Thread Tools
May 23, 2017, 11:39 AM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Wayno Complaino's Avatar
Will do.

Just downloaded/installed ULRS CC and WinAVR (as per your detailed instructions) but CC just hangs after it opens, nothing is selectable and I have to use Task Manager to quit out. I'm on Windows 10, am i missing something?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2017, 12:31 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Can you try disabling bluetooth ? It's known to hang at startup while ULRS CC tries to send a few bytes to detect the presence of an ULRS module.
May 23, 2017, 12:32 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_t5
yeh i am a real Airbus pilot
and i will bost some pictures here.
and i fly all rc types 10 years now.
started fpv 2 years ago and i love it more than my heli or my jets .

Sam
Heli and jets ! Sure you'll have to show some photos and tell us a little more !
May 23, 2017, 12:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
The best is to use the ULRS range estimator, it will extrapolate the maximum range based on the RSSI at any other distance. This will take into account your exact setup, power and antennas. It's a simple extrapolation based on the transmission formula :

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulrs-range-estimator/
Hi flipflap, I know about the range estimator, but basically before building and testing something just to realize it won't do the job, I was hoping that others could report what they've achieved in real life already.
Surely there are plenty of people flying with 100mW telemetry, right?
What's the maximum range or commonly achievable that has been achieved for telemetry in that case?
(I totally get that I'll get different numbers due to many factors, but it should be in the same order of magnitude hopefully )
May 23, 2017, 01:07 PM
Registered User
New board! While waiting for the other to arrive I sketched out a new one. Schematic is basically the same, so no ULRS Mini but OrangeRX internal wiring.

Features
- button
- buzzer (12mm THT laying on the side, hanging off the board, see pic)
- bluetooth (HC-05, HC-06) compatible header
- analog RSSI output
- adjustable voltage regulator (see pic, search for "Mini-360 DC-DC")
- LEDs
- quad friendly 30.5mm bolt holes

While being designed primarily as a quad RX, the bolt holes and bluetooth header should also come handy when building a ground station. The bluetooth modules can be mounted using straight pins and will sit parallel to the board on top of the arduino.

As before, feedback is very much appreciated, especially since I don't actually own a quad and know nothing about them.
May 23, 2017, 01:39 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrab
New board!
- quad friendly 30.5mm bolt holes
I have built several 250 size quads, this looks great!!

And I agree the bolt holes and Bluetooth pins will be great for a ground station!
May 23, 2017, 01:51 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Wayno Complaino's Avatar
Just picked up a 'normal' 1W tx from a friend...





Now to get back to CC and seeing if it works...
May 23, 2017, 02:13 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Wayno Complaino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Can you try disabling bluetooth ? It's known to hang at startup while ULRS CC tries to send a few bytes to detect the presence of an ULRS module.
CC just isn't responding at all, not detecting any com ports or even allowing me to 'click' on any part of the gui, cant even close the application with the cross in the top right. Tried restarting the PC, connecting before and after CC has loaded. No luck.
May 23, 2017, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino
CC just isn't responding at all, not detecting any com ports or even allowing me to 'click' on any part of the gui, cant even close the application with the cross in the top right. Tried restarting the PC, connecting before and after CC has loaded. No luck.
If you open a second instance does it work?
May 23, 2017, 02:57 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Wayno Complaino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaudiTT
If you open a second instance does it work?
Yes it does! I'm assuming you know why?

So, i can connect but get
Quote:
05/23/2017 08:53:10.166 Run avrdude in folder c:\WinAVR-20100110\bin
05/23/2017 08:53:10.170 Firmware is in folder ULRS_HK_1W.hex
05/23/2017 08:53:10.170 -Cavrdude.conf -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM8 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:"C:\Users\Wayne\AppData\Local\Temp\ulrs\a vrdude\firmware.hex":i
05/23/2017 08:53:18.045 Run avrdude in folder c:\WinAVR-20100110\bin
05/23/2017 08:53:18.045 Firmware is in folder ULRS_HK_1W.hex
05/23/2017 08:53:18.045 -Cavrdude.conf -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM8 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:"C:\Users\Wayne\AppData\Local\Temp\ulrs\a vrdude\firmware.hex":i
05/23/2017 08:53:18.139 avrdude.exe: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM8": Access is denied.
05/23/2017 08:53:21.960 avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
05/23/2017 08:53:22.592 avrdude.exe done. Thank you.
Just gonna go back and check the documentation, read through this morning and may have forgotten something already.....


Idiot. DTR pin! Need to solder one in on the 'bluetooth' version...... I'll be back.....
Last edited by Wayno Complaino; May 23, 2017 at 03:12 PM.
May 23, 2017, 03:19 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrab
New board! While waiting for the other to arrive I sketched out a new one. Schematic is basically the same, so no ULRS Mini but OrangeRX internal wiring.

Features
- button
- buzzer (12mm THT laying on the side, hanging off the board, see pic)
- bluetooth (HC-05, HC-06) compatible header
- analog RSSI output
- adjustable voltage regulator (see pic, search for "Mini-360 DC-DC")
- LEDs
- quad friendly 30.5mm bolt holes

While being designed primarily as a quad RX, the bolt holes and bluetooth header should also come handy when building a ground station. The bluetooth modules can be mounted using straight pins and will sit parallel to the board on top of the arduino.

As before, feedback is very much appreciated, especially since I don't actually own a quad and know nothing about them.
Nice job, very clever desing.
May 23, 2017, 03:41 PM
Registered User
I have a 100mw orange RX with ulrs flashed. When connected I have a mini servo that begins to jitter. I have used a ferrite loop on the servo wire - doesn't help much. Any other suggestions?
May 23, 2017, 03:49 PM
Durability Tester
Could you not make it much smaller if you used a 328p-pu chip rather than a whole arduino?
May 23, 2017, 03:51 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Wayno Complaino's Avatar
Hmm, cant seem to flash to the 'bluetooth' version. Get this message:
Quote:
05/23/2017 09:48:36.612 Run avrdude in folder c:\WinAVR-20100110\bin
05/23/2017 09:48:36.612 Firmware is in folder ULRS_HK_1W.hex
05/23/2017 09:48:36.612 -Cavrdude.conf -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM8 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:"C:\Users\Wayne\AppData\Local\Temp\ulrs\a vrdude\firmware.hex":i
05/23/2017 09:48:39.440 avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xcd
05/23/2017 09:48:40.081 avrdude.exe done. Thank you.


I can flash the normal version fine, maybe there is something different despite appearances.

EDIT: It works if you use the wolfbox setting when flashing!

Now to set up the bluetooth.....
Last edited by Wayno Complaino; May 23, 2017 at 03:57 PM.
May 23, 2017, 03:58 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by waka_marbella
Nice job, very clever desing.
Welcome to rcgroups and to ULRS !


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools