May 23, 2017, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino
Hmm, cant seem to flash to the 'bluetooth' version. Get this message:

I can flash the normal version fine, maybe there is something different despite appearances.

EDIT: It works if you use the wolfbox setting when flashing!

Now to set up the bluetooth.....
OMG, you rock !!
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2017, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrab
New board! While waiting for the other to arrive I sketched out a new one. Schematic is basically the same, so no ULRS Mini but OrangeRX internal wiring.

Features
- button
- buzzer (12mm THT laying on the side, hanging off the board, see pic)
- bluetooth (HC-05, HC-06) compatible header
- analog RSSI output
- adjustable voltage regulator (see pic, search for "Mini-360 DC-DC")
- LEDs
- quad friendly 30.5mm bolt holes

While being designed primarily as a quad RX, the bolt holes and bluetooth header should also come handy when building a ground station. The bluetooth modules can be mounted using straight pins and will sit parallel to the board on top of the arduino.

As before, feedback is very much appreciated, especially since I don't actually own a quad and know nothing about them.
Thanks for this new board ! A small quad oriented-board is a good idea.

What's your favourite animal ?
May 23, 2017, 04:03 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
OMG, you rock !!
I'm just feeling around in the dark. Any idea why i need to have tow instances of ULRS CC open at a time? Second one workd just fine although much slower to load than the first instance, the fields take ages to populate.
May 23, 2017, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmerlin
Hi flipflap, I know about the range estimator, but basically before building and testing something just to realize it won't do the job, I was hoping that others could report what they've achieved in real life already.
Surely there are plenty of people flying with 100mW telemetry, right?
What's the maximum range or commonly achievable that has been achieved for telemetry in that case?
(I totally get that I'll get different numbers due to many factors, but it should be in the same order of magnitude hopefully )
I'm very reluctant to let people fly with 100mW because as ULRS has a fast telemetry it comes with the cost of a reduced range. Which is usually compensated by using 1W modules. That's the basic idea and it seems that most users stick to the 1W modules as they are at very good price. Remember that even the vintage 72MHz RC had 500mW, with a small bandwidth and low frequency, which is even more favorable.

But as you're looking for a more precise answer I'd say the order of magnitude is a few kilometers for 100mW modules with good antennas.

And don't fly with 100mW, be disappointed and then come back to complain

But sorry to be so directive, let us know if you get some real world results !
May 23, 2017, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I'm just feeling around in the dark. Any idea why i need to have tow instances of ULRS CC open at a time? Second one workd just fine although much slower to load than the first instance, the fields take ages to populate.
Yes, the first instance opens the available COM ports successively and I imagine that one of the port / driver creates an issue, maybe freezing the first instance, but keeping that port open.

Then the second instance sees that port but doesn't try it as it's already opened by the first instance, and that's why it works. In every case the detection can be a little slow, because it sends some commands over the port and waits one or two seconds for an answer. I'll improve that or make it run in the background.

It's a rare issue, but in the next version the automatic detection can be deactivated so you'll be fine with one instance.
May 23, 2017, 07:42 PM
Quote:
I'm very reluctant to let people fly with 100mW because as ULRS has a fast telemetry it comes with the cost of a reduced range. Which is usually compensated by using 1W modules. That's the basic idea and it seems that most users stick to the 1W modules as they are at very good price. Remember that even the vintage 72MHz RC had 500mW, with a small bandwidth and low frequency, which is even more favorable.

But as you're looking for a more precise answer I'd say the order of magnitude is a few kilometers for 100mW modules with good antennas.

And don't fly with 100mW, be disappointed and then come back to complain

But sorry to be so directive, let us know if you get some real world results !
You're not being directive, you're being honest
Note that I have 1W in my TX, I was only talking about 100mW in the RX back telemetry link. I have already multiple RX modules I'd like to keep using despite the backlink being only 100mW and was kind of curious of how much range I'd get on the telemetry link. "A few km" sounds kind of what I was wondering about, thanks.
I'll report back after I try it now that I know it's at least worth trying.
May 24, 2017, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Note: the shield was badly soldered to the module, it basically fell off...
Sigh, just when I was warming up to the idea of giving Orange a chance again.
So, are their modules still randomly badly soldered with apparently no real Q/A before they are sold, or is it just this new one?
May 24, 2017, 12:29 AM
your point that some of this is off topic for this thread is valid, so for lack of a better place, I'll use https://github.com/athertop/MavLink_...Port/issues/12 so that I'm not getting private support and the questions/answers are indexable and findable by others who may wonder the same things
Quote:
Originally Posted by athertop
Wow, didn't realise your DTF could generate telemetry. If that's truly the case and it can natively invert and combine the output to single pin inverted serial, then why would you need to cut anything? Surely in this case you would just have ardupilot output smartport data and feed this via your rx/tx into the Taranis natively? Think you may be mixing things up with my previous comment about allowing a teensy board to gain access to the Taranis sport pin in the module bay via your tx module. The cutting traces I mentioned is simply to disconnect that pin from anything inside your tx module allowing you to connect the teensy output instead.
I'll just answer this one bit since it may be helpful for uLRS TX designs.

