May 22, 2017, 12:28 PM
A320 PILOT
Flipflap thanks for all the good work . I just did my order of tow hk 1 W plus 1 more the new one with Bluetooth (just in case in future if you make it available to connect to mission planer via Bluetooth) like dragon link v3 . And I will do all the work just like your website instructions .

I am using pixhawk and apm for my plans with my ground station and will report back here for more information and as a small part of helps to everyone.

A big thanks to you for the good work man
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2017, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_t5
Flipflap thanks for all the good work . I just did my order of tow hk 1 W plus 1 more the new one with Bluetooth (just in case in future if you make it available to connect to mission planer via Bluetooth) like dragon link v3 . And I will do all the work just like your website instructions .

I am using pixhawk and apm for my plans with my ground station and will report back here for more information and as a small part of helps to everyone.

Bluetooth is no issue with ULRS. I use it in the same way as DL v3.
Last edited by Marc Dornan; May 22, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
May 22, 2017, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_t5

Hi Cool,

Welcome to ULRS !

Yes BT is supported with external modules such as here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/usin...etooth-module/ and it did before DL

But you're probably talking about the new OrangeRX modules with integrated BT, they are on the todo list and should come quick because everyone here seems to want them.

Are you a real or model A320 pilot ? In any case post some pictures !
May 22, 2017, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCrab
While doing more board design I realized that there are two types of buzzers: active buzzers just need DC voltage (usually 3.3 - 5V) to create a fixed pitch buzz. Passive buzzers are more like a speaker driver and require some sort of wave and make a sound depending on the waves frequency.

Pretty sure you need an active one for your mini. If it buzzes when you apply 5V to it, it's the correct one. Just FYI in case someone was unaware of this.
I am using active buzzer for mini board. At least it was in spec, when I bought them, but as I have told, buzzer is not working for me with ULRS fw.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5V-M...608.0.0.vhM7eK
May 22, 2017, 02:59 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
But you're probably talking about the new OrangeRX modules with integrated BT, they are on the todo list and should come quick because everyone here seems to want them.
I'm in the 'everyone' camp. Just been lurking the thread for about a month absorbing info until those modules are implemented

You're doing a great job flipflap, keep it up.
May 22, 2017, 05:21 PM
Flipflap,
2.34 ext is expired for me. Will you prolong it ? Thanks in advance.
May 22, 2017, 09:41 PM
A320 PILOT
Quote:
Hi Cool,

Welcome to ULRS !

Yes BT is supported with external modules such as here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/usin...etooth-module/ and it did before DL

Are you a real or model A320 pilot ? In any case post some pictures !
yeh i am a real Airbus pilot
and i will bost some pictures here.
and i fly all rc types 10 years now.
started fpv 2 years ago and i love it more than my heli or my jets .

Sam
Last edited by cool_t5; May 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM.
May 23, 2017, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athertop
On point 1 - yes, you can connect a BT module (in slave/server mode) to the ULRS com port. This basically provides BT connectivity to a laptop/tablet and the data that BT will feed your device will be whatever the Telemetry port at the Pixhawk is configured to send - so if you configure say Serial1 to send Mavlink data (so SERIAL1_PROTOCOL=1) at 19200 baud, and connect your Telem1 port to the ULRS Rx, then the com port on the Tx will receive that Mavlink as it was sent and your BT module connected to that port will make that Mavlink stream available to the com port on your laptop/tablet once it is connected, such that running say Mission Planner (or Tower on a tablet/phone) can access that data over the BT serial connection. (incidentally, if you feed the Tx and Gnd into the Teensy from that same com port on the Tx, then you can have the SmartPort going to your Taranis at the same time as having Mission Planner connect over Bluetooth).

