Thread Tools
Dec 09, 2016, 04:17 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkster
Is it mid December yet? Itching to start using my lrsmax gear

Gitsly doesn't fill me with confidence.

What is the cc written in? Is it easy to port to another platform? An android version that just shows the stats, spectrum analyser and broadcasts the mavlink server would be a great addition for those who can't cart a netbook around.

Stats on phone connected by bt to tx module and tower on tablet connected by ad-hoc WiFi network

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Hi and welcome to rcgroups !

We're not yet mid-December, but the LRSMAX and SBUS will be in the release as announced.

An ULRS CC for Android and several other platform will be done, I understand that bringing a laptop on the field is problematic, but it won't be in the short term.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2016, 04:25 PM
Registered User
gyrex's Avatar
[QUOTE=Marc Dornan;36383559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrex

You solder the bridge and you get about 0-5 on the RSSI pin of the dolphin. If you do not solder thr bridge you are getting PWM, which Pixhawk cannot read for RSSI (unless it is on a PPM channel). So connect RSSI to Pixhawk SBUS and set thr Pixhawk RSSI param to analog on pin 13 as I remember.

Oh, forgot, you need a voltage dividor in the cable. Forgot the values I used. Two resistors whose value when divided is .66. Make them in the 50k range.
Thanks Marc. In Mission planner I set RSSI_TYPE=1, RSSI_ANA_PIN=103, RSSI_PIN_LOW=0, RSSI_PIN_HIGH=5.

In MP, what value do you get for rxrssi when your radio and bird are sitting close to one another? Is rxrssi supposed to work within a range of 0-100? I'm getting 65.

I'll install a voltage divider today and see if that fixes the problem. I just install 2 resistors in series yeh? Oh, and being an electronics newbie, can you explain why I should use resistors in the 50k+ ohm range?
Dec 09, 2016, 05:10 PM
Registered User
Any ideas why my full strength reading on the analog rssi pin (Dolphin Board) is so low (0.4v)?
Solder bridge looks good.
Dec 09, 2016, 05:27 PM
Registered User
gyrex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhdtv
Any ideas why my full strength reading on the analog rssi pin (Dolphin Board) is so low (0.4v)?
Solder bridge looks good.
Did you build the board yourself?

I'd double check and make sure that the resistor array (U5) is 1k and double check that the C5 capacitor is 1uF. They're the only components I can see that are in the RSSI circuit.

Dec 09, 2016, 05:48 PM
Registered User

Ghettostation antenna tracker


Is anyone having success using ghettostation antenna tracker (https://github.com/KipK/Ghettostation) with UltimateLRS? I have been using the antenna tracker with fsk modems and now want to go away from openlrsng and feed the tracker with serial data from UltimateLRS via BT. I have confirmed that the BT link is good by connecting the 2nd module to a laptop via ftdi and it connects to mission planer. I can't however get the antenna tracker to recognize the mavlink. Anyone have a suggestion? All connections (rx tx) have been triple checked. Anyone else using a different antenna tracker with UltimateLRS?

David
Dec 09, 2016, 08:54 PM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrex
Did you build the board yourself?

I'd double check and make sure that the resistor array (U5) is 1k and double check that the C5 capacitor is 1uF. They're the only components I can see that are in the RSSI circuit.

As Marc pointed out earlier, even with the link soldered on the Dolphin board (to introduce that smoothing cap), the voltage output is based on 100% being approx 5v. Unfortunately the Pixhawk accepts 3.3v max, which is why your 5v is causing an RSSI of 67%. It is required to create a voltage divider network to reduce the 100% RSSI voltage to 3.3v or less, then configure that setting in Ardupilot parameters to reflect that max voltage.

For the resistors, I used 2k2 and 330R which gives 3.18v at 100% RSSI.

To be honest, I don't find the RSSI reading as being very accurate anyway. I am waiting until Ben writes the code for passing the RSSI over a channel which will allow us to configure the PWM option for RSSI in ardupilot parameters instead of analog. I think it will give a much more accurate solution.
Dec 09, 2016, 11:13 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by athertop
As Marc pointed out earlier, even with the link soldered on the Dolphin board (to introduce that smoothing cap), the voltage output is based on 100% being approx 5v. Unfortunately the Pixhawk accepts 3.3v max, which is why your 5v is causing an RSSI of 67%. It is required to create a voltage divider network to reduce the 100% RSSI voltage to 3.3v or less, then configure that setting in Ardupilot parameters to reflect that max voltage.

