Feb 05, 2018, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
Can you post a drawing of what you'd like to do ?

If its using ULRS for the long range stuff, and then having a 2.4GHz relay at short range I think there a already users with this configuration. Of course you don't have the telemetry but for the RC PPM it's fine.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2018, 01:20 PM
I will use for this project just normal 2.4ghz technology.
Without ULRS.
I wanted to use frsky tx and RX with ppm output. (I have 1 link between my Transmitter an RX what will be mounted on the antenna tracker)
This RX on the antenna Tracker will forward the ppm signal to a other TX modul. This module is connected to the 2.4ghz yagi antenna, and is bind with my quadcopter.
Here you see a picture what I need. But this is a repeater from 2.4ghz to 433Mhz.
I'm looking for the same system but then 2.4GHZ to 2.4GHZ.

Wolf
Feb 06, 2018, 05:11 AM
sorry ... delete comment
Last edited by happy rc; Feb 07, 2018 at 04:00 AM.
Feb 09, 2018, 10:10 AM

My hummingbird

Hi ben
this my schematic and board for mini ULRS rx
please tell me your opinion about it .
this using external BEC +5v converter.
Feb 09, 2018, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
Hi, a new ULRS Mini RX board ? It looks good but the rfm and Arduino are exactly on opposite sides, check that the rfm can be soldered without touching the Arduino pins.

Also it seems that having a voltage regulator is nice to be able to connect to the battery directly. Powering a 5v from an esc bec could be noisy from the servos.

I like the nice components alignment.

On the PCB the reset track doesn't seem routed ?
Feb 09, 2018, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi, a new ULRS Mini RX board ? It looks good but the rfm and Arduino are exactly on opposite sides, check that the rfm can be soldered without touching the Arduino pins.

Also it seems that having a voltage regulator is nice to be able to connect to the battery directly. Powering a 5v from an esc bec could be noisy from the servos.

I like the nice components alignment.

On the PCB the reset track doesn't seem routed ?
yes this board it's new
arduino in top layer soldered like smd component.
any external BEC like hobbywing or switching regulator in shield that connect direct to battery have trouble ?
one pin RST is connected to DTR i think it's enough ?
no problem in schematic or board ?
i'ill to design tx board for JR .
Feb 09, 2018, 12:33 PM
Durability Tester
-----------------------
Feb 12, 2018, 08:26 AM
Would it be a good idea to add a RF preamplifier chip ? (I vaguely remember the MAX2633... but it's for VHF)
Feb 12, 2018, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
Yes but it needs a little more electronics to switch it on/off during transmission/reception
Feb 12, 2018, 08:37 PM

Really Amazing!

That's really an awesome project! Flipflap, congratulations for your efforts!

I was looking for a reliable and affordable way to do "long range" (I don't think i'd go over 5-8km) and this project really got my attention last night (I was up till 5am reading the website and this thread and spent the last 3-4 hours finishing reading and wrapping up my thoughts...)

I have so many questions regarding on how would be the best approach to tackle the matter but after reading a good portion of this thread and the website, I have some "major/big picture" questions about ULRS. Would appreciate if you could help me go through them so I can decide which route to take :

- LICENSE: You did a wonderful job and I really would like to support you for that. So I would like to know what are your plans regarding the "commercial" side of the project. Are you planning on charging for a lifetime license, or annually.... is it going to be 1.99 or 9,999,99?.... Also, I read that a few users came across a "free trial period has ended" (or something like this) message in the middle of their builds or even in the field. Is it likely to happen again? Would be very nice if you could comment on that if you wish/could....

- ORANGERX: I saw you recommending (at least 3 or 4 times) users to start with OrangeRX hardware and only then move to the Mini Modules (another great idea! love the modules concept!). In the other hand I saw plenty of people using of the shelf modules and getting very frustrated with ULRS, abandoning the project, or spending more money on new modules, scratching their heads for days or even merchandising other alternatives here....

Is it really worth starting on OrangeRX? (I am a cheap bastard, only found ULRS because was buying OrangeRX, and here I am guessing myself). I love making "affordable/cheap" builds...Can't spend too much money so I'm always the one using hkpilot, clone radios etc (not proud of it but...that's another thing entirely) but in this case, doing some math, I thing a Mini Module would save a lot of time, money and would be a more enjoyable experience, no?

I mean....today, the ORX bluetooth TX is USD31... (there is also a 100mW option for USD10.... - not great power, I know). How much would cost a mini module? If I remember well, a member mentioned something around 20-30 bucks.... not bad no?

- MAVLINK / INAV: ULRS is all go for APM and that is awesome, love the board! But iNav is catching up with F4, F7 all in one boards, custom PID methods for fixed wings (PIFF) - and they cost like USD25!! I saw that iNav now supports 16 channels, so, good news! But, does it mean that I'll be able to control iNav just like we do with APM mission planner? (I know ulrs is transparent telemetry but it is not clear for me)

- MINI MODULES: Would you guys recommend any? I particularly liked the Monkey Board with bluetooth module. Have anyone had problems with that board? Sorry the dumb question, but, what would be the role of a teensy module on it?

Are Mini Modules capable of working on openLRS? (sorry if I'm offtopic....don't intend on doing it, but just a question that occurred to my out of curiosity)

I am sorry this became a loooooooong post, but I think those are questions that other members and new comers might also have.

Again, congratulations for this initiative, it is really awesome!
Feb 13, 2018, 01:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasciodc
That's really an awesome project! Flipflap, congratulations for your efforts!

I was looking for a reliable and affordable way to do "long range" (I don't think i'd go over 5-8km) and this project really got my attention last night (I was up till 5am reading the website and this thread and spent the last 3-4 hours finishing reading and wrapping up my thoughts...)
Thanks

Quote:
I have so many questions regarding on how would be the best approach to tackle the matter but after reading a good portion of this thread and the website, I have some "major/big picture" questions about ULRS. Would appreciate if you could help me go through them so I can decide which route to take :

- LICENSE: You did a wonderful job and I really would like to support you for that. So I would like to know what are your plans regarding the "commercial" side of the project. Are you planning on charging for a lifetime license, or annually.... is it going to be 1.99 or 9,999,99?.... Also, I read that a few users came across a "free trial period has ended" (or something like this) message in the middle of their builds or even in the field. Is it likely to happen again? Would be very nice if you could comment on that if you wish/could....
Yes, there's an open source GPL version of ULRS that you can use forever, and there's the ULRS 2.X version. For this one there's no plan to sell it for the moment and probably not in the short term (few years), it's just made available for free as a beta and this will continue. The beta was renewed every 30 days, and now every 90 days, and sometime I forgot to renew it in time that's why you see some comments about it.

Quote:
- ORANGERX: I saw you recommending (at least 3 or 4 times) users to start with OrangeRX hardware and only then move to the Mini Modules (another great idea! love the modules concept!). In the other hand I saw plenty of people using of the shelf modules and getting very frustrated with ULRS, abandoning the project, or spending more money on new modules, scratching their heads for days or even merchandising other alternatives here....

Is it really worth starting on OrangeRX? (I am a cheap bastard, only found ULRS because was buying OrangeRX, and here I am guessing myself). I love making "affordable/cheap" builds...Can't spend too much money so I'm always the one using hkpilot, clone radios etc (not proud of it but...that's another thing entirely) but in this case, doing some math, I thing a Mini Module would save a lot of time, money and would be a more enjoyable experience, no?

I mean....today, the ORX bluetooth TX is USD31... (there is also a 100mW option for USD10.... - not great power, I know). How much would cost a mini module? If I remember well, a member mentioned something around 20-30 bucks.... not bad no?
OrangeRX is a good starting point, to get used to the way of programming them, to use ULRS CC etc. I have no problem with them except the small antenna cable which should be replaced immediately.

They're cheap, have a real case that fits into the transmitter, you can basically just get some and fly.

The ULRS Mini modules were imagined at a time when the ORX where no longer produced by HK for a few month. Nobody was sure they would be produced again so I made a simple schematic that anyone could build on a proto board or a breadboard.

And something unexpected happened, users from around the world started to make PCB and variants of it, which we named after animals to distinguish them.

It's cheaper than an OrangeRX (you can build for about $15-$20 : RFM is $11, atmega is $2.11 and PCB is about $2) and the simple boards can be soldered very quick.

