May 04, 2018, 04:44 PM
Build more, websurf less
Regarding the servo chatter problem: Earlier I reported some success with adding servo extensions with ferrite toroids. With the ferrite rings I was able to reduce the attenuator from 20dB to 12dB and stop the servo chattering. I also tried servo boosters without any improvement . The setup still required the 12dB attenuator to keep the Hitec servos from chattering.

The last resort was to cut out the Hitecs and replace them with the same EMAX ES08MA-II 12gm metal gear servos that are currently used for the ailerons - the EMAXs in the wing are less susceptible to the RF emissions, but not completely. I was able to keep all of the EMAXs from chattering by using the ferrite ringed servo extensions and a 6dB attenuator.

Took a successful test flight this afternoon and was able to measure a known distance and the RSSI at that distance. From these I estimated an even longer potential range with the 6dB attenuation.

Had a thought: The wing servos seem to be less susceptible to the RF than the rudder and elevator servos in the fuse. The rudder and elevator both have a thin wire pushrod that runs all the way from the control horns in the tail to the servo horns on the servos in the forward part of the fuse. Could these pushrods be a conduit of the RF energy that is affecting the servos?

Next test will be to fit my turnstile antenna.
Last edited by FlyingW; May 05, 2018 at 04:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2018, 04:37 PM
Build more, websurf less
Hooked up the turnstile antenna. At first there was no chattering (without attenuation), but a little occurred depending on whether I was touching the antenna and how it was oriented. I will try again later.

Seems like these things sometimes work well one time and then not the next time.
May 05, 2018, 06:24 PM
Thread OP
This is RF interferences to the servos. There are two factors :

1) the servo brand : some brands are sensitive to RF signals. That's why you have 2 servos that are affected, and two servos from another brand that aren't affected.
2) the antenna : depending on the antenna the RF radiation pattern will be different, and the SWR will be different. Touching the antenna is changing the SWR. That's why you don't have this interference with a dummy load or with an attenuator.
May 05, 2018, 09:42 PM
Build more, websurf less
I have replaced the Hitec servos. I now have all four servos changed to the EMAX ones that were less susceptible to the RF.

Even now I can only get the system to stop chattering with ferrite ring servo extensions and a 6dB attenuator in front of the antenna.

The turnstile antenna gave no improvement to the chattering.

With what servo brand were you successful?
May 07, 2018, 08:19 PM
Build more, websurf less
Using the ULRS this evening I had three more flights including a successful Arduplane auto-landing.

With this progress my ULRS project officially transitions from testing ULRS to using it as a working system to be used to support other interesting flight testing.

Thanks flipflap,

Paul
May 07, 2018, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Congrats Paul !

Autolanding is one of my favorite arduplane features. Once correctly set up it's a pleasure to watch the plane park itself in a precise spot.
May 08, 2018, 03:41 AM
Great work on the forum flipflap and all the other contributors for the great work done here, moving the technology forward.

I followed this group for a while, but a few weeks back my Orange 1W units arrived and now I'm into it. The equipment is not on a aircraft yet, but all running nicely on the desktop. But soon...

The one little glitch for me was I missed the telemetry display on the Taranis. I know we can route the Mavlink to a laptop or tablet with MP or qGC, but for a quick flight the Taranis (or Horus) display is great.

I've been using FlightDeck, but then yaapu's fantastic LUA script came along, and I've been using that . See here These display scripts require the passthrough protocol. And thank you yaapu for the good advice.

So, for anyone interested, I've written a Mavlink to Passthrough converter firmware, which I run on a Teensy 3.2. It will also run on a cheap STM32F103 with a few little mods and an inverter.

The beta version is here on GitHub . You need to build it and flash to the Teensy. I'll add binaries when I get a chance. Note that this firmware is not yet properly tested, and any feedback on bugs or improvements will be welcome. Hope it's useful to someone.

Last edited by zs6buj; May 08, 2018 at 08:40 AM.
May 08, 2018, 04:42 AM
Thread OP
This is just so cool !

I'll add it to the site and it will surely attract a lot of ULRS users.

Thanks for your work !
May 08, 2018, 04:51 AM
Rana
Excellent work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs6buj
Great work on the forum flipflap and all the other contributors for the great work done here, moving the technology forward.

I followed this group for a while, but a few weeks back my Orange 1W units arrived and now I'm into it. The equipment is not on a aircraft yet, but all running nicely on the desktop. But soon...

The one little glitch for me was I missed the telemetry display on the Taranis. I know we can route the Mavlink to a laptop or tablet with MP or qGC, but for a quick flight the Taranis (or Horus) display is great.

I've been using FlightDeck, but then yaapu's fantastic LUA script came along, and I've been using that . See here These display scripts require the passthrough protocol. And thank you yaapu for the good advice.

So, for anyone interested, I've written a Mavlink to Passthrough converter firmware, which I run on a Teensy 3.2. It will also run on a cheap STM32F103 with a few little mods and an inverter.

The beta version is here on GitHub . You need to build it and flash to the Teensy. I'll add binaries when I get a chance. Note that this firmware is not yet properly tested, and any feedback on bugs or improvements will be welcome. Hope it's useful to someone.

May 08, 2018, 11:56 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:

Awesome work on the teensy code! I was involved in the former teensy project to convert mavlink to frsky, and always had the idea of doing a passthru version but so glad you achieved this. Great job. I'll be happy to test it. Does it also work on Plane?
May 08, 2018, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I came across the great work you did before. The firmware is essentially frame-type agnostic, other than reporting frame to the Taranis LUA scripts to display and enunciate frame-relavent flight modes. So yes, it should work for a plane.
Last edited by zs6buj; May 08, 2018 at 11:57 PM.
May 08, 2018, 03:46 PM
Build more, websurf less
Please explain this capability to me at a high level - does it enable you to use the Taranis transmitter and display instead of a PC and Mission Planner?

Thanks,

Paul
May 08, 2018, 06:58 PM
Quote:

i want to use with a STM32F103 kit , Board TEENSY is not cheap
May 08, 2018, 09:20 PM
oldmanquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc my life
i want to use with a STM32F103 kit , Board TEENSY is not cheap
you can use promini its been done works great that what i use for well over year
May 08, 2018, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Please explain this capability to me at a high level - does it enable you to use the Taranis transmitter and display instead of a PC and Mission Planner?

Thanks,

Paul
Yes, exactly.

Quick Reply