Alternatively (point 2) - if you prefer to have your Pixhawk output native SmartPort data directly (I.e. you configure SERIAL1_PROTOCOL to 4, connect Telem1 port to the com port on your ULRS Rx, then at the Tx end, you would have to connect a signal inverter, and feed this into the Taranis S.Port pin - you will then have S.Port telemetry feeding end-end. There are two issues using this method though, 1. You will only have SmartPort data at the ground, so no way of also connecting Mission Planner (which needs a Mavlink connection), and 2. The SmartPort telemetry sensors emulated by Ardupilot directly are few! By this I mean, only the bare essential sensors are catered for, whilst the Teensy solution provides far more data, whilst having that added advantage mentioned above (I.e. the mission planner connected simultaneously).

Edit: Just re-read your question - if your Tx provides inverted option for the UART output then this could be used if you want to pass through native FrSky S.Port telemetry from the Pixhawk down to the ground, but - to convert the Tx/Rx to single pin serial (SmartPort is single pin/bi-directional), you will need a diode in that circuit - so would require some internal modification to your Tx - I have no idea if your LRS system is supported by ULRS though - is it?

Like I mentioned, if you want to use the SmartPort Data end-end, then you will require to build/connect a signal inverter. Its pretty simple to do, just a TTL->UART board and a diode to do the signal inversion, but like I said, the Teensy option (although more expensive) provides a much better solution.

Cheers, Paul (athertop)
Paul, thanks for your detailed answer, sorry that it took me a while to process all the information and get back to you (I'm also currently working on trying to link some frsky modules directly into ardupilot and have their data be converted to mavlink as opposed to having mavlink be converted into an frsky telemetry protocol: https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/6296 )

As discussed on your github issue, I now understand that the teensy is used for 2 things
1) inverted serial (absent on some/most modules, but present on my hawkeye DTF UHF deluxe JR TX which will however never be supported by uLRS (or at least as long as it remains closed source)
2) more cpu power/flash/RAM than the inboard 328p module that's kind of underpowered.
I'm assuming all the RAM and/or flash of the 328p is already used by uLRS or openlrsng, so fitting your translation code in there is likely not possible, hence requiring a 2nd microcontroller, correct? <= question #1

Then while my DTF module is currently able to generate taranis telemetry thanks to its built in inverted serial support that's able to generate telemetry data to feed into sport on the taranis, I would have to cut off its sport trace, or put an openlrsng+gitsly branch that disables all sport output without holding the line low or high (maybe not possible, so I'd likely have to cut the trace and connect it to the teensy).

Thank you for confirming that as long as I'm ok with 19200bps, I can indeed have mavlink go to to the teensy (receiving only) and then be sent to the taranis, while having the serial RX/TX pins also go to a BT module and end up on tower on my phone or my laptop via bluetooth. This would allow my removing the rfg900/3dr radio on the aircraft, which would be great.
I understand that method 2 (SERIAL1_PROTOCOL to 4) is less desirable, even if it allows for more data bandwidth. I would indeed not be using this since I want mavlink to my GCS. However I think that with the LUA/taranis support that has been added in opentx 2.1, one could however send smartport data directly to an openlrs module set to 19200 and have the telemetry flow directly to the taranis without needing the teensy or hacking the JR TX module at all, which could be nice for some applications.

You wrote "Just re-read your question - if your Tx provides inverted option for the UART output then this could be used if you want to pass through native FrSky S.Port telemetry from the Pixhawk down to the ground, but - to convert the Tx/Rx to single pin serial (SmartPort is single pin/bi-directional), you will need a diode in that circuit - so would require some internal modification to your Tx - I have no idea if your LRS system is supported by ULRS though - is it?"
Does smartport on the taranis need to send data from the taranis back to pixhawk for it to send telemetry? I thought it could be receive only and have the pixhawk just feed data blindly? <= question #2

All I know is that right now with openlrsng, I do get sport data for 2 analog values working at the moment, so I'm assuming sending data fed into the RX of the LRS module would go down and reach the sport connection? <= question #3

I agree that if I must have an external circuit, I will totally use your teensy solution, it's superior by far. I love the teensy, I already use it for my projects, like this big 24x24 matrix which couldn't fit into the RAM of a 328p: http://marc.merlins.org/perso/arduin...rix-Panel-Demo

Thanks for your answer again and all your work to make this possible,
Marc
Last edited by marcmerlin; May 23, 2017 at 02:42 AM.
May 23, 2017, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Apparently there's no arduino mega running on a small board similar to the arduino pro mini, else I'd simply switched to this board and the code would require very minimal modifications.

