Oct 09, 2017, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaudiTT
Where exactly is the cheap shot? I have also been following the QLRS thread and this statement is accurate.
The cheap shot is in omitting the fact that quite a few UHF enthusiasts are following QLRS, and putting it in the air, and that Krzysiek is evolving the code at a rapid rate. Experienced UHF pilots are passing the hat as we speak, collecting beers because they are quite pleased with the direction of QLRS. Can't say the same for ULRS.

His post is consistent with his past cheap shots at OpenLRSng and Dragonlink.

Kelly
Last edited by wkf94025; Oct 10, 2017 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2017, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Where exactly is the cheap shot? I have also been following the QLRS thread and this statement is accurate.
It was plenty cheap. You have not been following closely if you think that was accurate. It was not an accurate statement. Plenty of 433Mhz users have got much further than 300m! Impressive ranges have been achieved. That was a 915Mhz module running firmware that was created blindly to allow the guy to test it. Lots of ULRS folks(and OpenLRS) have achieved 300M for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with firmware. ULRS only runs on 433.

ULRS on 433 does perform better than QCZEK LRS, all thing being equal. But it is not on some silly timer and being run by someone trying to figure out how to get paid for his past years of effort and who will not even sell a license to existing users. QCZEK is being done by an enthusiastic hobbyist that has successfully developed firmware that allows $15 1W Lora 1W modules to be used for long range RC and limited telemetry. No strings attached as far as I can see.

Dolphin Users
Incidentally, to those that have Dolphin modules you can easily bump these up to 8V if you take heed of the Narpat mods listed in this thread and elaborated on by me (that involve changing a few resistors and adding an extra transistor). And they can run cool and safer than if they were running unmodified on 6V. I do not think the 6V mod is wise without modifying the RFM board. 5V is probably better.

One point to make, that tripped me up, is that you cannot run the Atmega on 5V and the RFM23 on 3.3V. It messes up the serial lines. Just run them both on 5V. I have Dolphins that run very well on 8V putting out over 1.5W I imagine.
Last edited by Marc Dornan; Oct 09, 2017 at 05:23 PM.
Oct 09, 2017, 02:37 PM

failsafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Mike,

Yes you are right , I mean the URLS receiver's PWM values out to the flight controller.

In Mission Planner when I turn off the transmitter, the channel positions do not go to the settings presumably recorded by the pushbutton failsafe procedure - they remain exactly where they are at the time I turn off the transmitter.

Once I get the ULRS Rx to play back the failsafe settings, then I will configure the flight controller to react to them appropriately.

Manreg, it's interesting that when I push the button I get the beep and LED pause and you do not and yours works - thanks for the information. I am using a pair of 1W Orange Tx modules, so it is a little different than yours.

Thanks all,

Paul

Interesting Update: I have my receiver RSSI going out in PPM channel 8 as a PWM value to the flight controller. When I turn off the transmitter, the PWM value for channel 8 indeed goes to zero (0). In fact channels 9 through 16 also go to zero, but channels 1 through 8 remain locked at their last known position. I wish I could program the Pixracer to use channel 8 as a failsafe indicator. Note that I am sending only 8 PPM channels from my Futaba 9C transmitter to the ULRS Tx module.
Now I tested with an OrangeRx module as Tx and an OrangeRx module as Rx and Mission Plane and I can not either memorize the throttle value on the receiver to use it as failsafe.
Oct 09, 2017, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
It was plenty cheap. You have not been following closely if you think that was accurate. It was not an accurate statement. Plenty of 433Mhz users have got much further than 300m! Impressive ranges have been achieved. That was a 915Mhz module running firmware that was created blindly to allow the guy to test it. Lots of ULRS folks(and OpenLRS) have achieved 300M for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with firmware. ULRS only runs on 433.

ULRS on 433 does perform better than QCZEK LRS, all thing being equal. But it is not on some silly timer and being run by someone trying to figure out how to get paid for his past years of effort and who will not even sell a license to existing users. QCZEK is being done by an enthusiastic hobbyist that has successfully developed firmware that allows $15 1W Lora 1W modules to be used for long range RC and limited telemetry. No strings attached as far as I can see.

Dolphin Users
Incidentally, to those that have Dolphin modules you can easily bump these up to 8V if you take heed of the Narpat mods list in this thread and elaborated on by me (that involve changing a few resistors and adding an extra transistor). And they can run cool and safer than if they were running unmodified on 6V. I do not think the 6V mod is wise without modifying the RFM board. 5V is probably better.