The DTF module, when used with openlrsng, can indeed pass 2 analog values from the RX module to the TX module and directly to the Taranis, with no wiring or work or anything required (you get A1, A2, and RSSI). Note that this does not pass any data from the RX/TX pins on the RX module, but actually samples 2 arduino pins on that RX module and passes the value as an analog reading to the taranis.
There is no good reason why it couldn't pass data from RX/TX pins except lack of code and maybe lack of code to do so, and maybe lack of flash.
This is why I'm disappointed that it's not supported by uLRS since its support of inverted serial for S-Port is really cool that way, and I hope further uLRS modules will emulate what that module has been able to do for maybe 2 years now.
May 24, 2017, 01:20 AM
Thread OP
If I'm right, this feature does only provide frsky telemetry, and can't transmit mavlink at the same time.

That's why I consider it as note really useful and aim to send mavlink + frsky with ULRS.

Then the fact that DTF UHF isn't supported is because of their hardware design flaw that makes them unreliable.
May 24, 2017, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Welcome to rcgroups and to ULRS !
Thanks FlipFlap!!!

It is curious, but yes, it is my first intervention in this forum, but I follow his project practically since it started, and I have to say it is wonderful. I currently use it in a Mini Talon, until a few weeks ago I flew without problems, even 3.5km without loss of packages. But currently I am suffering continuous signal cuts, no matter the distance, the cuts are random which makes it enter failsafe, I have always flown with the 1.06, but with the 2.x happens the same, I do not know if the fault is the RF module, I have ordered some new ones to replace, and I will also solder the antenna directly to the PDB. In the same way as the user isabido, the movement of the servos is not very fluid, even with some pauses. With the 1.06 versios, the buzzer is always beeping.. i don`t know why was working propely, and now i have all this problems.

Regards.
May 24, 2017, 10:18 AM
Today ive tried the Bluetooth. It just works! I can connect to ULRS CC over bluetooth, didnt need to change any settings.

So the newer OrangeRX openLRS with Bluetooth work just fine, the only thing to remember is to select 'Wolfbox' when flashing. (i assume that means the bootloader is communicating at a different rate to the original OrangeRX)
May 24, 2017, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
OK, that's gold, I'll update the site with this excellent finding.

The only difference between Wolfbox and OrangeRX is the baudrate used during flashing (115k for wolfbox, 57k for OrangeRX).

For normal use after the initial flashing, the regular (57k for TX and 19k for RX) rates are used for all modules.
May 24, 2017, 11:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by waka_marbella
Thanks FlipFlap!!!

It is curious, but yes, it is my first intervention in this forum, but I follow his project practically since it started, and I have to say it is wonderful. I currently use it in a Mini Talon, until a few weeks ago I flew without problems, even 3.5km without loss of packages. But currently I am suffering continuous signal cuts, no matter the distance, the cuts are random which makes it enter failsafe, I have always flown with the 1.06, but with the 2.x happens the same, I do not know if the fault is the RF module, I have ordered some new ones to replace, and I will also solder the antenna directly to the PDB. In the same way as the user isabido, the movement of the servos is not very fluid, even with some pauses. With the 1.06 versios, the buzzer is always beeping.. i don`t know why was working propely, and now i have all this problems.

Regards.
That looks like a hardware issue, especially if it started suddenly and gives the same results for both software versions.

I don't know if this is a reliable way to test for hardware issues, but can you check the temperature of modules in ULRS CC ?
May 24, 2017, 01:32 PM
Gonna have a fiddle with the Orange 1W RX now.

There is only Ground, TX and RX available on pins so the question is:

Do I power it with the main input (6.5-12V) and then try connecting the FTDI with just the three Gn, TX, RX.

or

Is there a way of installing the firmware with a USBASP directly to the chip?
May 24, 2017, 01:42 PM
Quote:
That looks like a hardware issue, especially if it started suddenly and gives the same results for both software versions.

I don't know if this is a reliable way to test for hardware issues, but can you check the temperature of modules in ULRS CC ?

It seems to be a problem of the famous antenna cable, it does not have continuity in the mesh in the RX. I'm going to weld a better cable. How can I know if the RF module has been damaged?

Quick Reply