Sep 13, 2017, 07:25 PM
Very nice! I'll be so happy to see the end of the BT radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey
Nice! Here are some photos of mine. I got my VAS 433MHz dipoles today so I can replace the stock antennas.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi, I'm not at home for the moment so I'll provide more details later but you can start by www.itluxembourg.lu where the project documentation can be found.

This said reading some parts of the 800 pages of the thread can be a lot of fun.
Thanks for the response and the pointer. I will start digging...
Sep 13, 2017, 08:26 PM
KNUCKLEUPFPV
Ok so today it found avrdude on its own and flashed my wolfbox.

Here is the issue. After flashing the module and the receiver would do nothing. No leds nothing. I flashed back to olrs and leds are on again and its communicating.

Reflashed with ulrs and again no lights and no response from the program. Went back to olrs until i can figure out whats happening. Its a fresh download from yesterday.
Sep 13, 2017, 08:30 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Nice! Here are some photos of mine. I got my VAS 433MHz dipoles today so I can replace the stock antennas.
Great transmitter setup Greg. Looking at your work inspired me to get out the dremel and have a go at one of my orange cases. I need to fit it on the back of the Futaba transmitter body; I'll likely hot glue it over the module cavity like I did for another 433MHz aftermarket module.

Made the SMA antenna connector come out of the top. A small piece of electrical tape insulates the u.fl end of the antenna pigtail from the RF board. The other big hole at the bottom corner is to let the square trainer port connector through as I already soldered the Vin, GND, and PPM leads to the board.
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM.
Sep 14, 2017, 12:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelKillR
Ok so today it found avrdude on its own and flashed my wolfbox.

Here is the issue. After flashing the module and the receiver would do nothing. No leds nothing. I flashed back to olrs and leds are on again and its communicating.

Reflashed with ulrs and again no lights and no response from the program. Went back to olrs until i can figure out whats happening. Its a fresh download from yesterday.
The leds have a different meaning with ULRS : one means packet received, the other one means packet sent.

So for example the RX won't show any led blinking if it's running alone, and the TX will have one led blinking only if alone.

A good starting point is the project documentation here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ultimate-lrs-2-0-beta/

Then try this :

Flash a module, restart ULRS CC, it should detect the module. Connect to it, choose the parameters. Do the same for the other module.
Sep 14, 2017, 12:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealjoker
Thanks for the response and the pointer. I will start digging...
Now for your question, if the link is asymetrical (1W+100mW) you're right it will be limited by its weaker link.

The principle of ULRS is precisely to rely on two 1W modules, and given the price of OrangeRX modules or of the DIY ULRS Mini modules it shouldn't be an issue.

Most users fly with 1W modules, but some do prefer the smaller 100mW modules for short range quads.
Sep 14, 2017, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
That's a good idea !

I think a user did some testing with wifi modules, which are the same size as BT modules but more reliable, that could be an option too.
Sep 14, 2017, 01:51 AM
9W2DLR
Quote:
That's a good idea !

I think a user did some testing with wifi modules, which are the same size as BT modules but more reliable, that could be an option too.
this should get us started ,

https://spikey.si/ardupilotmega-telemetry2wifi-bridge/
https://pixhawk.org/peripherals/8266

I ordered few ESP8266 WiFi module from banggood hoping to replace my BT modules
Sep 14, 2017, 06:26 AM
Quote:
The principle of ULRS is precisely to rely on two 1W modules, and given the price of OrangeRX modules or of the DIY ULRS Mini modules it shouldn't be an issue.
That makes perfect sense, of course. At the moment I only have a Wolfbox TX and RX combo and I want to play with these before I commit to another purchase. (Yes, the modules are cheap, but I still get flak for wasting money.) So I flashed my Wolfbox modules with your software --- everything worked without a hitch on the first try. I really like the real-time spectral info as I hope that this will allow me to optimize my installation to reduce interference.

On the other hand, I also noticed that your current version does not support PWM. As I do not have a flight controller yet (my platform is a small glider and I am doing the FPV conversion incrementally) I will have to use another software until I get a controller.
Sep 14, 2017, 06:47 AM
KNUCKLEUPFPV
Quote:
The leds have a different meaning with ULRS : one means packet received, the other one means packet sent.

