Mar 03, 2018, 05:05 PM

OrangeRX combo voltage

Hello guys,

I bought an OrangeRX combo on Hobyking to flash modules and use ultimate lrs. Before flashing them I knew the working voltage was 3.3v not 5v, and it is mandatory to use 3.3 because as I've read on the internet 5v can destroy the boards immediatly. I did not realize the USBasp module jumper was set at 5v in spite of 3.3v so probably I have destroyed them.

Now, I have changed the jumper to 3.3v and I have installed all drivers for USBasp and ultimate lrs software correctly but it has been impossible to find any device in com ports so I suppose it is because I burned them. Anyway, before buying them again I would like to be sure they do not work, because apparently nothing happened on the boards, leds work and it does not smell burnt so my question is, if the boards are burned can I know it just taking a look or it simply not looks different but they do not work?

Thanks a lot.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2018, 05:20 PM
Build more, websurf less
gcp900,

I made the same mistake but quickly noticed and disconnected. Changed the jumper on my USBasp device to 3.3V and continued from there.

I noticed that after flashing the receiver with the USBasp and ULRS firmware that no LEDs came on when the receiver was powered up. I thought I burnt it or bricked it.

Then I thought maybe it is working and I just do not know it.

One of the two white plastic sockets on the receiver is labeled Tx, Rx and the middle position turns out to be GND. So I made a serial cable using half of the tiny cable and connector provided. I hooked this serial port to my FTDI serial adapter's Rx, Tx and GND.

Turns out it was working and connected to the ULRS-CC.

I used the other half of the tiny cable and connector to make a receiver cable.

Beginning at earlier post 12925 there are pictures of how I made these connections.

Good luck,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Mar 03, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Mar 03, 2018, 05:30 PM
Build more, websurf less
Hey flipflap,

I installed ULRS-CC on my new Windows 10 Dell PC and the ULRS-CC acts strangely: It comes up with more than the usual number of tabs on the top line and remains inoperable for a minute or two before responding to mouse clicks.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul
Mar 04, 2018, 12:26 AM
flipflap

on your web , Anten better from dipole to moxon to Yagi ?

i tried tested a Moxon anten Diy , and it better dipole . So if use a anten YAGI , it is better more ? right ?
Mar 04, 2018, 01:18 AM
Thread OP
Antennas are characterized by their gain. The more an antenna is directional, the higher its gain. Of course if it has a high gain in one direction like a yagi, it has a much lower gain in other directions.

Dipole = 3 dBi
Moxon = 5,8 dBi
Yagi gain = depends on number of elements, can go up very high. For example this antenna has 20.2 dBi : https://www.moonraker.eu/antennas/ha...-pro-xl-series but measures 7.6 meters...

You can find some antenna suggestions here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/yagi...i_length_2245m

Of course, apart from the gain there must be a good impedance matching. For example a dipole has 67 ohms impedance rather than 50 ohms, so there's some loss here. This is visible when measuring the SWR, which is the most important practical measurement for an antenna.
Mar 04, 2018, 01:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcp900
Hello guys,

I bought an OrangeRX combo on Hobyking to flash modules and use ultimate lrs. Before flashing them I knew the working voltage was 3.3v not 5v, and it is mandatory to use 3.3 because as I've read on the internet 5v can destroy the boards immediatly. I did not realize the USBasp module jumper was set at 5v in spite of 3.3v so probably I have destroyed them.

Now, I have changed the jumper to 3.3v and I have installed all drivers for USBasp and ultimate lrs software correctly but it has been impossible to find any device in com ports so I suppose it is because I burned them. Anyway, before buying them again I would like to be sure they do not work, because apparently nothing happened on the boards, leds work and it does not smell burnt so my question is, if the boards are burned can I know it just taking a look or it simply not looks different but they do not work?

Thanks a lot.
I'd be surprised if the RFM module is destroyed, notice that the COM ports must be visible as soon as the FTDI adapter is connected, even if no ULRS is connected. That's why I'd rather think that if something is burned it's the FTDI adapter, or it has a driver issue.

