Apr 20, 2017, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattve
Thank you flipflap. I will follow your instructions.
Thanks

The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Official Lyric Video) (3 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 04:04 PM

Burning a new boot loader to the wolfbox RX

Here is what I've done to burn a new bootloader to the Wolfbox RX.

1/ what you need
  • Iron - with small solder tip
  • Wire
  • Usbasp programmer
  • Arduino installed on a computer
  • magnifying glass - could help

2/ Connect to the 328p
  • thatís the critical part : solder MOSI/MISO/SCK and RST on the 328p pin. See pictures.
  • Vcc and Gnd : use existing pin

3/ Connect to Arduino, in the Tools menu :
  • Select the board : Arduino Duemilanove or Diecemila
  • Processor : atmega 328
  • Programmer : USBasp
  • Port : select your USBasp port
Then select burn Bootloader. There will be some warning, just ignore them.
Led is flashing on the programmer and then the green light is blinking on the RX.

4/ Firmware installation
use ULRS to flash the firmware, do not select Wolfbox board but ulrs mini board or use the CLI to run avrdude at 57600 baudrate.

At your own risk
Apr 20, 2017, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I've added a link to your post on this page http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ in the 'additional information' section.
Apr 20, 2017, 05:26 PM
That's interesting. I'll have to change my power strategy as I'm powering the Rx from the FC (Pixracer) from a power module. No problems so far but thanks for the heads up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Powering through the APM power module is to be avoided : the APM requires a very clean power and the ULRS will add a lot of noise on it because it sends for a few milliseconds (high current) then listens for a few milliseconds (low current).

The recommended way to power the ULRS 1W is directly from the battery (for the modules with a switching regulator, such as the OrangeRX 1W TX or Wolfbox 1W TX).
Apr 20, 2017, 09:15 PM
@flipflap
I try to order Monkey board on dirtypcbs.com and I get the red warning message as attached file, does it fine to order or I need to edit the pcb size on dirtypcbs?
thanks
Apr 20, 2017, 11:57 PM
Thread OP
I didn't order that one yet, so I'll let someone else answer, but I'd say it's OK.
Apr 21, 2017, 05:53 AM
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 03:59 AM.
Apr 21, 2017, 05:57 AM
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 03:59 AM.
Apr 21, 2017, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
Hi Yak, not yet worked on the Teensy
Apr 21, 2017, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by urlu75
Hi all,

Here is the situation: I have 1 board used as the TX and others are RX. They are all the same.
With some of them, I have a bad quality signal on the receiver.
On the 2 pictures, I used the same TX, and the same antenna on the RX. TX and RX are about 1 meter distance. ULRS is plugged on the RX.
What could explain such difference ? Could it be an issue with the RF module ?
Any idea ?
no one with an idea or a clue of what 's going on ? same board, same thing but different RSSI.
I really don't know what to do with these board...
Apr 21, 2017, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
The RSSI difference is huge, I suspect that the RF transistor of one of the modules is dead. Another possibility is that the UFL cable to the antenna has an issue, which is very common on OrangeRX modules, it's better to always replace them.

To check this compare the power consumption of the modules separately, when they are programmed as TX (a TX is able to transmit at a regular rate when no RX is running so it should give a predictable and comparable current consumption.
Apr 21, 2017, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
The RSSI difference is huge, I suspect that the RF transistor of one of the modules is dead. Another possibility is that the UFL cable to the antenna has an issue, which is very common on OrangeRX modules, it's better to always replace them.

To check this compare the power consumption of the modules separately, when they are programmed as TX (a TX is able to transmit at a regular rate when no RX is running so it should give a predictable and comparable current consumption.
I changed all the RX to TX to measure power consumption. No cable to the antenna, it's directly attached to the SMA connector solder on the board.

The modules that are correctly receiving consume around 74mah as a TX
Module that are not correctly receiving consume around 57mah.

I don't know what to conclude, I rechecked everything, transmission is ok but with the bad RSSI. RF transistor dead ?
Apr 21, 2017, 05:02 PM
Sittin' on a hill
Hi everyone. I've been away from this project for a few months while I moved into a new home, but now that things have settled down I'm trying to get ULRS working with my Pixhawk Lite.

I flashed both of my homemade modules to the latest firmware and I can see the control inputs move in the CC when I have my Rx connected. That's good. I know my modules are talking to each other.

But I can't connect to my Pixhawk through Mission Planner. I also don't see anything in the downlink section of the telemetry information. I'm assuming this means my ULRS Rx isn't communicating with my Pixhawk. I checked my settings and it looks like the baud rate is set to 19 for both serial 1 and serial 2. I think these are the correct values for ULRS so I don't know why it isn't working for MavLink.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to check?
Apr 21, 2017, 08:02 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by windspeaker
Hi everyone. I've been away from this project for a few months while I moved into a new home, but now that things have settled down I'm trying to get ULRS working with my Pixhawk Lite.

I flashed both of my homemade modules to the latest firmware and I can see the control inputs move in the CC when I have my Rx connected. That's good. I know my modules are talking to each other.

But I can't connect to my Pixhawk through Mission Planner. I also don't see anything in the downlink section of the telemetry information. I'm assuming this means my ULRS Rx isn't communicating with my Pixhawk. I checked my settings and it looks like the baud rate is set to 19 for both serial 1 and serial 2. I think these are the correct values for ULRS so I don't know why it isn't working for MavLink.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to check?
That is the correct baud rate for the radio link but the newer versions of ULRS connect from MP at 56K not 115K.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Apr 21, 2017, 08:49 PM
never mind work it out
Last edited by yak-54; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply