Sep 27, 2016, 12:46 PM
***delete
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2016, 01:01 PM
I need some basic training in optimizing the tx/rx connection. It seems my connection strength has weekend again. I'll check all of the obvious issues (ie, broken antenna, bad connector, etc), but also need to now the best method in tuning the system with the cc program.

How to pick the best channels, how many channels to pick, how to eliminate the occasional drop out beep beep? Can the RX and TX channels be changed without connecting separately to each unit?

I'm using bluetooth and mission planner if that helps the proccess.
Sep 27, 2016, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
First I'd say that results with bluetooth aren't always good : for some users the range seems to be affected. It's maybe not related, but it's something to check. Notice that an USB OTG cable can be used to connect to Tower via an FTDI adapter.

Then for the channels pick 4 of them, you can check that they aren't precisely on a noisy / occupied channel on the spectrum analyzer.

Ideally you'd choose the channels in function of your antenna resonnant frequency, but this should be determined with another equipment.

For now you'll have to connect separately the RX and TX. I'll include a way to program only one of them and send the config to the other module, but want to do it in a secure way.

Antennas are the first thing to do right, forget monopole antennas, and if going for a real ground station consider using an antenna on a tripod. Of course it depends on the distance you want to go.
Sep 27, 2016, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Hey, we crossed the 500th page !
Sep 27, 2016, 03:49 PM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Anybody know what size heat shrink will cover the Wolfbox Rx for sure? I'm horrible at ordering the stuff it's always either way too big or just a tad too small....
Sep 27, 2016, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
OK guys, I've made a separate thread for the analog cockpit (not the virtual cockpit), that I'll call the Ultimate Flight Instruments (sounds good ?) :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post35826138

Feel free to check it to see the description and first photos.

That's exactly the kind of project I like to do because it was like if someone had to do it : it was floating in the air, waiting for someone to drag and drop the idea into the real world
Sep 27, 2016, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tips. still have a few questions

when evaluating the spectrum analyzer in the ulrs control center, what indicates a noisy channel (the spike?) if so does that mean I want to stay away from that frequency?

Is there inexpensive equipment and or easy procedures that can help tune antennas?
Sep 27, 2016, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Yes, that's the idea. Now it can also be noise generated by the board itself, by a power supply or such. If you're trying with a dummy load connected and still see a peak then it's a channel to avoid.

To tune antenna an antenna analyzer is the best option, but I'll let other users recommend according to their experience. (I'm using a spectrum analyzer with tracking generator, but that's not the best option just for tuning an antenna).

I'll probably include a tuning mode in ULRS CC, we've got everything required : an RX, a TX, and it can transmit on a large frequency band.
Sep 27, 2016, 06:38 PM
Durability Tester
good news for anyone with a taranis and using mavlink!

mike has added polling to his arduino mavlink-frsky adapter so no need for a second board just for polling!

now you can keep all your taranis voice alerts and use openlrs/ULRS/3dr telemetry

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewto...0e41&start=420
Last edited by geofrancis; Sep 27, 2016 at 06:44 PM.
Sep 27, 2016, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis
good news for anyone with a taranis and using mavlink!

mike has added polling to his arduino mavlink-frsky adapter so no need for a second board just for polling!

now you can keep all your taranis voice alerts and use openlrs/ULRS/3dr telemetry

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewto...0e41&start=420
Great work. I read the exchange you had with Mike. I am unfamiliar with his github repo. Can you post a link. This is actually a pretty big deal for many, especially when combined with ULRS.
Sep 27, 2016, 07:18 PM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Great work. I read the exchange you had with Mike. I am unfamiliar with his github repo. Can you post a link. This is actually a pretty big deal for many, especially when combined with ULRS.

I know, I have been using mavlink over openlrs for 3 years now and this is like the holy grail!

I have attached a compiled hex file.

flash to atmega 328 pro mini
mavlink to tx rx
D5 to S.port on taranis
D2 to ground to enable S.port output.
D6 to ground to enable S.port polling

https://github.com/MikeBland/APM_Mavlink_to_FrSky
Last edited by geofrancis; Sep 27, 2016 at 07:54 PM.
Sep 27, 2016, 07:35 PM
Can this be used somehow, when Bluetooth module is connected to Taranis?
Sep 27, 2016, 07:44 PM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Can this be used somehow, when Bluetooth module is connected to Taranis?
what do you mean?
Sep 27, 2016, 07:45 PM
Full-Blown RC Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis
I know, I have been using mavlink over openlrs for 3 years now and this is like the holy grail!

I have attached a compiled hex file.

flash to atmega 328 pro mini
mavlink to tx rx
D5 to S.port on taranis
D2 to ground for S.port

D6 to ground to enable S.port polling

https://github.com/MikeBland/APM_Mavlink_to_FrSky
When you say "S.port on taranis", are you referring to the serial port in the battery compartment? I'm not familiar with Taranis having a S.port connection
Sep 27, 2016, 07:49 PM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard_Nut
When you say "S.port on taranis", are you referring to the serial port in the battery compartment? I'm not familiar with Taranis having a S.port connection
bottom pin in the module bay.

and it should say
D2 to ground to enable S.port output.

Quick Reply