One point to make, that tripped me up, is that you cannot run the Atmega on 5V and the RFM23 on 3.3V. It messes up the serial lines. Just run them both on 5V. I have Dolphins that run very well on 8V putting out over 1.5W I imagine.
Ok, fair enough. Marc, what LRS do you currently fly the most?
Oct 09, 2017, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Ok, fair enough. Marc, what LRS do you currently fly the most?
I do fly ULRS --to be fair. When you figure it out it works very well. But I am not sure the latest OrangeRX 433s are supported. There is a steep curve to DIY it, as with all DIY. Also, with its future uncertain....we shall see.

My latest builds which are of higher value I am just going for DragonLink V3. It is not that really that expensive and it just works now.

I also think a 2.4 FrSky LR9 with a cheap 2W booster will get you 15Km (as long as you are not flying urban areas) and few fly further than that. You can add a LORA transparent serial telemetry module off the shelf and get at least 10km of bi-bi-directional telemetry on 433 without crazy optimization. And then you have redundancy. Cost of that? $30 for LR9. $30 for a pair of 1W LORA modules. Or use QZCEK LRS with them and have limited Mavlink back only (which is all most people need).
Oct 09, 2017, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the overview! I came from Rangelink, which i found very solid but sadly, no uart in sight for it. Being somewhat already familiar with Arduino, I switched to ULRS and am very happy with it so far. Hopefully the work will continue.
Oct 09, 2017, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
Hi KaudiTT, it will be very quiet here, but the system is stable. If a bug if found it will be fixed but there are no new features in the plans.

The version 1.X of ULRS is open source so if you have experience in Arduino development feel free to make it evolve.

Regarding ULRS performances, a user had his ULRS running at a distance of 40 km ground to ground, with full mavlink telemetry.

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ultimate-lrs-range/

You'll also find ULRS user videos here :

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti...vided-content/
Oct 10, 2017, 04:55 AM
Nothing to see here
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 02:48 AM.
Oct 10, 2017, 07:41 AM
I saw the yagi, I like your AAT. I'm in the process of building something very similar. Thank you for the drawing Yak!
Oct 10, 2017, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi KaudiTT, it will be very quiet here, but the system is stable. If a bug if found it will be fixed but there are no new features in the plans.

The version 1.X of ULRS is open source so if you have experience in Arduino development feel free to make it evolve.

Regarding ULRS performances, a user had his ULRS running at a distance of 40 km ground to ground, with full mavlink telemetry.

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ultimate-lrs-range/

You'll also find ULRS user videos here :

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti...vided-content/
I said somewhat. lol
Oct 10, 2017, 07:57 AM
Thread OP
Every project is a somewhat that someone turned into something.
Oct 10, 2017, 09:12 PM
KNUCKLEUPFPV
So good news i think. Left quad in basement. Walked a little over a quarter mile with transmitter in hand. Lowest I got was 70dbm until I dropped below my house level down a hill. Immediately dropped to 40 then failsafe. Raised tx to full arm extension and it recovered. Have to figure around 8 homes around 4k square feet each house shaped like a cube all of them, between myself and the quad. After last house it was wide open. This is with the 100mw receiver and the 1w tx. Is this a good distance to walk and still have fairly strong signal? I started at 125dbm. And didnt lose signal till getting down the hill below the level of my house.
Oct 10, 2017, 09:19 PM
flipflap this happen at the worst time out at the field
Oct 10, 2017, 11:28 PM
I have not said much about this issue for many reasons I am sure all can understand. I most surely emphasize with Ben as I also have made a living developing software. At this point, all that can be done is to encourage you Ben to settle on an outcome. Create a price structure, allow your users to make use of what has been created or terminate it.

Right now with all the hardware I have purchase and assembled sits on my bench because I can't field any projects for precisely the reason Yak brought up. I don't have a lot of leisure time and it takes a fair amount of planning and effort to go out and practice my hobby. I know how I would feel if I were in his shoes and I tried to check or mod a configuration or just monitor performance only to have this expiration event to occur so Ben please, either allow us to purchase a license and don't leave everyone hanging so to speak.
Oct 10, 2017, 11:44 PM
--- (this was deemed offensive! Someone has no sense of humor any more!)
Last edited by Marc Dornan; Oct 11, 2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply