May 12, 2018, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcp900
Hello again guys,

Yesterday I flashed the new orangerx unit with bluetooth and everything went ok. I have been reading about how to connect the unit to laptop through the bluetooth but there's something I don't have clear. For a bluetooth connection between two devices we need obviously two bluetooth modules on both sides. You explain how to configure bluetooth in the tx unit with ftdi, but if I want to connect tx to ULRS CC is it enough to use a standard usb bluetooth (my laptop don't have bluetooth)?? How can I connect??

I think this is not well explain on the web neither.

Thanks!!
Exactly, you need any device that has already bluetooth, for example a smartphone with bluetooth, or a laptop with bluetooth, or a laptop + an USB bluetooth dongle.

I know it can seem strange but bluetooth is really an universal standard and any device with bluetooth will be able to communicate with the ULRS with bluetooth.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2018, 07:32 AM
I know bluetooth is an universal standard, but when I try to choose it to connect from ulrs cc nothing appears. How can I use it?
May 12, 2018, 09:51 AM
I answered myself. Was using a wireless keyboard receiver insted of bluetooth haha!

Ok, now I am trying to bind computer with bluetooth module from tx unit. As wayno_complaino said it is not neccesary to configure anything so I went directly to plug the unit in my taranis qx7 and now bluetooth module inside the orangerx is blinking the whole time with red color. When I try to search I find "lrsbt" between other devices, and I suppose it is that device because I know the other devices and "lrsbt" sounds like "Long Range System Bluetooth" hehe. Anyway, in spite of appears to be paired the led keeps blinking and ultimate lrs can not connect. Could you please give me some help? And please, this is another thing to update on the web as there is no information online, just how to configure baudrate an five simple steps to connect to tower software. Maybe is simple, but for first time you have to research on your own. It is not a bad critic, just a critic to improve ULRS and information on web for new users as I pointed out with the mess between firmware/bootloader/FTDI/usbasp there was on the new section for new orangerx modules.

And of course, thanks for your help as always!!
Last edited by gcp900; May 12, 2018 at 09:57 AM.
May 12, 2018, 12:54 PM
Build more, websurf less
Hi all,

I am thinking of giving the bluetooth solution a try - as I want to get rid of the FTDI cable that tethers my transmitter to my Mission Planner PC.

Can you suggest an available bluetooth module known to work with ULRS?

I assume you connect it to the FTDI interface on the Arduino, right?

Thanks,

Paul
May 12, 2018, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
To both of you, the best place to start with bluetooth is this page on the site http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/usin...etooth-module/

However this is for users who use an external bluetooth module and connect it to ULRS. I think that the bluetooth module provided with the OrangeRX (the combo) is already configured (baudrate already set) but I never tried that one so I'm not completely sure.

On this page you'll find also a link to a tested bluetooth module sold on ebay.
May 12, 2018, 03:26 PM

Lua on ersky9x

Quote:
Hi everyone, can this LUA script work on 9xrpro with ersky9x firmware?
Hi, my script cannot run on ersky9x radios for Lua is no longer available on ersky9x due it's high memory requirements.

They switched to a different language designed to be memory efficient, the author talks about it here
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10325

Alex
May 12, 2018, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
To both of you, the best place to start with bluetooth is this page on the site http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/usin...etooth-module/

However this is for users who use an external bluetooth module and connect it to ULRS. I think that the bluetooth module provided with the OrangeRX (the combo) is already configured (baudrate already set) but I never tried that one so I'm not completely sure.

On this page you'll find also a link to a tested bluetooth module sold on ebay.
The module provided with orangerx combo is a crius module. If you look for it on google there are a lot of videos explaining how to use it. Anyway, since I found out all the information I am going to explain it.

