Nov 30, 2016, 02:44 AM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard_Nut
Now what would be Ideal would be the entire Teensy unit in a flush-mounted snap-in JR Module, and have the Teensy/Arduino programmed to craft the proper data for the FlightDeck LUA Script from the raw Mavlink. And at the same time be able to connect via BT for bi-directional control over Mavlink. CraftAndTheory's LUA Script is Copyrighted and heavy warnings come with it when you pay for it that says you cannot duplicate it for others to use. It also states that you cannot modify the LUA Script, but nowhere does it say that you cannot inject your own specially-crafted telemetry data variables into their LUA Script

This would, in my opinion, be the absolute ultimate combination at this point.

EDIT: Just checked the price of the LUA Script, it's not cheap, $24.99 USD for it, or add the converter cable for $10 more.... When I bought mine a couple months ago, I got the LUA and Cable for $24.99. So due to cost, this solution may not appeal to all, but for me the telemetry display was worth it...
the craft and theory stuff wont work with this, they are relying on the frsky data coming directly from the pixhawk so it wont work with ULRS.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2016, 03:02 AM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis
the craft and theory stuff wont work with this, they are relying on the frsky data coming directly from the pixhawk so it wont work with ULRS.
buzzkill

I assumed their converter cable was converting Mavlink from the Pixhawk to FrSky Telemetry format and crafting it with the proper S.Port protocol, but based on what your saying, their converter is taking FrSky Telemetry out from the recently added Pixhawk/Ardu FrSky Driver and simply formatting it into the appropriate S.Port protocol that a FrSky Rx expects....

EDIT: Geo, the following scenario would still work once Ben integrates S.Port handling into ULRS, correct? All I would have to do is connect the Pixhawk via the CraftAndTheory Cable to the Serial input on the ULRS Rx and then the CaT LUA Script would work over ULRS, right?

Quote:
I just saw under "To be planned:" the mention of FrSky S.Port Support... VERY COOL!

On one of my builds I currently use a Pixhawk with a Taranis and X8R and the CraftAndTheoryLLC S.Port converter (http://www.craftandtheoryllc.com/fli...try-smartport/) that converts Mavlink coming from the Pixhawk into a S.Port signal that is intended to be fed into a FrSky S.Port Rx to be fed back to the Tx. CraftAndTheory has a proprietary LUA script called FlightDeck that you install onto a Taranis/OpenTX Tx and then all Pixhawk telemetry data displays in realtime on the Tx's LCD.

So with your proposed new feature people with this similar setup could ditch 2.4 FrSky gear and finally have an elegant and streamlined graphical telemetry display from the Pixhawk to their Taranis/OpenTX compatible Tx over a robust UHF LRS link
Last edited by Snowboard_Nut; Nov 30, 2016 at 03:23 AM.
Nov 30, 2016, 04:06 AM
Thread OP
Yes, transmitter SPort OR Mavlink isn't an issue, it's combining both which is more tricky.
Nov 30, 2016, 04:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Ben has recently noted that this is a priority to him, as he said many people have asked for this, including myself
You're right it was missing in the list, I've added it in the 2.36
Nov 30, 2016, 04:45 AM
Ah, sorry. I was referring to 2.36 but did't see that ist already planed for 2.35 as PWM.
So just ignore my comment :-)
Nov 30, 2016, 04:54 AM
Just a quick update.

After a lot of stuffing around, I've finished my tx & rx modules.

The RX module is, 58mm long and 34mm wide.
Has pins for a buzzer which is run by a transistor at input voltage so will be good for a lost model becon if/when the feature is introduced. Also has pins for Osd, rssi, i2c & ppm.
It runs of a single lm317 at 5v. So not max distance, but didnt have the room for another voltage reg.
All the pins are on one side, so either vertical or right angle pins to suit your application.

My original tx module had problems, so i redesigned it and made it a little more cutdown to suit the majority of users.

The new tx fits perfectly inside an empty frsky module, and therefore fits nicely in the 9x/turnigy module bay.

The new tx has pins for failsafe button, pins for bluetooth module, pins to suit the telemetry mods a few seem to be doing (gnd, 5v, sport).
Also has a buzzer and i've switched to a 5v switching reg as the lm317 tend to get hot.

Everything is through hole and people of all skill levels can make these.

The main thing i wanted to get going is the TX module.
Everyone seems to have a version of the ULRS that suits an RX size application but makes it messy when you have to try and mount it on the back of your controller.

This solves that, a fully compatible JR module and rx to complete the package.

Pic attached.
Nov 30, 2016, 05:01 AM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Nice neo_04! Are you planning to sell it as a kit? If so, board only and we source the components? Too early to ask for a projected cost?
Nov 30, 2016, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Excellent ! I've also noticed that the LM317 or LM7805 get a little too hot if powered from a 4S battery. There's a switching regulator with +- the same size and pinout here.

I'll update the page with the different ULRS Mini modules to have one separate page per module with more detailed information.
Nov 30, 2016, 11:33 AM
Durability Tester
Luapilot script works with either smartport converters.
Nov 30, 2016, 12:54 PM
Arrière pays Niçois
Quote:
buzzkill
... Pixhawk via the CraftAndTheory Cable ...
Wdnt this scenario have the weakness of being dependent on CaT keeping up with all the various PixHawk firmwares? I'm using AC 3.3.3 at present for my "monocopters", all I see at the CaT Github is 3.4.1, not ready to use that one yet, and I don't see any ArduPlane fw's?
Nov 30, 2016, 01:10 PM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Now what would be Ideal would be the entire Teensy unit in a flush-mounted snap-in JR Module, and have the Teensy/Arduino programmed to craft the proper data for the FlightDeck LUA Script from the raw Mavlink. And at the same time be able to connect via BT for bi-directional control over Mavlink. CraftAndTheory's LUA Script is Copyrighted and heavy warnings come with it when you pay for it that says you cannot duplicate it for others to use. It also states that you cannot modify the LUA Script, but nowhere does it say that you cannot inject your own specially-crafted telemetry data variables into their LUA Script

This would, in my opinion, be the absolute ultimate combination at this point.
I have to agree! This would be the best solution. In fact why can't C&T come up with this solution? Let me explain what I mean:

The C&T telemetry product requires a specific custom version of ardupilot (compiled by the C&T guys after merging their 'enhancements'). This is because as far as I have read, the Ardupilot devs don't like the C&T telemetry implementation so won't merge it into AP master. It also requires the latest release of OpenTx I believe (as I think the new data format required for C&T to work is now implemented in OpenTx 2.1.9?)

There is discussion about the OpenTx implementation here (@floaledm in that conversation is the Craft & Theory guy).

The C&T process does not use smartPort sensors in the usual FrSky sense. The C&T version of Ardupilot packages up all its required mavlink telemetry data (messages)into a special newly developed smartport raw data sensor. The little device they sell (just a simple inverter) presents this data to the smartPort connection of the FrSky X series Rx and down at the Taranis the new OpenTx functionality allows this special raw sensor data to be accessed only by LUA scripting - most specifically the C&T LUA script mentioned in the post which I quote above - the one which presents their really cool telemetry screen!

Integrating this into ULRS should be possible, but I don't personally think its worth doing, given what you would have to forfeit. You see, due to the fact that the C&T process needs to start in Ardupilot itself, this means that the data leaving the Pixhawk telemetry port is not in Mavlink format, but instead in smartPort format.. So we would only be sending smartPort data over the ULRS data port, so no Mission Planner or CC will be possible on the ground over ULRS in this configuration.

So what can be done to improve on this? Well, to get the best of both worlds we really need a solution which starts with mavlink at ground level (which is what we do normally with ULRS), but then convert this mavlink data using a micro-processor board to generate the raw smartPort data feed which is whet the C&T lua telemetry script requires. And given that we would have mavlink on the ground also, we can still connect our favourite ground station software.

This suggested solution basically would do what the current DIY solution does (using its teensy board) but instead of generating emulated FrSky telemetry sensors, it would produce the raw sensor required by the C&T script.

I think that the guys at C&T could learn some things from the DIY solution suggested above to further their product. I mean if they produced their software to run on a teensy or even a pro mini board, then they would not require a custom Ardupilot firmware, and us ULRS users could take advantage of it for our ground station solutions.

edit - I have just made the suggestion in that github thread to the C&T devs.
Last edited by athertop; Nov 30, 2016 at 04:03 PM.
Nov 30, 2016, 03:09 PM
Flip - thanks heaps for sorting the beta time-allowance.

Last night it said 1 of 30 days left and this morning it says 2 of 30 days!

I managed to flash my TX/RX with the beta software OK and have telemetry kind of working.

I am still getting horrendous packet loss (and excessive beeping). The beeping happens even when I just power my RX - without the APM in the setup.

I've included a video on my OneDrive here - you should be able to view it which shows the beeping and the packet monitor on MP 1.3.37.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvTHzUn5_pQ5kj2yml5qSZNO8lc-

I suspect there could be an issue with my 1w TX unit.

Note - I have 2x 100mw RX units which I've tried and get the same result.

Not sure why, as I flew with it on Sunday with my glider on a very windy day without issues. Although I was using OpenLRSng firmware then.

I am probably going to buy 2x new Orange TX 1W units to hopefully get ULRS working.
Last edited by TomFlite; Nov 30, 2016 at 03:21 PM.
Nov 30, 2016, 03:27 PM
Here is another video of my issue with the same setup but the ULRS beta CC open instead of MP.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvTHzUn5_pQ5kjyuiU5tbsfp9IhE

For some reason the beeping stopped

Note the constant dropping of connection.
Nov 30, 2016, 04:04 PM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo__04
Just a quick update.

After a lot of stuffing around, I've finished my tx & rx modules.

The RX module is, 58mm long and 34mm wide.
Has pins for a buzzer which is run by a transistor at input voltage so will be good for a lost model becon if/when the feature is introduced. Also has pins for Osd, rssi, i2c & ppm.
It runs of a single lm317 at 5v. So not max distance, but didnt have the room for another voltage reg.
All the pins are on one side, so either vertical or right angle pins to suit your application.

My original tx module had problems, so i redesigned it and made it a little more cutdown to suit the majority of users.

The new tx fits perfectly inside an empty frsky module, and therefore fits nicely in the 9x/turnigy module bay.

The new tx has pins for failsafe button, pins for bluetooth module, pins to suit the telemetry mods a few seem to be doing (gnd, 5v, sport).
Also has a buzzer and i've switched to a 5v switching reg as the lm317 tend to get hot.

Everything is through hole and people of all skill levels can make these.

The main thing i wanted to get going is the TX module.
Everyone seems to have a version of the ULRS that suits an RX size application but makes it messy when you have to try and mount it on the back of your controller.

This solves that, a fully compatible JR module and rx to complete the package.

Pic attached.
That Tx solutions looks awesome - great work! Just wondering if it would be possible to fit that in a JR module case alongside a BT adapter and a teensy for sPort telemetry? I see you say that you have made provision for this in the board design, but would it physically fit in a jr module?
Nov 30, 2016, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlite
Here is another video of my issue with the same setup but the ULRS beta CC open instead of MP.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvTHzUn5_pQ5kjyuiU5tbsfp9IhE

For some reason the beeping stopped

Note the constant dropping of connection.
Yes something is wrong there, can you try with only one channel ?

Quick Reply