Aug 21, 2017, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
ULRS will work with the normal OrangeRX modules in all combinations (RX as RX, RX as TX, TX as TX, TX as RX) and all power (1W or 100mW) without any change.

I don't know if the new HK modules differ from OrangeRX, but if it works with openlrsng in mode 2, it should work with ULRS in OrangeRX mode. But not in ULRS Mini mode, the ULRS Minis have a different pinout than OrangeRX.
I've flashed an OrangeRX openLRSng TX firmware to the RX module for a test, it expected the PPM input on the RSSI pin.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2017, 02:50 PM
Build more, websurf less
How do you flash the new 1W Rx? It appears only to have Tx, Rx, and maybe ground connections available. No DTR?

Thanks,

Paul
Aug 21, 2017, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
I've added a page on the site for these modules, but can only rely on information from Wayno Complaino for the moment, who seems to have them working with ULRS.

It's here, but not linked yet from the main menu, consider it a draft : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/oran...ith-bluetooth/

Regarding DTR, if it's not present just connect the FTDI DTR pin via a 100nF capacitor to the reset pin of the atmega. That's the way it's wired on an arduino, and the goal is to make a reset pulse to launch the bootloader and start the programming sequence.
Aug 21, 2017, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
How do you flash the new 1W Rx? It appears only to have Tx, Rx, and maybe ground connections available. No DTR?

Thanks,

Paul
Can you check the type of module the RX is using, is it RFM22B (100mW) or RFM23BP (1W) ?
Aug 21, 2017, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Regarding DTR / flashing of the RX module you can find the reset pin on the 6 pins JTAG header, as shown here.
Aug 21, 2017, 04:14 PM
I flashed it through the ICSP port and the firmware hex file downloaded to "the folder I can't remember right now" by CC, you can see the folder during the flash process. I also remember reading somewhere that the Reset pin on the ICSP port can be used as a DTR pin.
(oh, you already found the info while I was writing this :-P )

Also Ben, I was testing the connectivity of ULRS and at a UHF noisy place I got the radio to unbinned, since the TX started beeping, or does it matter if the PPM connector of the RX isn't connected, I was using 4 RF channels spaced 4 channels apart.

Oscar
Aug 21, 2017, 08:44 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thanks for the tips flipflap. It will be few days before I try it as I'll have to send out for a 100nf capacitor.

It appears that the heat or RF shield is glued and soldered on top of the RF module, so I fear that I will damage something if I try to get it off to see what's under. Sorry.

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Aug 21, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Aug 21, 2017, 09:16 PM
Ok so here is the trace for RSSI and PPM on the HK 1W RX modules

Is this the same as the Wolfbox? (I do not have one otherwise I'd check)
Aug 21, 2017, 09:25 PM
Also I have a rookie question here. I finally sat down to build a Dolphin board and realized I ordered everything except the resistors! (and I ordered the other parts about a year ago)

What is the correct 0603 SMD size?
0201 (0603 metric) ?
0603 (1608 metric) ?

I'm assuming it's the 0603 metric but I want to be sure.
Aug 21, 2017, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Can you check the type of module the RX is using, is it RFM22B (100mW) or RFM23BP (1W) ?
I only have one so I'm reluctant to yank the RF shield off also. But HK is advertising them as 1W so I'd bet it's the RFM23BP.
Aug 22, 2017, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
For this module the description from HK seems to be a copy-paste from several different sources, with some contradictory information :

• RFM22B transceiver unit including Si4432 chip with configurable 0-1000mW output

But the RFM22B is 100mW, not 1000mW

• Based on the HopeRF HM-TRP radio module, featuring a SiLabs Si1000 RF microcontroller

Not the case, this seems rather to be a copy paste from a 3DR radio.

Power: TX module – 500mW, Receiver - 1000mW

Seems odd to announce 500mW for one and 1000mW for the other.

Transmitting power: Up to 20dBm (500mW)
Aug 22, 2017, 07:59 AM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Quote:
I've added a page on the site for these modules, but can only rely on information from Wayno Complaino for the moment, who seems to have them working with ULRS.

It's here, but not linked yet from the main menu, consider it a draft : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/oran...ith-bluetooth/

Regarding DTR, if it's not present just connect the FTDI DTR pin via a 100nF capacitor to the reset pin of the atmega. That's the way it's wired on an arduino, and the goal is to make a reset pulse to launch the bootloader and start the programming sequence.

The 1W Rx needs to be modified to work. I desoldered the components on the RSSI track and moved the resistor from the PPM track to the RSSI.

This then allows the PPM to be output on the "RSSI" pin. Doing this loses the PWM RSSI ability, not an issue if you are using RSSI on a PPM channel.

I used a USBasp to flash the chip directly.

I HAVE ONLY USED THIS ON THE BENCH.
Aug 22, 2017, 08:03 AM
Quote:
For this module the description from HK seems to be a copy-paste from several different sources, with some contradictory information :

RFM22B transceiver unit including Si4432 chip with configurable 0-1000mW output

But the RFM22B is 100mW, not 1000mW

Based on the HopeRF HM-TRP radio module, featuring a SiLabs Si1000 RF microcontroller

Not the case, this seems rather to be a copy paste from a 3DR radio.

Power: TX module 500mW, Receiver - 1000mW

Seems odd to announce 500mW for one and 1000mW for the other.

Transmitting power: Up to 20dBm (500mW)

I made the assumption that the TX is 500mW as it's a stock orange RX and we know it needs modding to get the full 1W

So I also assumed that the new small 1W RX already has these mods implemented.

Just assumptions remember.
Aug 22, 2017, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino
I made the assumption that the TX is 500mW as it's a stock orange RX and we know it needs modding to get the full 1W

So I also assumed that the new small 1W RX already has these mods implemented.

Just assumptions remember.
The RFM chip on the new HK 1W RX is powered at 5V.
Aug 22, 2017, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingweasal
The RFM chip on the new HK 1W RX is powered at 5V.
so its not a full 1W, it would need 6V for that right?

Being 5V is a good thing with all the previous comments about the 433 module burning out at more than 5V.

Quick Reply