Apr 23, 2018, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Congrats for first flight !

If you have the opportunity to try other antennas and/or other servos it would be interesting to compare. You could also try placing the antenna on the wing (horizontal or vertical) and see the effect.

Regarding mavlink server, I should add a warning for this, but it's not supposed to work when switching to other tabs such as status or spectrum analyzer. The reason is just that to display the spectrum analyzer or status, ULRS CC is sending additional data on the serial link and it wasn't supposed to be used at the same time as the mavlink server. No big problem but you'll get exactly what you had observed.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2018, 10:01 PM
Build more, websurf less
I have an IBCrazy 433MHz turnstile antenna to try out on the wing as well.

Ok, good to know about the mavlink server. I did tab the ULRS-CC back to the status page. As you said, not a big deal.
Apr 24, 2018, 08:15 AM
hello Ben
thanks for your great project ...
this is my Diy 8 ch ppm radio based on your ulrs ...
I use it for all of my Rc models
Name: 12.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 131.7 KB
Description:

Name: photo_2018-03-10_13-36-32.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 63.7 KB
Description:
Apr 24, 2018, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Hi Babak I'm travelling for the moment so I can just make a short comment, but it looks really nice !

I'd like to add it on the site in the user provided content but can you give a little more details about your project ?
Apr 24, 2018, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi Babak I'm travelling for the moment so I can just make a short comment, but it looks really nice !

I'd like to add it on the site in the user provided content but can you give a little more details about your project ?
it use Atmega micro controller and read 6 ADC that connect to potentiometers for channels of 1,2,3,4,6,7 and ch8 use simple switch for digital input.
for mode selecting at channel 5 ,I prefer that use 6 Momentary switches for different mode ,so when press any of 6 switches new mode is selectable ,of course in my previous version ,I used 2 switches ( 2 and 3 state) for 6 mode.
this program get 3 times sample for each potentiometer , then use average value and for digital input simple reading pin is used, then send all of values as ppm signal to specified ppm output at timer interrupt, each 20 ms.
it also used one of ADC channel for reading battery voltage and 3 level is defined for different blinking the battery Alarm Led.
because of the different model of potentiometer has a little difference behavior,it need at the first test calibrate for each potentiometer that give the best range in 1000 to 2000 .
in this version the "exp" or "end point" for sticks is not define and I think that for Arducopter it's no need.
I used this program about 2 years with your Ulrs version 1.06 and 2.xx and has no any problem .
Name: 20180118_105103.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 177.1 KB
Description:

Name: 55.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 349.7 KB
Description:

Name: 555.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 94.1 KB
Description:
Last edited by babak_ea; Apr 24, 2018 at 02:46 PM.
Apr 24, 2018, 11:24 PM
Build more, websurf less
To confirm how to record pwm values for failsafe using the "button push" method: Set the Tx stick and switch positions, then on the Tx Spongeboard short the button pin to ground.

Is that it?
Apr 25, 2018, 03:51 AM
Thread OP
And the Rx must be powered up as well : the failsafe values are stored in the Rx Eeprom memory.
Apr 25, 2018, 07:40 AM
i saw a new modul , it use si4432 , PCB seem same RF23 , 30dbm

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=14#detail
Apr 25, 2018, 09:06 AM
Build more, websurf less
Regrading failsafe: Still cannot get the receiver to record the PWM values from the transmitter when I press the button. I saw the LEDs on the Tx flicker when I pressed the button so I think I did send the command.

After, when I turn off the transmitter, the receiver continues to send the PWM values that were present at the moment that I turned off the Tx - and not the values recorded during the button press.

I suppose as we discussed months ago it may be that my Futaba transmitter sends only 8 channels and not 16 to the Spongeboard and the failsafe feature may be sensitive to that difference.
Last edited by FlyingW; Apr 25, 2018 at 09:50 AM.
Apr 25, 2018, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Regrading failsafe: Still cannot get the receiver to record the PWM values from the transmitter when I press the button. I saw the LEDs on the Tx flicker when I pressed the button so I think I did send the command.

After, when I turn off the transmitter, the receiver continues to send the PWM values that were present at the moment that I turned off the Tx - and not the values recorded during the button press.

I suppose as we discussed months ago it may be that my Futaba transmitter sends only 8 channels and not 16 to the Spongeboard and the failsafe feature may be sensitive to that difference.
GCS failsafe work very well, suggest that use it and don't necessary adjust pwm output on your RX for detect the failsafe.
Last edited by babak_ea; Apr 25, 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Apr 25, 2018, 04:22 PM
Build more, websurf less
Yes, I use the GCS failsafe. In fact for the test flight I set the failsafe action to "continue with the mission" and added a landing command at the end of the mission. This way if I were to lose the RF link the airplane would RTL and then land nearby - instead of just circling over the RTL rally point until the battery ran down.

The reality is I never lost the RF link (congrats flipflap) and the plane continued under automated control until it turned for its final approach and descent. I switched back to manual mode and landed myself. This stuff is so cool.
Apr 25, 2018, 06:26 PM
Build more, websurf less
Please help me with a Spongeboard question:

There are three rows of small holes one the board that end up directly underneath the RFM23BP. See the blue arrow in the picture below. There is also a metal patch on the RFM23BP that lines up with the small holes.

Should I drill these holes out to provide better cooling? Are they intended to make metal-to-metal contact with that metal patch on the RFM23BP module?

Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Apr 25, 2018 at 07:19 PM.
Apr 26, 2018, 02:15 AM
Thread OP
No need for drilling the holes in my opinion.
Apr 26, 2018, 02:20 AM
Hi Flipflap, i would like your thinkin about this idea please ? I would like to draw new boards based on flytron schematics (I think they are same as orangerx) as they can work on both Ulrs and openlrs. I saw that tx schematic does not need any modifications to work on both. But for rx I need to draw some soldering jumpers to work from one to other software. I think to had usb capability and why not Bluetooth on tx. What do you think about it? Do you think that could be possible?
Apr 26, 2018, 07:01 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by babak_ea
GCS failsafe work very well, suggest that use it and don't necessary adjust pwm output on your RX for detect the failsafe.
This works if you are flying something with a flight controller, but some of us also fly smaller fixed wing craft that are not running a flight controller, and the use of the LRS system is really more of a convenience of not having to use a different system on every different model we have.
Latest blog entry: Test entry

Quick Reply