So for example the RX won't show any led blinking if it's running alone, and the TX will have one led blinking only if alone.

A good starting point is the project documentation here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ultimate-lrs-2-0-beta/

Then try this :

Flash a module, restart ULRS CC, it should detect the module. Connect to it, choose the parameters. Do the same for the other module.
It will not let me choose the parameters. It does nothing when I click it. Ive flashed and restarted the program. Ive restarted the pc. Still no luck. Maybe today it will let me, since I couldn't get it to do anything on the first day, and day 2 it finally let me flash. Thanks for the link. I really appreciate the help. I have read alot of the 800 pages. Still have a lot more catching up to do.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:16 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelKillR
It will not let me choose the parameters. It does nothing when I click it. Ive flashed and restarted the program. Ive restarted the pc. Still no luck. Maybe today it will let me, since I couldn't get it to do anything on the first day, and day 2 it finally let me flash. Thanks for the link. I really appreciate the help. I have read alot of the 800 pages. Still have a lot more catching up to do.
Try removing the DTR line before you restart and see if it makes a difference.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Sep 14, 2017, 10:24 AM
Quote:
hello, congratulations and welcome to the club

Can you give a little more infos about your build and tests, did you try it in flight ?

The range is impressive but we're still looking for someone to find its maximum range...

Regarding the button I'll check here, it should store the failsafe values.

How did you connect the rssi ?

Aha, but t seems to designed a new ulrs board based on the ulrs mini schematic !

So if you want I to share the PCB and schematic I can post it to the site.

The ulrs boards have usually an animal name, how would you like to call yours ?
Thanks Ben. yes I based on your ulrs mini board and squeezed to the mximun posible, but I think that I have mistakes on the schematic , the pinout of the arduinomini board and the atmel 328p chip its very confusing

I have some test , hill to hill ( 40 km pixhawk-pc link ) and flight about 15 km on a plane, I made Coax dipole for the ground station and plane , its works very good, share this schematic , if you take a look , now have a good RF filter on the power supply for the atmel 328 and the RFM23BP . Its not necessary to put 1W of power to get long and stable distances, just you need a very low noise power supply and good antennas, that its the real improvement , if need a name for this board , just call it Q-Board =) I going to work for to be compatible with the ULRS mini firmware
Sep 14, 2017, 06:18 PM
KNUCKLEUPFPV
Now urls is working entirely. Thank you baby Jesus. Now if i can get it to accept the ppm signal from my fsi6 i might be able to finally use it. The tx and rx are definitely communicating but isnt picking up the ppm signal and it doesn't show in receiver tab on betaflight.

I hate being the guy asking tons of questions. I like to just so research and figure it out from others post and findings.

Would it be easier to connect my wolfbox to a receiver and use it as a relay? Ive heard of others doing something like this. Im guessing I will need the ppm out from receiver to the ppm in on the module. If im wrong can someone point me to where I can figure out the correct way?

Thanks again for the replies. Ive only been in the rc world for 8 months. This is my first experience with this type of gear. I apologize for asking so many questions.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:37 PM
Build more, websurf less
The ground-side RC transmitter outputs PPM to the ULRS Tx module.

The ULRS Tx module then transmits the PPM-encoded channels to the ULRS receiver on the air-side.

The ULRS receiver outputs PPM to the flight controller.

It is possible to use an RC receiver to output PPM to the ULRS Tx module; the ULRS Tx module would not know if it is getting the PPM from a transmitter or a receiver. With this setup you still need an ULRS Rx module to be the air-side receiver. Also with this setup you would not be able to get telemetry back from the UAV.
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 14, 2017 at 09:45 PM.
Sep 14, 2017, 10:57 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
The ground-side RC transmitter outputs PPM to the ULRS Tx module.

The ULRS Tx module then transmits the PPM-encoded channels to the ULRS receiver on the air-side.

The ULRS receiver outputs PPM to the flight controller.

It is possible to use an RC receiver to output PPM to the ULRS Tx module; the ULRS Tx module would not know if it is getting the PPM from a transmitter or a receiver. With this setup you still need an ULRS Rx module to be the air-side receiver. Also with this setup you would not be able to get telemetry back from the UAV.
You could still get telemetry back, they are separate at the ground side. But it would probably be better to figure out what is wrong with the transmitter.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test

Quick Reply