For the resistors, I used 2k2 and 330R which gives 3.18v at 100% RSSI.

To be honest, I don't find the RSSI reading as being very accurate anyway. I am waiting until Ben writes the code for passing the RSSI over a channel which will allow us to configure the PWM option for RSSI in ardupilot parameters instead of analog. I think it will give a much more accurate solution.
Agree. We need RSSI in PPM.
Dec 09, 2016, 11:45 PM
Registered User
gyrex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Agree. We need RSSI in PPM.
I'll throw my hand up for this too. Makes it much easier.
Dec 10, 2016, 12:08 AM
Registered User
[QUOTE=gyrex;36383706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan

Thanks Marc. In Mission planner I set RSSI_TYPE=1, RSSI_ANA_PIN=103, RSSI_PIN_LOW=0, RSSI_PIN_HIGH=5.

In MP, what value do you get for rxrssi when your radio and bird are sitting close to one another? Is rxrssi supposed to work within a range of 0-100? I'm getting 65.

I'll install a voltage divider today and see if that fixes the problem. I just install 2 resistors in series yeh? Oh, and being an electronics newbie, can you explain why I should use resistors in the 50k+ ohm range?
The only reason I suggested higher values was so that the 1k resistor you already have on he Dolphin board does not mess with the calculation. But any values work as long as voltage is under 3.3, You have parameters to set the max RSSI voltage. You set yours to 5v! And yes 100 is supposedly the max. It is fairly inaccurate measurement. Check the readings with a voltmeter first to see that they make sense.

A voltage divider should only lower your voltage and RSSI reading! I am not sure the Pixhawk will take 5v on the subus--maybe someone can confirm.
Last edited by Marc Dornan; Dec 10, 2016 at 12:15 AM.
Dec 10, 2016, 02:06 AM
Registered User
gyrex's Avatar
[QUOTE=Marc Dornan;36386300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrex

The only reason I suggested higher values was so that the 1k resistor you already have on he Dolphin board does not mess with the calculation. But any values work as long as voltage is under 3.3, You have parameters to set the max RSSI voltage. You set yours to 5v! And yes 100 is supposedly the max. It is fairly inaccurate measurement. Check the readings with a voltmeter first to see that they make sense.

A voltage divider should only lower your voltage and RSSI reading! I am not sure the Pixhawk will take 5v on the subus--maybe someone can confirm.
Thanks for the reply Marc! I just bought some 200k & 100k resistors and measured voltage with the radio and bird next to one another and it came out at 3.18v. I've set that as max voltage and can see RSSI at 100 now which obviously makes more sense than a static 65.

You can set the pixhawk to 5v but obviously it doesn't work well Thanks again for you help mate!

If Flip did manage to incorporate getting RSSI from a PWM how would the Taranis get that information? With my FrSky stuff (D4R & X8R), the Taranis automatically knows RSSI - how does it know this?
Dec 10, 2016, 02:47 AM
FPV Melbourne
yak-54's Avatar
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 04:38 AM.
Dec 10, 2016, 03:06 AM
Registered User
gyrex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54
All good had 4 x 14min flight on my 250 quad with the hamster board its only 42 x 42 mm fits in the frame nice with rssi
here's the board if some wont's one
so all up its a spongeboard made lot smaller and rssi pin

http://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/...olin-jr-rx-zip

thanks to Leif ( spongeboard ) designer for his help
Well done mate, looks like an absolute cracker! I'll probably get some and build them just for the fun of it Thanks for creating what looks to be an awesome PCB Yak!
Dec 10, 2016, 06:41 AM
FPV Melbourne
yak-54's Avatar
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 04:38 AM.
Dec 10, 2016, 06:59 AM
FPV Melbourne
yak-54's Avatar
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 04:39 AM.
Dec 10, 2016, 07:58 AM
Registered User
gyrex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54
yep thanks its for people like me KISS ( Keep it simple, stupid )
I vote for a name change. Since you're an aussie it should be an Australian animal Platypus, Echidna etc


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools