Thread Tools
Nov 12, 2016, 02:43 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
I don't understand exactly what you want to do ?

Yes it's possible to connect an openlog : you can connect it either on the GPS, or on the APM mavlink output in the plane, or on the ULRS receiver.

If you want to display telemetry on your Taranis, it's described here, but doesn't require openlog to do it :

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti...on-taranis-01/
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2016, 03:26 AM
Registered User
flipflap, have you tried getting mavlink telemetry on taranis yourself?
I have really hit a brick wall here, followed all the instructions precisely and also just tried the separate arduino poller solution, non of them work for me. "No Data" each time.
Could this possibly be, because I'm using Wolfbox Tx? It's using different baudrate to flash Ulrs firmware on it.

P.S. Measured the voltage on the D5 pin, it's changing from 3.7 to 3.9 volts. Does that sound about right?
If arduino spits out the telemetry, why can't Taranis digest it then?
Last edited by rank; Nov 12, 2016 at 03:50 AM.
Nov 12, 2016, 06:14 AM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
flipflap, have you tried getting mavlink telemetry on taranis yourself?
I have really hit a brick wall here, followed all the instructions precisely and also just tried the separate arduino poller solution, non of them work for me. "No Data" each time.
Could this possibly be, because I'm using Wolfbox Tx? It's using different baudrate to flash Ulrs firmware on it.

P.S. Measured the voltage on the D5 pin, it's changing from 3.7 to 3.9 volts. Does that sound about right?
If arduino spits out the telemetry, why can't Taranis digest it then?
what firmware do you have on your taranis? I am still using 2 boards to get telemetry, I don't get anything with a single 328 board, the only difference I can see is he is on 2.1.8 and I am on 2.1.6 but i have not tried upgrading yet.
Last edited by geofrancis; Nov 12, 2016 at 06:21 AM.
Nov 12, 2016, 06:37 AM
Registered User
joel0407's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
I don't understand exactly what you want to do ?

Yes it's possible to connect an openlog : you can connect it either on the GPS, or on the APM mavlink output in the plane, or on the ULRS receiver.

If you want to display telemetry on your Taranis, it's described here, but doesn't require openlog to do it :

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti...on-taranis-01/
Yeh, Sorry to be confusing. I was just using the openlog as an example that the data out of the GPS is pretty simple but I think you have answered my question in saying I can connect the openlog to the ULRS receiver.

I'm getting the ULRS doesn't care what the serial data is. Whether it be a GPS or whatever. So I can connect the GPS Tx, Rx, and ground directly to the OrangeRx 100mw Rx, Tx, and ground and receive the exact same serial output from the ULRS receiver that's attached to my Tarains.

I just have to search somewhere else now to see how I can feed raw GPS data to my Taranis.

Happy Days.
Nov 12, 2016, 07:40 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
JNJO's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Anyone got this working?
Still getting "No Data"

Discover new sensors just runs forever.
I checked all the connections, all looks good.

Here's a photo of my setup.
The Tx pin of the Arduino is drilled out after the firmware upload, for my own convenience.
Bluetooth connected in-paralel to arduino works fine.
That should work, but I can't see what oscillator is on the arduino.
Are you 100% sure it's a 16MHz?
That is needed to get the arduino to use 115kbaud on the link to ULRS.

When it works the list of sensors in OpenTX is filled almost immediately.
Nov 12, 2016, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407
Yeh, Sorry to be confusing. I was just using the openlog as an example that the data out of the GPS is pretty simple but I think you have answered my question in saying I can connect the openlog to the ULRS receiver.

I'm getting the ULRS doesn't care what the serial data is. Whether it be a GPS or whatever. So I can connect the GPS Tx, Rx, and ground directly to the OrangeRx 100mw Rx, Tx, and ground and receive the exact same serial output from the ULRS receiver that's attached to my Tarains.

I just have to search somewhere else now to see how I can feed raw GPS data to my Taranis.

Happy Days.
You're the first user to try to connect directly a GPS without a flight controller, did you consider using a cheap flight controller ? It would convert the GPS into mavlink and do much more.
Nov 12, 2016, 12:29 PM
Rana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd72002
I thought of sharing, maybe it will inspire someone

I've been flying for some time already but never got my head around buying proper transmitter, battery, etc etc. So I came up with my own solution to it which works perfectly. It's simply a bluetooth capable Raspberry Pi with OrangeRX. So I connect my PC ground station wirelessly to it for telemetry. Same with PS3 controller - the RPi+Teensy wirelessly converts joystick into PPM signal.


