018, 10:54 PM
Ok, the result so far:

Managed to get an USBasp running and change the fuse setting on the module which was working.

Also managed to reflash the bricked one, but still no sign of life. I am guessing that something else has failed.

Will order a new one and see how it goes

Ro
May 15, 2018, 09:30 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaapu
Hi, my script cannot run on ersky9x radios for Lua is no longer available on ersky9x due it's high memory requirements.

They switched to a different language designed to be memory efficient, the author talks about it here
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10325

Alex
Alex, tested your script yesterday on a test quad I built running pixracer. Works a treat. It's amazing what you have achieved. You should setup a rcg thread to discuss it. I'd like to chat more but don't want to fill up the ULRS thread.
May 15, 2018, 11:29 AM
Thread OP
It's completely on topic, feel free to write in this thread
May 15, 2018, 03:39 PM
Hi flipflap ,finished my ulrs flashed with 1.6 stable ,,connect grate with plane .tested in 1km ,sold link .but when flashed it with 2.35rc to use spectrum analyzer ,bind good with same code ,same channels order ,delay with ppm,telemetry speed very bad ,dont know why ?,I returned to v 1.6 to fly with ,is there any spectrum analyzer for 1.6 version ?thanks in advanced
May 15, 2018, 06:17 PM

OrangeRX 1W full power + 9x telemetry + bluetooth mod

I just finished moding my OrangeRX 1W TX module

First, I wanted to be able to receive the telemetry datas and display it on the screen of my FlySky 9X.
I also wanted to be able to talk with my plane using MavLink protocol through the ulrs system with my ground station software.
Then, I wanted to also have the possibility of doing this via Bluetooth (with the Tower app on Android)
Finaly, I wanted full 1W power.

I did already mod my 9x to be able to display FrSky telemetry (hardware mod + er9x installation)
I could have placed a MavLink to FrSky adapter on my plane, but that would prevent me from talking to the plane with my ground station software.
So what I did is I placed the translator between the tx pin of my receiver and the "rf" pin on the back of the module (which is the pin used by the 9x for receiving telemetry datas after the telemetry mod)
It took me some time to figure out a few things that were preventing this from working, but with some help (mainly Mike, er9x developper), I managed to get it working.
First, the FrSky telemetry link is not just acting as a passthrough. If we're not passing our datas through a FrSky link, then the protocol we need to select in er9x is not FrSky. instead, we need to select HbRaw.
Then, the signal comming out of the translator is inverted, because it's how it needs to be when the translator is on the aircraft side. But we don't want this so we need to find a way to reverse back the signal. It could be done with hardware, but the software I used did provide an easy way of doing it. All I needed to do is to change a setting in the program.
I used Mike's translator : https://github.com/MikeBland/APM_Mavlink_to_FrSky
To reverse back the signal, we just need to uncomment this line in Aserial.h : "#define NON_INVERTED_HUB_SERIAL 1"
And that's it, we're now able to receive telemetry datas and show them on the screen !

For the Bluetooth, I just used a female header, rx of the bluetooth module is directly connected to tx of the orangeRx, but tx is connected to rx through a resistor. I did set the bluetooth module's baud rate to 57600.

To achieve (nearly) full power, I used a 5V buck converter to avoid heat.

I managed to pack everything in the original box, except for the bluetooth module. It has to be outside, there's no more room to fit it inside.
So I made this to be able to plug it only when I want.
It's also impossible to plug it in the wrong way because of the antenna.
May 17, 2018, 01:39 AM
Nice work Fardenco

Have you checked to see if you get any rf noise from the buck converter? Or maybe you shielded it?
May 17, 2018, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zs6buj
Nice work Fardenco

Have you checked to see if you get any rf noise from the buck converter? Or maybe you shielded it?
I did place the Arduino between the converter and the rf module, the converter has a ground plane on the bottom side, and my rf module is shielded.
But I still have to check, using the ulrs spectrum analyzer
May 17, 2018, 06:17 PM

Suitable 5V supply

I'm intrigued by the capabilities being developed in these little modules and firmware and would like to give it a go. So, I've got a few "get myself headed in the right direction" questions. I hope you'll bear with me--I confess that while I've read a few hundred of these posts scattered here and there, I haven't read through this whole thread. (And while I studied mechanical engineering in college, that was a long time ago, and I'm certainly no electronics engineer.)

So, with the understanding that I'm going for a ~1W system...

1) I'm leaning toward using the OrangeRX OpenLRSNG TXs for both TX and RX. Is there any downside to using this particular TX board as a Receiver?