There are other advantages to ULRS Mini, which you can find here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/apmp...i/#Description

Quote:
- MAVLINK / INAV: ULRS is all go for APM and that is awesome, love the board! But iNav is catching up with F4, F7 all in one boards, custom PID methods for fixed wings (PIFF) - and they cost like USD25!! I saw that iNav now supports 16 channels, so, good news! But, does it mean that I'll be able to control iNav just like we do with APM mission planner? (I know ulrs is transparent telemetry but it is not clear for me)
Yes, it's like pluging your flight controller via USB, you can do everything you do with mission planner or another GCS. Such as changing parameters, uploading waypoints, looking at the parameters in real-time, tuning etc.

Quote:
- MINI MODULES: Would you guys recommend any? I particularly liked the Monkey Board with bluetooth module. Have anyone had problems with that board? Sorry the dumb question, but, what would be the role of a teensy module on it?
Monkey is one of my favorites because it stays simple and fits into the transmitter.

A Teensy or other more recent uC would allow to support more features such as SBUS or frsky protocol. For the moment there's no plan to change hardware.

Quote:
Are Mini Modules capable of working on openLRS? (sorry if I'm offtopic....don't intend on doing it, but just a question that occurred to my out of curiosity)
They have a different pinout, and for example the NIRQ pin isn't wired at all for ULRS Minis.

Quote:
I am sorry this became a loooooooong post, but I think those are questions that other members and new comers might also have.

Again, congratulations for this initiative, it is really awesome!
Thanks again !
Feb 13, 2018, 08:31 AM
Great, I'm sold! Going all in for ULRS and very excited about it!

Thank you very much for the prompt reply!

I have good experience on soldering, programming arduinos and love DIY, so, I am going for the Monkey board!

Will try to have the PCBs shipped to Brazil, but that could be a challenge... Though I have a CNC machine at disposal, so, thinking about putting it to work on that board!

Quote:
A Teensy or other more recent uC would allow to support more features such as SBUS or frsky protocol. For the moment there's no plan to change hardware.
So I don't need to worry about adding the Teensy to the board, right?

Thanks again! Will probably be back with more questions in the future!
Feb 13, 2018, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Don't worry be happy tu tu-tu tutu tu tu tu tuuu don't worry tu tu tu-tu tu tu tuuuuuu tu tu tu-tu tuuuuuu. Be happy now.
Feb 13, 2018, 08:13 PM
Anyone with some Monkey Boards laying around or forgotten in some drawer?? Was ordering some but most certainly don't need 10 pieces of each board!!

(I wouldn't mind if anybody would be willing to sell a finished board too...)

Well...let me know!

Edit:
Did some math while buying parts for MonkeyBoard... for 1 TX and 1 RX the final number easily reached the USD85 mark and I wasn't even finished... (I'm in Brazil, so, have to buy everything online)

So I thought...Well with less than that I could buy:
- OrangeRX TX with Bluetooth + RX (USD50 for the combo)
- OrangeRX Futaba 100mW (USD10 on sale....could buy 3 of those and use as regular park flyer receivers - which I'm in need - or smaller planes on telemetry!)

Still would have to mess around with the modules and make the suggested modifications (living with the fact that HK still haven't a clue about logic levels on RF board) but....really.... I'd have 1 TX and 4 RX available (like I said...I'm cheap so, I'm always interchanging receivers, ESCs and servos between planes....the idea of having a few more receivers is appealing haha)

I might regret later down the road when I have problems flashing the RX (I have a usbasp but.... I'll have problems, I know that) but I remember Wayno Complaino already went that way and succeeded if remember well.... maybe it encourage others to do so...

(Even though RX doesn't have the DTR pin and no bootloader, it's got the 1W module, a switching power supply and is very small!)

So...like I said before...I live in Brazil so I'm only expecting to get my hands on them in late April or so.... (could be that by then someone already got it working or a new one is released in HK or it's fully supported as is by ULRS....we never know! =D)

Cheers!
Last edited by rasciodc; Feb 13, 2018 at 09:59 PM. Reason: ...Changed my mind after some math?!?
Feb 13, 2018, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Don't worry be happy tu tu-tu tutu tu tu tu tuuu don't worry tu tu tu-tu tu tu tuuuuuu tu tu tu-tu tuuuuuu. Be happy now.
now it's stuck on my head.....lol good song tho

Quick Reply