Nov 23, 2014, 10:38 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by idefixsin
:-) Finally got my URLS all setup and working.

- 1W JR TX - inverted signal mod - in the Taranis Plus with a HC-06 BT module
- 1W Futaba RX on the Quad
- Telemetry works, RSSI is displayed in the OSD
- Antenna tracker connects to the Taranis via BT (HC-05 in the Antenna tracker in Master mode plus an additional HC-06 in slave mode to connect a phone/tablet).

Following 2 items are work in progress and I would love to hear your comments:

- Taranis Plus Mavlink integration: I believe there is no FW available for the Taranis plus yet with Mavlink extension. Or does anyone know of one?

- Missing channels on the Quad: I'm using CH5 for the flight modes, CH6 to switch the Video from flight cam to Mobius, CH7 for RTH, CH8 for Gimbal Tilt. With this I'm at the end of the possibilities with the URLS setup currently. I would need 4 additional channels: OSD Panel switch, Gimbal Pan, Gimbal Yaw, Gimbal mode select.
Aside from an external PPM decoder, any other options of getting this to work with the Pixhawk? I assume SBUS would be required on the URLS RX side in order for the 9-16CH pass through to work?

Thanks !
Not quite following....
Is the BT in the Taranis used to connect to a laptop and MP or is that BT used to connect to the Antenna tracker? Do you have two HC06 connected to the HC05 master?

Cheers
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2014, 10:49 AM
Quote:
:-) Finally got my URLS all setup and working.

- 1W JR TX - inverted signal mod - in the Taranis Plus with a HC-06 BT module
- 1W Futaba RX on the Quad
- Telemetry works, RSSI is displayed in the OSD
- Antenna tracker connects to the Taranis via BT (HC-05 in the Antenna tracker in Master mode plus an additional HC-06 in slave mode to connect a phone/tablet).

Following 2 items are work in progress and I would love to hear your comments:

- Taranis Plus Mavlink integration: I believe there is no FW available for the Taranis plus yet with Mavlink extension. Or does anyone know of one?

- Missing channels on the Quad: I'm using CH5 for the flight modes, CH6 to switch the Video from flight cam to Mobius, CH7 for RTH, CH8 for Gimbal Tilt. With this I'm at the end of the possibilities with the URLS setup currently. I would need 4 additional channels: OSD Panel switch, Gimbal Pan, Gimbal Yaw, Gimbal mode select.
Aside from an external PPM decoder, any other options of getting this to work with the Pixhawk? I assume SBUS would be required on the URLS RX side in order for the 9-16CH pass through to work?

Thanks !
I have modified the opentx code to display mavlink on Taranis, see here: http://diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=7...Post%3A1805145

It works well with gitsly Openlrs ng firmware and can accept 115200 baud rate so should work with flipflap's firmware.

I'm not sure how Taranis Plus differs, but if it needs different firmware I can try to compile with the correct settings.

Cheers,
Sam
Last edited by chench; Nov 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:03 AM
FPV, RC and more........
Hi Sam, yes the Taranis FW is different from the Taranis plus (accidentally installed the taranis fw first and the radio will not boot up).
Could you post the sources you used (before and after)? I could possibly do it myself following your example.

Mike,
The Taranis has a HC-06 (slave) so i can connect from any BT device. The antenna tracker has a HC-05 in master mode which will connect to the Taranis.
Now in order to use a tablet at the same time (only one connection to taranis possible at the same time), i have installed a HC-06 in slave mode in the tracker as well. It goes like this:Tablet -> tracker hc06 -> tracker hc05 -> taranis hc06 -> urls to the drone pixhawk via 433Mhz
Nov 24, 2014, 11:58 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Hi Sam, yes the Taranis FW is different from the Taranis plus (accidentally installed the taranis fw first and the radio will not boot up).
Could you post the sources you used (before and after)? I could possibly do it myself following your example.