And yes the current chip is limited not only by the program and ram size, but also by its hardware limitations. For example there's only one hardware serial port, and that makes it very difficult to generate at the same time SBUS and telemetry. It's implement software serial, but as SBUS is relatively fast (100 kbps), it requires interrupts every 10 Ás and this has too much impact on other features.

Apart from this the RAM and program memory are already almost full and it becomes very tricky to add new features.

The best would be to have some room to breathe by switching to another microcontroller.
Since uLRS is incompatible with most existing openlrsng hardware anyway, I think it's not a bad idea.
Given the discussion I just had with athertop and realizing that his code could have been running directly inside the TX module if it had enough RAM/flash (and inverted serial support for sport, which some already have), +1 one to the idea of switching to teensy 3.x
While AT mega is better for storage, honestly it's still a slow chip full of limitations that aren't in the teensy, and the teensy doesn't cost any more money, so it's a great choice IMO, the 32bits and much higher clock rate allow it to do many other things a mega never could.
May 23, 2017, 02:51 AM

What best case telemetry range can one expect from 100mW?

I have multiple brotronics modules I very much like due to their backup lipo and find me feature, as well as diversity support.
If I have a half wave antenna on the RX, and a moxon (IBCrazy) antenna on the TX, what ballpark range can I expect if the RX module is transmitting back at let's say 80mW?
Just to have an idea if I can expect only 1-3km, or 5-10km range, or more.

Thanks,
Marc
May 23, 2017, 03:49 AM
Thread OP
The best is to use the ULRS range estimator, it will extrapolate the maximum range based on the RSSI at any other distance. This will take into account your exact setup, power and antennas. It's a simple extrapolation based on the transmission formula :

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulrs-range-estimator/
May 23, 2017, 04:41 AM
FPV Melbourne
Nothing to see here move along
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 03:50 AM.
May 23, 2017, 06:02 AM
RC fanatic
Marc, I'll answer your questions in turn below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmerlin
Paul, thanks for your detailed answer, sorry that it took me a while to process all the information and get back to you (I'm also currently working on trying to link some frsky modules directly into ardupilot and have their data be converted to mavlink as opposed to having mavlink be converted into an frsky telemetry protocol: https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/6296 )
Good luck with that, although not sure why you would need this if your ardupilot already has that sensor data due to all the pixhawk/apm integrated and connected devices.

Quote:
As discussed your github issue, I now understand that the teensy is used for 2 things
1) inverted serial (absent on some/most modules, but present on my hawkeye DTF UHF deluxe JR TX which will however never be supported by uLRS (or at least as long as it remains closed source.
Not really. It simply outputs native smartport protocol. This is a single pin serial protocol, yes, but the teensy is not simply inverting anything - it takes the mavlink input on a 2 wire serial uart input and converts it and outputs as smartport on a single pin.

Quote:
2) more cpu power/flash/RAM than the inboard 328p module that's kind of underpowered.
I'm assuming all the RAM and/or flash of the 328p is already used by uLRS or openlrsng, so fitting your translation code in there is likely not possible, hence requiring a 2nd microcontroller, correct? <= question #1
Yes, no way to shoehorn in my code and it would be pointless anyway as it's written for the 32bit teensy.

