Dec 07, 2016, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Gyrex -- this is one of my Dolphin TX setups, mainly for LR FPV. I will be adding a Teensy into this when I get a chance. Works flawlessly now. The HC05 only has to reach as far as the android mounted on the Tx.

It was actually easier to mount the ULRS and HCO5 in a plastic box that is clamped to the transmitter stand. I need to keep the moxon not at 45 degrees. It just comes off in seconds.

I may well do an Ardupilot antenna tracker with a yagi and 1.3 panel with with a FrSky relay. Winter project.

I have been busy with work but a small fleet or fixed wings is gathering. Hope I can start posting some nice footage at some point as I have a Pix2 with heated IMU so in theory I can brave the midwest winter weather -- this thread needs more ULRS aerial footage.
My setup looks kind of similar to this at the moment

* I got a monitor mount printed via 3Dhubs so that's holding the 7" FPV monitor
* Got my 1.3GHz vRx mounted to the back of the monitor with velcro
* Planning on cramming the dolphin board + HC-05 + arduino Frsky-Mavlink converter into the module bay
* dipole sticking out the side

I'll take a photo soon but it's all in parts while I try and get bluetooth and the arduino working.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2016, 04:14 AM
Can anyone please explain the process of flashing a bootloader to the OrangeRX 1Watt modules. without using Arduino IDE.

For some reason I am getting errors on the Arduino IDE (something to do with SCK, I can get full error later) I tried using an Uno as a ISP and also a USBISP.

I have downloaded AVRDUDESS and did finally manage to get a ULRS (old version) hex flashed at some point last night , but I do not know what hex file i should use for the bootloader and what the fuses should be set at.

Any help is appreciated.
Dec 07, 2016, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulham
Can anyone please explain the process of flashing a bootloader to the OrangeRX 1Watt modules. without using Arduino IDE.

For some reason I am getting errors on the Arduino IDE (something to do with SCK, I can get full error later) I tried using an Uno as a ISP and also a USBISP.

I have downloaded AVRDUDESS and did finally manage to get a ULRS (old version) hex flashed at some point last night , but I do not know what hex file i should use for the bootloader and what the fuses should be set at.

Any help is appreciated.
One of the ways is using Raspberry Pi. I've been only using AVRDUDE on RPi over SPI. It does not require bootloader but you can happily flash anything you want this way, including bootloader itself. I can provide details if you want to go this route.
Dec 07, 2016, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrex
It's for a single filter - they're expensive parts

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Wow, this is expensive! So one of them is on the way to me. What do you recon, should I use it on my receiver or transmitter? Or actually buy more of them and then make some profit by selling them on ebay
Dec 07, 2016, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd72002
One of the ways is using Raspberry Pi. I've been only using AVRDUDE on RPi over SPI. It does not require bootloader but you can happily flash anything you want this way, including bootloader itself. I can provide details if you want to go this route.
Hi, Thanks for your response and your offer to provide details on your procedure.
Hopefully somebody can give information regarding using windows or mac (which will be easier for me). But I do have a few spare RPi's but it will be a bit of a hassle setting one up.
Will let you know!
Thanks
Dec 07, 2016, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd72002
Wow, this is expensive! So one of them is on the way to me. What do you recon, should I use it on my receiver or transmitter? Or actually buy more of them and then make some profit by selling them on ebay
Guys, the expensive filter is optional. You can just use a wire bridge in its place. It does reduce out of band noise but it also reduces sensitivity slightly. I have been meaning to range test with and without the filter.
Dec 07, 2016, 08:36 AM
Quote:
I'm really struggling to get bluetooth working. HC-06 connected to the dolphin board on my radio. Set my HC-06 to 57600 baud, successfully paired it in windows and changed the port baud rate of the COM port to 57600 in device manager and I can't connect to either MP or ULRS software. Any tips?
I figured out the problem with my bluetooth modules. It's super important to have a common ground between the dolphin board and the bluetooth module. Without a common ground it won't connect properly.

I don't know much about electronics so I was wondering if someone could help me with a theoretical question. I solved my problem above by routing power from the dolphin board's 5v/gnd pads but if the dolphin board didn't have a 5v supply and I needed a separate 5v power source, how would I solve this problem by having a common ground for serial connection between the dolphin board and the bluetooth module?

Is this how I'd need to set it up if the dolphin board didn't have a 5v supply?

Dec 07, 2016, 08:40 AM
Paulham, you can use SINA PROG to flash bootloader. Fuse FF DA FD (for Optiboot - bootloader). Bootloader you can get from Openlrsng GitHub (https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng, folder bootloaders, optiboot_atmega328.hex ). Check this
How to use sinaprog to burn hex code and set fusebits with avr mcu :1 (4 min 33 sec)
Dec 07, 2016, 08:56 AM
Quote:
I figured out the problem with my bluetooth modules. It's super important to have a common ground between the dolphin board and the bluetooth module. Without a common ground it won't connect properly.

I don't know much about electronics so I was wondering if someone could help me with a theoretical question. I solved my problem above by routing power from the dolphin board's 5v/gnd pads but if the dolphin board didn't have a 5v supply and I needed a separate 5v power source, how would I solve this problem by having a common ground for serial connection between the dolphin board and the bluetooth module?