It should show at least the COM port number, but if ULRS isn't connected you won't see the details such as ULRS RX V2.35 at 57600 bauds.
Mar 04, 2018, 03:17 AM

extended

what is problem?
in site no new version
Last edited by mojtaba.hdpr; Mar 04, 2018 at 04:14 AM.
Mar 04, 2018, 04:58 AM

Orangerx combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
I'd be surprised if the RFM module is destroyed, notice that the COM ports must be visible as soon as the FTDI adapter is connected, even if no ULRS is connected. That's why I'd rather think that if something is burned it's the FTDI adapter, or it has a driver issue.

It should show at least the COM port number, but if ULRS isn't connected you won't see the details such as ULRS RX V2.35 at 57600 bauds.
I supposed they are burnt just because they were exposed to 5v for a long period of time before noticing, but on the other hand I have not had communication with USBasp since I started to try and had also problems with drivers because windows is not compatible with them and had to do a trick (disable unsigned drivers to be installed), so I am not sure if the problem is with RFM modules or just USBasp is not properly installed or properly working!!

For the moment I will try to flash the Tx unit with FTDI as it seems to be more simple than USBasp and if it works will suppose Rx unit is also ok. Anyway, I will have to find the way to flash Rx unit with USBasp cause this is the receiver from orangerx combo and it looks like is the only way to flash it.

I will post further information as I find it.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by gcp900; Mar 04, 2018 at 06:04 AM.
Mar 04, 2018, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojtaba.hdpr
what is problem?
in site no new version
Same happend to me in one of my two computers. On the other computer countdown appears. What does it mean?
Mar 04, 2018, 06:31 AM
Thread OP
Give me 1 hour and it should be fine.
Mar 04, 2018, 09:24 AM
Build more, websurf less
gcp900,

Here is how I connected the JR-style Orange 1W transmitter module to ULRS.

Paul
Mar 04, 2018, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
gcp900,

I made the same mistake but quickly noticed and disconnected. Changed the jumper on my USBasp device to 3.3V and continued from there.

I noticed that after flashing the receiver with the USBasp and ULRS firmware that no LEDs came on when the receiver was powered up. I thought I burnt it or bricked it.

Then I thought maybe it is working and I just do not know it.

One of the two white plastic sockets on the receiver is labeled Tx, Rx and the middle position turns out to be GND. So I made a serial cable using half of the tiny cable and connector provided. I hooked this serial port to my FTDI serial adapter's Rx, Tx and GND.

Turns out it was working and connected to the ULRS-CC.

I used the other half of the tiny cable and connector to make a receiver cable.

Beginning at earlier post 12925 there are pictures of how I made these connections.

Good luck,

Paul
I did not realize you were talking about flashing receiver unit from organgerx combo using FTDI, so is it possible? As I have read on the ULRS web it is just possible using USBasp (http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/oran...ith-bluetooth/). I am not sure if modules were burned cause the USBasp behaviour is not so good so I want to try to flash at least the transmitter unit with FTDI to discard it. USBasp has problem with Windows due to unsigned drivers and although I could install it looks like is not working properly.
Last edited by gcp900; Mar 04, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
Mar 04, 2018, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
gcp900,

Here is how I connected the JR-style Orange 1W transmitter module to ULRS.

Paul
that is a connection with FTDI not USBasp, isn't it?
Mar 04, 2018, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojtaba.hdpr
what is problem?
in site no new version
By the way, this is happening to me now in my two computers. Cannot use ULRS at all.
Mar 04, 2018, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcp900
I did not realize you were talking about flashing receiver unit from organgerx combo using FTDI, so is it possible? As I have read on the ULRS web it is just possible using USBasp (http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/oran...ith-bluetooth/). I am not sure if modules were burned cause the USBasp behaviour is not so good so I want to try to flash at least the transmitter unit with FTDI to discard it. USBasp has problem with Windows due to unsigned drivers and although I could install it looks like is not working properly.
Exactly the RX module in the HK combo has no bootloader at all, so it can't be programmed with FTDI only. It requires an USBasp or other programmer.

Quick Reply