Quote:
Then while my DTF module is currently able to generate taranis telemetry thanks to its built in inverted serial support that's able to generate telemetry data to feed into sport on the taranis, I would have to cut off its sport trace, or put an openlrsng+gitsly branch that disables all sport output without holding the line low or high (maybe not possible, so I'd likely have to cut the trace and connect it to the teensy).
Wow, didn't realise your DTF could generate telemetry. If that's truly the case and it can natively invert and combine the output to single pin inverted serial, then why would you need to cut anything? Surely in this case you would just have ardupilot output smartport data and feed this via your rx/tx into the Taranis natively? Think you may be mixing things up with my previous comment about allowing a teensy board to gain access to the Taranis sport pin in the module bay via your tx module. The cutting traces I mentioned is simply to disconnect that pin from anything inside your tx module allowing you to connect the teensy output instead.

Quote:
Thank you for confirming that as long as I'm ok with 19200bps, I can indeed have mavlink go to to the teensy (receiving only) and then be sent to the taranis, while having the serial RX/TX pins also go to a BT module and end up on tower on my phone or my laptop via bluetooth. This would allow my removing the rfg900/3dr radio on the aircraft, which would be great.
That's not exactly correct. The pixhawk would output a mavlink serial data rate of 19200 to the port in a ULRS running rx (ULRS sets the port to 19200 for rx), and your tx running ULRS would output a data rate of 57600 into both a BT module (tx and rx from rx connected) and into teensy (tx only connected). Yes, no need for 3dr radios any more.

Quote:
I understand that method 2 (SERIAL1_PROTOCOL to 4) is less desirable, even if it allows for more data bandwidth. I would indeed not be using this since I want mavlink to my GCS. However I think that with the LUA/taranis support that has been added in opentx 2.1, one could however send smartport data directly to an openlrs module set to 19200 and have the telemetry flow directly to the taranis without needing the teensy or hacking the JR TX module at all, which could be nice for some applications.
That's not entirely correct either. Opentx 2.0 included smartport/lua also and when I initially got involved in the teensy project, it supported this older version of Opentx. And yes, it may be possible running your hardware to avoid any hardware hacking if you are OK with just feeding native smartport telemetry end to end. I really can't be 100% though on this. Why don't you give it a try?

Quote:
You wrote - if your Tx provides inverted option for the UART output then this could be used if you want to pass through native FrSky S.Port telemetry from the Pixhawk down to the ground, but - to convert the Tx/Rx to single pin serial (SmartPort is single pin/bi-directional), you will need a diode in that circuit - so would require some internal modification to your Tx - I have no idea if your LRS system is supported by ULRS though - is it?"
I don't know if your tx module would need hacking or not with the diode mentioned. I do know that smartport is single wire inverted serial, and it appears that your module may already include hardware to do that. I honestly can't comment further on this.

Quote:
Does smartport on the taranis need to send data from the taranis back to pixhawk for it to send telemetry? I thought it could be receive only and have the pixhawk just feed data blindly? <= question #2
No it doesn't. Listen-only is fine as long as you use a port with configurable SRn_ values in ardupilot.

Quote:
All I know is that right now with openlrsng, I do get sport data for 2 analog values working at the moment, so I'm assuming sending data fed into the RX of the LRS module would go down and reach the sport connection? <= question #3
No idea how your LRS system works, so can't answer this Sorry.

Think if you need to continue this conversation that we move this away from this particular ULRS discussion, as it's not really related to ULRS any more and feel we are hogging the forum here quite a bit. Maybe continue on Github, althpough I'm not sure how I could help you much further to be honest.

Think I need a lie down now after the longest post on the thread (almost) :-)

Cheers, Paul
Last edited by athertop; May 23, 2017 at 09:01 AM.
May 23, 2017, 09:30 AM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Flipflap, Just got this through the post and wanted to share with you just in case it helps with you adding support for them.

Am I right in thinking that the 'tx' is just a normal one with a standard Bluetooth module inside the case? I would think then that it is already supported by ULRS?

Note: the shield was badly soldered to the module, it basically fell off...

May 23, 2017, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the pictures, could you try it without the BT module plugged in ? If it can be connected to ULRS CC and show the basic information such as temperature, then yes it should work out of the box. Then try with the BT, maybe this one is programmed for a different baudrate than 57k6.

Quick Reply