2) For the 1W, I found this switching voltage converter that is quite a bit cheaper than the one recommended (DE-SWADJ) and also a bit smaller. Would this cheaper one be a viable alternative?

3) And finally, has anyone considered putting up an "AWACS" plane in loiter mode over Home, repeating 2.4 from the ground station to 433 out to the remote UAV? (Maybe with a 6 or 8 element beamforming/phased antenna array installed in a pod to keep gain directed toward the remote craft?)

Thanks!
May 17, 2018, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Hi Britt,

Welcome to the ULRS project !

First of all notice that all information is presented is an organized way on the project site here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ultimate-lrs/

No need to read the whole thread...

1) The OrangeRX is a good module for the price, its weak point is the UFL cable that you'd better replace : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/hobb...z-modules-faq/

Consider building your own modules here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/apmp...mate-lrs-mini/

2) Any regulator will work.

3) I'm not aware of someone doing this with a flying repeater, however several users have made a repeater that's on a high pole. I don't know what range you want to achieve, the current records are here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ultimate-lrs-range/ Notice that 40 km ground to ground was achieved, and that nobody really found the limit of the system which is estimated to more that 112 km with a good yagi : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti..._still_farther
May 17, 2018, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zs6buj
Nice work Fardenco

I checked the switching regulator from the OrangeRX with a real spectrum analyzer and didn't see any measurable interference.
May 17, 2018, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboud M
Hi flipflap ,finished my ulrs flashed with 1.6 stable ,,connect grate with plane .tested in 1km ,sold link .but when flashed it with 2.35rc to use spectrum analyzer ,bind good with same code ,same channels order ,delay with ppm,telemetry speed very bad ,dont know why ?,I returned to v 1.6 to fly with ,is there any spectrum analyzer for 1.6 version ?thanks in advanced
There's no spectrum analyzer for the 1.06, and the 2.X is even faster than the 1.06. Try using different channels.
May 17, 2018, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardenco
I just finished moding my OrangeRX 1W TX module

First, I wanted to be able to receive the telemetry datas and display it on the screen of my FlySky 9X.
I also wanted to be able to talk with my plane using MavLink protocol through the ulrs system with my ground station software.
Then, I wanted to also have the possibility of doing this via Bluetooth (with the Tower app on Android)
Finaly, I wanted full 1W power.

I did already mod my 9x to be able to display FrSky telemetry (hardware mod + er9x installation)
I could have placed a MavLink to FrSky adapter on my plane, but that would prevent me from talking to the plane with my ground station software.
So what I did is I placed the translator between the tx pin of my receiver and the "rf" pin on the back of the module (which is the pin used by the 9x for receiving telemetry datas after the telemetry mod)
It took me some time to figure out a few things that were preventing this from working, but with some help (mainly Mike, er9x developper), I managed to get it working.
First, the FrSky telemetry link is not just acting as a passthrough. If we're not passing our datas through a FrSky link, then the protocol we need to select in er9x is not FrSky. instead, we need to select HbRaw.
Then, the signal comming out of the translator is inverted, because it's how it needs to be when the translator is on the aircraft side. But we don't want this so we need to find a way to reverse back the signal. It could be done with hardware, but the software I used did provide an easy way of doing it. All I needed to do is to change a setting in the program.
I used Mike's translator : https://github.com/MikeBland/APM_Mavlink_to_FrSky
To reverse back the signal, we just need to uncomment this line in Aserial.h : "#define NON_INVERTED_HUB_SERIAL 1"
And that's it, we're now able to receive telemetry datas and show them on the screen !

For the Bluetooth, I just used a female header, rx of the bluetooth module is directly connected to tx of the orangeRx, but tx is connected to rx through a resistor. I did set the bluetooth module's baud rate to 57600.

To achieve (nearly) full power, I used a 5V buck converter to avoid heat.

I managed to pack everything in the original box, except for the bluetooth module. It has to be outside, there's no more room to fit it inside.
So I made this to be able to plug it only when I want.
It's also impossible to plug it in the wrong way because of the antenna.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure it will be useful for many users.

I'd like to add it to the site but would like to understand better how this is different from the solution described here ? http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti...on-taranis-01/
May 17, 2018, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaapu
Hi, my script cannot run on ersky9x radios for Lua is no longer available on ersky9x due it's high memory requirements.

They switched to a different language designed to be memory efficient, the author talks about it here
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10325

Alex
Thanks Alex for your work !

Quick Reply