1 Flash the orangerx with an FTDI as if it were a wolfbox module (as wayno_complaino explained).
2 Put the module in your radio transmitter
3 A red led will start to blink. Now you can look for the module with your bluetooth, it will appear as "lrsbt".
4 Bind it as normal. It will ask you about password, just put 0000 (or if it does not work, 1234).
5 Then it will appear as "connected", although it will continue blinking.
6 Two new com ports will be created, one incoming and one outgoing. Now you can use them to communicate as if it were a normal serial connection on your software (ULRS CC, Mission Planner, Tower...). Normally, the port used for this is the outgoing port. You can check it clicking on bluetooth configuration (it should be clicking with right mouse button on the bluetooth icon near the Windows clock). Once inside click on the com ports tab, you will see them.

Thats it. Anyway, I have to say that ULRS CC gets stuck when I try to start it for connecting through bluetooth, but that does not happens when I use mission planner, so I supposed it is a problem of ULRS CC (take a look when you can).

Just one last thing, once you start to communicate with any software through bluetooth the red led stops blinking and stays fixed.

Hope this can be useful for new people.
Last edited by gcp900; May 14, 2018 at 05:36 AM.
May 13, 2018, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
OK thanks, I've added a link to your post on the site.

Yes there's an incompatibility between ULRS CC and bluetooth modules. Quite unexpectedly, the byte sequence sent by ULRS CC on all COM ports to detect an ULRS module, seems to hang when it reaches the bluetooth COM port.
May 13, 2018, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
OK thanks, I've added a link to your post on the site.

Yes there's an incompatibility between ULRS CC and bluetooth modules. Quite unexpectedly, the byte sequence sent by ULRS CC on all COM ports to detect an ULRS module, seems to hang when it reaches the bluetooth COM port.
Thanks flipflap. It would be fine to fix that issue. It is more comfortable to work with bluetooth once the unit has been flashed than using wires. Just a suggestion for future updates, I know no one of us makes money with this and normally doesn't even have time.

Step by step this is improving. Thanks!
May 13, 2018, 01:33 PM
so if i understand correctly ,,(i know i dont )
i need bt module to upload mission parameters from mission planer ?
so win 10 tablet over bt to autopilot bt module ?
May 13, 2018, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfly
so if i understand correctly ,,(i know i dont )
i need bt module to upload mission parameters from mission planer ?
so win 10 tablet over bt to autopilot bt module ?
No, bluetooth is just a more comfortable way to communicate with software like mission planner from the Tx unit. The common way is to use an FTDI (serial connection), but in that case you need wires.
May 14, 2018, 12:37 AM
Hi,

I got two JR TX modules and flashed them with the latest firmware.

The intention was to use them for telemetry downlink intially.

Flightcontroller is an Omnibus F4 V3, running Arduplane.

At first it was working great. But after few times powering up the module in the plane died.

I checked the voltage levels of UART 1 from the Omnibus and they are about 3.6 - 3.9 V

Could that have been the cause of failure ? If so, what would be a good remedy to solve this issue ?

Thanks in advance

Ro
May 14, 2018, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qczek
Hi,

i almost finished with sbus reading (TX module),
there will be external inverted required, and ouput telemetry will be fixed to 57600, but both will work in parallel...
Krzysiek
I wish ULRS also can this do because Taranis can output direct SBUS or use a RX sbus from a RX frsky
May 14, 2018, 11:56 AM
Dragonlink had the same issue with bluetooth. They managed to fix it somehow.
May 14, 2018, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roalddogge
Hi,

I got two JR TX modules and flashed them with the latest firmware.

The intention was to use them for telemetry downlink intially.

Flightcontroller is an Omnibus F4 V3, running Arduplane.

At first it was working great. But after few times powering up the module in the plane died.

I checked the voltage levels of UART 1 from the Omnibus and they are about 3.6 - 3.9 V

Could that have been the cause of failure ? If so, what would be a good remedy to solve this issue ?

Thanks in advance

Ro
UART voltage seems OK, well it seems it's a 5V UART, but as it's transmitting you see a lower voltage. Of course it's difficult to determine the cause without more information, but if it's an OrangeRX it can likely be revived by reprogramming it.

It's possible that the bootloader is lost, in which case you'll have to use an USBasp programmer. Take the opportunity to set up the BOD fuse, it should avoid this type of issue.

Quick Reply