Mar 19, 2017, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard176
Might take a look into that, I quite like the DX8 so not sure about changing tho!

Thanks! Yea I'd be a RC transmitter in hand kinda guy. I'm looking into grabbing 2 of these for the telemetry link. Aiming for a bit more range so planning this with my old APM to set up an antenna tracker instead of going the 'more power' route

Did a bit of digging around and found this not sure if its related. Didn't look too complicated but will have to look into seeing what cable I need to make up to connect the Orange LRS to the DX8's trainer port
I may stand corrected. If you get PPM through the trainer port you should be good -- except you will still be using a DX8!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2017, 10:12 PM
I recently swapped my apm for a pixracer on my 280 quad. I no longer can receive a ppm signal. I'm also posting the issue on the pixracer forum however ulrs users might also have potential solution to my issue.

I'm using a ulrs flashed (2.33) orange 100mw receiver that was working with the a APM mini
Pixracer is running the latest copter (3.4.6)
I have connected the ppm on the orange to the RCin on the pixracer
Mission planner shows no RC connection (Led lights on the orange indicate there is a connection between the TX and RX)
I also removed a working Dolphin from another rig and tested with the pixracer. Same issue

I search the ulrs threads and it appears others have had issues with the pixracer. Just could not find a solution that I understood. Kind of wishing I left the apm installed at this point. Help appreciated.

Got it working by removing a resistor on the pixracer see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=9052
Last edited by jjhdtv; Mar 22, 2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: more information solved
Mar 19, 2017, 11:11 PM
you need a signal inverter. The polarity of the ppm signal is a feature listed in the next release.
Mar 20, 2017, 01:08 AM
Thread OP
If I remember well it was a question of inverted or not PPM signal, but this was sorted out on Pixracer side : there was a of bug fix to make it wait a normal (non inverted) PPM signal.

Links to the patch are in this post.

More info here with confirmation from Tridge.

And on the Arducopter github here.

The other possible issue is that the OrangeRX gives 3.3V and the Pixracer waits for a 5V signal. Normally this doesn't make a problem, but it's an idea.
Last edited by flipflap; Mar 20, 2017 at 01:26 AM.
Mar 20, 2017, 04:37 AM
I've been through this too and pixracer can happily accept 3v as well as 5v on ppm. You can alter the inverter schematics so it produced 3v on output. No problem as for the voltage.

But the only solution that worked for my 2 pixracers was to invert the signal to normal signal. Tried it on apm as well as px4 with all the possible patches.
Mar 20, 2017, 07:42 AM
It works fine for me on the Rover. No inverter required, 16 channels available. Running ArduRover but I have had Ardcopter installed on this setup with no problem either. Not sure about Plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd72002
I've been through this too and pixracer can happily accept 3v as well as 5v on ppm. You can alter the inverter schematics so it produced 3v on output. No problem as for the voltage.

But the only solution that worked for my 2 pixracers was to invert the signal to normal signal. Tried it on apm as well as px4 with all the possible patches.
Mar 20, 2017, 08:20 AM
i don't think it was ever fixed in the Plane firmware.
Mar 20, 2017, 10:13 AM
I've got ULRS v2.34 working perfectly using 2x 100mw OrangeRX units - one as the TX and one as the RX.

However, I have no idea how to set the failsafe on my TX (100mw unit setup as TX).

Does anyone know?

TX
>output4(ch3, arduino D7) - PPM input
>output7(ch6, arduino D10) - FS button (between signal and ground) ?

RX
>output4(ch3,arduino D7) - PPM output

But connecting ground and signal for the channels either side of my ULRS output7 on my TX didn't work.

When I turn the TX off, my RX stopps sending the PPM.
ULRS CC doesn't show the failsafe servo values, but just writes 'failsafe'.
So if it shows failsafe it means that it detected a failsafe event, but it doesn't guarantee that the failsafe values are stored already.
Mar 20, 2017, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr
It works fine for me on the Rover. No inverter required, 16 channels available. Running ArduRover but I have had Ardcopter installed on this setup with no problem either. Not sure about Plane.
Interesting.. my pixracers are black. Wondering if there are different board versions - some accept inverted ppm others don't
Mar 20, 2017, 04:13 PM
There are genuine AUAV PixRacers and there are Clones (as clone is commonly understood). I have one of each and they both perform the same. There was a firmware fix to address a clone issue specifically but it was for gyro initialization. Then there was another general fix for Pixracer for the PPM input. But these were several Rev's ago now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd72002
Interesting.. my pixracers are black. Wondering if there are different board versions - some accept inverted ppm others don't
Last edited by dkemxr; Mar 20, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
Mar 20, 2017, 05:20 PM
@flipflap
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but for the sake of your (future) business I think it would be beneficial to have some ULRS promotion intro video that people could insert into their youtube videos. Similar to the "Flown with Dragonlink" splash screens.

Maybe someone here could help you out.
Mar 20, 2017, 05:42 PM
Thread OP
yes it's an excellent idea, if someone has ideas they're welcome.

I don't like the "flown with ..." sentence, but can't explain why. Maybe the passive form, and the black background doesn't evoke a flight or the sky. The whole thing, "flown with" and the black color sound like a crash. The animation and the logo are OK.
Mar 20, 2017, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by oygs031
I've got ULRS v2.34 working perfectly using 2x 100mw OrangeRX units - one as the TX and one as the RX.

However, I have no idea how to set the failsafe on my TX (100mw unit setup as TX).

Does anyone know?

TX
>output4(ch3, arduino D7) - PPM input
>output7(ch6, arduino D10) - FS button (between signal and ground) ?

RX
>output4(ch3,arduino D7) - PPM output

But connecting ground and signal for the channels either side of my ULRS output7 on my TX didn't work.

When I turn the TX off, my RX stopps sending the PPM.
ULRS CC doesn't show the failsafe servo values, but just writes 'failsafe'.
So if it shows failsafe it means that it detected a failsafe event, but it doesn't guarantee that the failsafe values are stored already.
Hi, welcome to rcgroups and to the thread ! It's a pleasure to see new users joining rcgroups almost every day !

You're right, the pin to use for the FS button on the 100mW modules isn't shown on the diagram : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti...iring-diagram/

However my computer is still in the car (I'm just back from Hannover in Germany, 6 hours trip by car) so I'll confirm the good pin tomorrow. And probably post some photos.
Mar 21, 2017, 12:58 AM
Still having ppm issues with the pixracer. I made the signal inverter and reflashed to the latest copter. No signal shown in mission planner. I once again plugged the rx (with the signal inverter wired up) back into a mini apm. It showed all channels in mission planner.

My pixracer is black - pretty sure it is a clone- bought at RTFQuads.
Not sure what to try next. Is there a way to verify the signal inverter is doing its job?
Mar 21, 2017, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhdtv
Still having ppm issues with the pixracer. I made the signal inverter and reflashed to the latest copter. No signal shown in mission planner. I once again plugged the rx (with the signal inverter wired up) back into a mini apm. It showed all channels in mission planner.

My pixracer is black - pretty sure it is a clone- bought at RTFQuads.
Not sure what to try next. Is there a way to verify the signal inverter is doing its job?
What ULRS module are you using? What voltage does it provide normally on ppm pin?

Quick Reply