Thanks Ben for the work!
Wow, its amazing work !
I want to test same way, I have everything (Pi2b, same bluetooth joystick, Teensy 3), pls post some write-up to do that.
Last edited by narpat007; Nov 12, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
Nov 12, 2016, 12:45 PM
Rana
Hey Ben, you did not fulfill your promise to me regarding my power mod. I am not sure if you are aware about my latest power mod in which I kept powering the ATMega328 at same 3.3V but just isolated the drain of the RF power mosfet and powered it at 6-10V, with power output ranging from 1000mW to 2000mW.
Last edited by narpat007; Nov 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM.
Nov 12, 2016, 12:47 PM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
flipflap, have you tried getting mavlink telemetry on taranis yourself?
I have really hit a brick wall here, followed all the instructions precisely and also just tried the separate arduino poller solution, non of them work for me. "No Data" each time.
Could this possibly be, because I'm using Wolfbox Tx? It's using different baudrate to flash Ulrs firmware on it.

P.S. Measured the voltage on the D5 pin, it's changing from 3.7 to 3.9 volts. Does that sound about right?
If arduino spits out the telemetry, why can't Taranis digest it then?
I run the teensy solution personally and it works a treat. In order to have it working when connecting directly within the taranis, you do need to have the s.port polling version arduino sketch/hex loaded up. Not sure how this is implemented in the Pro mini solution though, but maybe worth looking in this direction to see if that's what is missing in your case. Without the code running polling, it will not see any sensors - sounds like what you described.

Another area to look at - is to see if you have mavlink reaching the UKRS Tx - did I read somewhere that you bluetooth working? If so then please ignore this suggestion, but if you don't have mavlink reaching the Tx, then worth checking the SRn_ values on the Pixhawk/APM to make sure mavlink stream rates are configured.
Nov 12, 2016, 04:01 PM
Registered User
dkemxr's Avatar
I gave the Pro Mini a shot also with the same result. No sensors discovered. I do not know which board version it is, some cheapo from China I had around from another project. We can get Teensy's here fairly cheap, I'll give that a go. I use them now for the same purpose with Frsky Rx's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO
That should work, but I can't see what oscillator is on the arduino.
Are you 100% sure it's a 16MHz?
That is needed to get the arduino to use 115kbaud on the link to ULRS.

When it works the list of sensors in OpenTX is filled almost immediately.
Nov 12, 2016, 04:28 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by narpat007
Wow, its amazing work !
I want to test same way, I have everything (Pi2b, same bluetooth joystick, Teensy 3), pls post some write-up to do that.
I've put together a quick manual: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Let me know if something is unclear or does not work.
Nov 12, 2016, 07:05 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO
That should work, but I can't see what oscillator is on the arduino.
Are you 100% sure it's a 16MHz?
That is needed to get the arduino to use 115kbaud on the link to ULRS.

When it works the list of sensors in OpenTX is filled almost immediately.
Can't see what oscillator it's using, the letters are washed out, but it was definitely advertised as 16mhz 5v.
I have a lot of them and used them previously in different 16mhz 5v projects with no issues.

Can I actually run the code on Arduino nano? Can be 100% sure, it's 16mhz.


Quote:
Originally Posted by athertop
In order to have it working when connecting directly within the taranis, you do need to have the s.port polling version arduino sketch/hex loaded up. Not sure how this is implemented in the Pro mini solution though, but maybe worth looking in this direction to see if that's what is missing in your case. Without the code running polling, it will not see any sensors - sounds like what you described.

Another area to look at - is to see if you have mavlink reaching the UKRS Tx - did I read somewhere that you bluetooth working? If so then please ignore this suggestion, but if you don't have mavlink reaching the Tx, then worth checking the SRn_ values on the Pixhawk/APM to make sure mavlink stream rates are configured.
Yeah, bluetooth is working, but not exactly fast. Have a link quality of arond 50% now. It used to be over 90%, but since lately, it's gone down for no reason.
For 2 arduino version, I put polling/no polling codes on them, posted here on the forum a while ago.
Nov 13, 2016, 12:29 AM
Registered User

If you need a tester just let me know


Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
I've got several boards to test, but that one requires some software changes so it will take more time.
If you need a tester just let me know
Nov 13, 2016, 01:17 AM
Rana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd72002
I've put together a quick manual: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Let me know if something is unclear or does not work.
Thanks, I am going through it and would proceed
Nov 13, 2016, 03:44 AM
Registered User
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 04:48 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools