Sep 12, 2017, 08:39 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey
I would like to blame it on loss of Internet due to my wife watching too much Netflix!
I guess I'm not the only one having this problem
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 09:48 PM
KNUCKLEUPFPV
I tried using ulrs for the first time tonight on my wolfbox. Said I needed avrdude to upgrade firmware. Downloaded that. Now Im stuck. I have no idea what im doing. I updated the firmware with openlrs easily. Worked with no issue. However when I connect it to my transmitters ppm pin it makes my transmitter start beeping. I should have left the stock firmware on it. Does anyone have the stock wolfbox firmware by chance?
Sep 13, 2017, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
flipflap,

Thanks for checking into it. I notice that everything works best with Mission Planner if the PC is cleaned of cookies and such and freshly rebooted. Otherwise MP and its Mavlink linkage to ULRS seems to be flaky.

Some other questions:

I notice that after I connect to Mission Planner, the transmitter's buzzer gives a short ring. Is this an indication of the Mavlink session beginning?

Also, when I am in the ULRS-CC and enter the spectrum analyer, the transmitter goes into alarm. When I leave the spectrum analyzer, regular operation seems to be restored. Is this also by design?

Thanks,

Paul
Yes it's by design, during spectrum analyzer operation the normal operations are suspended. For the spectrum analyzer ULRS hops from channel to channel very quickly, and it would be a challenge to do this fast and at the same time listening / transmitting on the regular channels.
Sep 13, 2017, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the link, Benoit. Just like Paul, I just got a virus when running mine and Norton went nuts trying to remove the ULRS CC. I haven't tested it today since my ULRS is running fine. I will test again later this week and also try the non-updater version since I run Windows 10. I would like to blame it on loss of Internet due to my wife watching too much Netflix!
Its considered a virus because its a packed exe. More antiviruses 'went too far' by simply marked packed exe as virus. My suggestion is marks the folder where ULRS installed as an exception (and recursively) in the antivirus settings.
Sep 13, 2017, 06:09 AM

DIY ULRS Module

hello, I have made this modules , the range its very good ( +40 km) ppm and telemetry its ok, but the push button and analog rssi does not work , the buzzer its not connected but I like to replace with a LED, so any suggestions why does not work the push button and the rssi ? thanks in advance
Sep 13, 2017, 06:55 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogalko
Its considered a virus because its a packed exe. More antiviruses 'went too far' by simply marked packed exe as virus. My suggestion is marks the folder where ULRS installed as an exception (and recursively) in the antivirus settings.
Thank you!
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Sep 13, 2017, 09:39 AM

ULRS Protocol Information

Hello Everbody,

I am looking for a description of the ULRS protocol . I am trying to learn about the different UHF options and I have some basic questions that I should be able to answer myself with this info. For example, if I understand correctly, the TX buzzer sounds whenever a packet loss has been detected. This seems to imply that ULRS requires a bi-directional radio link to work because, otherwise, how does the TX know that a packet was lost? If this interpretation is right, the overall range limit is presumably set by the weaker of the two radio links, i.e. if I use a 100mW RX module it does not really matter how strong the TX link is.

I am interested in this question in particular, but I would like more general information if it is available. If necessary I'll read through the 800 pages in this thread but I'd rather not...

Many thanks for any pointers.
Sep 13, 2017, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Hi, I'm not at home for the moment so I'll provide more details later but you can start by www.itluxembourg.lu where the project documentation can be found.

This said reading some parts of the 800 pages of the thread can be a lot of fun.
Sep 13, 2017, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvargas
hello, I have made this modules , the range its very good ( +40 km) ppm and telemetry its ok, but the push button and analog rssi does not work , the buzzer its not connected but I like to replace with a LED, so any suggestions why does not work the push button and the rssi ? thanks in advance
hello, congratulations and welcome to the club

Can you give a little more infos about your build and tests, did you try it in flight ?

The range is impressive but we're still looking for someone to find its maximum range...

Regarding the button I'll check here, it should store the failsafe values.

How did you connect the rssi ?