Is this how I'd need to set it up if the dolphin board didn't have a 5v supply?

Yep -- that is about right.
Dec 07, 2016, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO
EDIT: No need to change the code for 115kbaud. ULRS now runs on 57kbaud.
Will update soon with new guide and hex-file.
Meanwhile, compile your own from Mike's git repository and do not change it in any way.

Attached compiled file for the ProMini
Guide how I got it running also attached.

EDIT: Also tested connecting a HC-05 Bluetooth module in parallel. It's working very nicely together wih the converter.
EDIT_2: Updated Doc with Bluetooth connection.
EDIT_3: Added simple Lua-script. Remove the .txt extension and copy it to the Taranis SD-card folder /SCRIPTS/TELEMETRY

Please report any errors or improvements.
/J
Hi JNJO,

I followed your document and I can't seem to get any telemetry displayed on my Taranis. I managed to get Mike's code working when I hooked it up to a D4R-II and an X8R but for some strange reason it's not working with the ULRS. Have you got any ideas mate? I've got a HC-05 hooked up in parallel and followed your attached document. When I go to discover new sensors, my Taranis just sits there doing nothing.

I can successfully connect to mission planner via bluetooth so there's definitely mavlink data coming through the radio link.
Dec 07, 2016, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesicin
Paulham, you can use SINA PROG to flash bootloader. Fuse FF DA FD (for Optiboot - bootloader). Bootloader you can get from Openlrsng GitHub (https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng, folder bootloaders, optiboot_atmega328.hex ). Check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnHBncTvkGo
Thank you, I will try this later,
Regarding the fuses. How do I set these using SinaProg? as in which fuses do each relate to? I can see on SinaProg that there is a High Fuse, Low Fuse and Ext Fuse.

Also, what about Lock Bits?
I assume the fields will un-grey when I attach a programmer via USB.

Here is the fuses screen -
Dec 07, 2016, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Gyrex -- this is one of my Dolphin TX setups, mainly for LR FPV. I will be adding a Teensy into this when I get a chance. Works flawlessly now. The HC05 only has to reach as far as the android mounted on the Tx.

It was actually easier to mount the ULRS and HCO5 in a plastic box that is clamped to the transmitter stand. I need to keep the moxon not at 45 degrees. It just comes off in seconds.

I may well do an Ardupilot antenna tracker with a yagi and 1.3 panel with with a FrSky relay. Winter project.

I have been busy with work but a small fleet or fixed wings is gathering. Hope I can start posting some nice footage at some point as I have a Pix2 with heated IMU so in theory I can brave the midwest winter weather -- this thread needs more ULRS aerial footage.
Here's my final setup...

I printed the monitor mount from thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349502
The monitor mount has a cool feature where you can fit a custom made 18650 3S battery pack in there to supply power to your video equipment.

Velcro'd the 1.3GHz vRx to the back of the monitor.
Packed the dolphin board and arduino frysky-mavlink converter (still isn't working) into the module bay.
Hot glued the HC-05 bluetooth module to one of the arms to separate it from the UHF gear.

Dec 07, 2016, 12:23 PM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post - it was late at night and I'd spent hours trying to get it working. I changed the baud rate to 57600 using at commands and changed the com port in Windows to 57600.

I'll fire up a hc05 today and see how I go with that. I was able to establish a connection with tower on my mobile but via windows I can't connect

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Gyrex, I wrote a post recently describing in detail how to setup both the hc-05 and hc-06 (both very different beasties!). Link here

Hope this helps I must say, the BT setup is definietly one of the more complex PITA processes to follow in relation to the entire ULRS setup, so good luck!
Dec 07, 2016, 12:30 PM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Hi JNJO,

I followed your document and I can't seem to get any telemetry displayed on my Taranis. I managed to get Mike's code working when I hooked it up to a D4R-II and an X8R but for some strange reason it's not working with the ULRS. Have you got any ideas mate? I've got a HC-05 hooked up in parallel and followed your attached document. When I go to discover new sensors, my Taranis just sits there doing nothing.

I can successfully connect to mission planner via bluetooth so there's definitely mavlink data coming through the radio link.
Gyrex - without a FrSky Rx (I.e. in this configuration where you have the microprocessor doing the Mavlink->smartPort conversion at the ground side feeding the Taranis directly)you need to have sensor polling enabled in the code running on the Arduino board - I am not sure how this configuration is implemented in Mike's code, but you might want to go looking for it to enable this feature. Once done your sensors should be discovered fine. I know this because I am presently the main dev on a similar project to Mikes, but mine runs on a Teensy board - details on mine here: https://github.com/Clooney82/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki
Dec 07, 2016, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesicin
Paulham, you can use SINA PROG to flash bootloader. Fuse FF DA FD (for Optiboot - bootloader). Bootloader you can get from Openlrsng GitHub (https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng, folder bootloaders, optiboot_atmega328.hex ). Check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnHBncTvkGo

Thank you for pointing me to the bootloader HEX in the openLRSng github.
I was unable to use SinaProg on my home laptop (tried VM win7 and win10) so i went back to AVRDUDESS and flashed the HEX.
The fuses are currently this... is it wrong?

Also its worth noting that I cannot flash this device as a ProMini, I need to select Arduino Uno. Is this normal?

Quick Reply