Aha, but t seems to designed a new ulrs board based on the ulrs mini schematic !

So if you want I to share the PCB and schematic I can post it to the site.

The ulrs boards have usually an animal name, how would you like to call yours ?
Sep 13, 2017, 11:15 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealjoker
Hello Everbody,

I am looking for a description of the ULRS protocol . I am trying to learn about the different UHF options and I have some basic questions that I should be able to answer myself with this info. For example, if I understand correctly, the TX buzzer sounds whenever a packet loss has been detected. This seems to imply that ULRS requires a bi-directional radio link to work because, otherwise, how does the TX know that a packet was lost? If this interpretation is right, the overall range limit is presumably set by the weaker of the two radio links, i.e. if I use a 100mW RX module it does not really matter how strong the TX link is.

I am interested in this question in particular, but I would like more general information if it is available. If necessary I'll read through the 800 pages in this thread but I'd rather not...

Many thanks for any pointers.
That is really the whole point of ULRS, that if you want long distance telemetry you need a symmetrical bi-direction link and if you are running 1watt at the transmitter you also need 1watt on the aircraft.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Sep 13, 2017, 11:18 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Thank you!
Hey Greg, I got so tired of fighting bluetooth on Windows that I tried your solution and used SIK radios. Much easier! Now I finally have reliable non-quirky wireless connection to my Taranis!
Sep 13, 2017, 12:21 PM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
Hey Greg, I got so tired of fighting bluetooth on Windows that I tried your solution and used SIK radios. Much easier! Now I finally have reliable non-quirky wireless connection to my Taranis!
Mike and Greg,

What did you guys do? Sounds like you used a pair of SIK radios to make the telemetry link between the serial output of the transmitter module and the ground station PC. That sounds brilliant! No pesky cable.

Any special settings? I suppose set the SIK radios' baud rate to 19,200?

Now that I am close to having a working ULRS with integrated RC telemetry, I will soon have some 915MHz SIK radio dongles sitting in the spares box.

Thanks,

Paul
Sep 13, 2017, 01:10 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Mike and Greg,

What did you guys do? Sounds like you used a pair of SIK radios to make the telemetry link between the serial output of the transmitter module and the ground station PC. That sounds brilliant! No pesky cable.

Any special settings? I suppose set the SIK radios' baud rate to 19,200?

Now that I am close to having a working ULRS with integrated RC telemetry, I will soon have some 915MHz SIK radio dongles sitting in the spares box.

Thanks,

Paul
Yes but the segment you are replacing is the 57600 connection between the Taranis (or whatever) and the laptop. That happens to be the native speed the SIK 915mhz radios are set for when used for short range telemetry with Ardupilot so they are ready to go for use with ULRS too. Those radios were available in 915mhz and 430mhz versions so make sure you don't get the 430mhz versions or they would interfere with the ULRS.

It is actually not as transparent as the HC05 bluetooth module that can be stuck inside the jr transmitter module but I have had major problems with bluetooth modules. I purchased 12 different kinds off Ebay and had to throw most of them away. They would not program, they would not connect reliably to Windows or Windows would not correctly create both the incoming and outgoing ports. They would work one time and not the next. My original bluetooth module worked fine for two years but when I went to reprogram it to use 57600 it would not do it. So I am finished with bluetooth.
Sep 13, 2017, 01:29 PM
Build more, websurf less
Ok very cool.

I am interested in how much the 915MHz SIK will affect the 433MHz of the RC/Telemetry signal. Anytime you place two transmitters near each other they will have some negative effect.

That's why we always tried to keep the different radio gear (2.4GHz and 433MHz control, 1.3GHz video, 915MHz telemetry, GPS, etc.) as far apart as possible when aboard our small UAVs.

I think we can dial-down the power in the SIK modules since we do not need Kms of range for this application.

Still I love the idea.

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 13, 2017 at 01:38 PM.
Sep 13, 2017, 06:12 PM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
Nice! Here are some photos of mine. I got my VAS 433MHz dipoles today so I can replace the stock antennas.
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar

Quick Reply