Mike,
The Taranis has a HC-06 (slave) so i can connect from any BT device. The antenna tracker has a HC-05 in master mode which will connect to the Taranis.
Now in order to use a tablet at the same time (only one connection to taranis possible at the same time), i have installed a HC-06 in slave mode in the tracker as well. It goes like this:Tablet -> tracker hc06 -> tracker hc05 -> taranis hc06 -> urls to the drone pixhawk via 433Mhz
OK so in the tracker you have the single serial connection driving two BT, the HC-06 and an HC-05. So the mavlink data comes out of the Taranis to it's HC06 paired to the tracker which acts like a serial relay using the data for itself and then sending it on to the tablet via another HC-06. So the HC-05 on the tracker is the master but the taranis and the tablet are not connected to the same BT, the serial output of the HC-05 on the tracker drives the tracker serial-in and the HC-06 BT to the tablet out?
Nov 24, 2014, 12:58 PM
Quote:
The source is here : https://github.com/samuelctabor/opentx
I compile it with make PCB=TARANIS HELI=YES LUA=YES EXT=FRSKY-MAVLINK
Nov 24, 2014, 10:54 PM
FPV, RC and more........
Thanks Sam. I will give it a try on the weekend.

Mike, correct. The tracker is basically listening only to the HC-05 serial out. The tracker HC-05 and HC-06 serial in and out are crossed.
See the (crude) diagram attached.
Last edited by IdefixRC; Nov 25, 2014 at 06:20 AM.
Nov 25, 2014, 05:26 AM
FPV, RC and more........
In case someone has access to a 3D printer, here is a great backplate for the JR module which solves the antenna position problem with the original OrangeRX module and also incorporates a slot to mount a BT module.

All types come in 2 versions, one with serial pins covered and one with serial pins exposed.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:540641

Nov 25, 2014, 09:58 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
In case someone has access to a 3D printer, here is a great backplate for the JR module which solves the antenna position problem with the original OrangeRX module and also incorporates a slot to mount a BT module.

All types come in 2 versions, one with serial pins covered and one with serial pins exposed.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:540641

Thanks idefixsin, got it now. I have been wanting to capture the mavlink stream at the GSC and inject to an OSD on the ground rather than on the aircraft.

That module case is nice because with that antenna the non-radiating base is also braced by the handle.

I have been thinking it would be nice to figure out how to connect the taranis module ppm to blue tooth so I could locate the trasmitt module itself on a larger gain antenna without needing a coaxial cable running back to the Taranis. I guess I could run the 100mw unit to the 100mw receiver on the antenna to feed the 1w unit at the antenna!
Nov 25, 2014, 12:42 PM
Nice to see a variation on my OpenLRS module cover, did you create the remix, idefixsin?
Nov 25, 2014, 04:24 PM

Taranis+

Quote:
Thanks Sam. I will give it a try on the weekend.

Mike, correct. The tracker is basically listening only to the HC-05 serial out. The tracker HC-05 and HC-06 serial in and out are crossed.
See the (crude) diagram attached.
I have pushed the original code to https://github.com/samuelctabor/opentx/tree/master/
I have also compiled with
make PCB=TARANIS HELI=YES LUA=YES EXT=FRSKY-MAVLINK PCBREV=REVPLUS, I believe is the flag for Taranis+. It is in my Google drive folder , let me know if this works.
Cheers,
Sam
Nov 25, 2014, 05:54 PM
Just call me Justin.
I'm assuming this code will display mavlink on the taranis?
Nov 25, 2014, 06:07 PM
Taranis APM/Pixhawk Mavlink Telemetry (5 min 2 sec)

how may channels would i get with this OrangeRX system? that youtube link is one converter to convert telemetry from Pix or APM, going throw the X8R to the Taranis without modifications. im thinking of buying. 16 channels from X8R + all telemetry on Taranis. i would still use this OrangeRX telemetry to display information to PC also
Nov 25, 2014, 10:49 PM
FPV, RC and more........
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0bro
Nice to see a variation on my OpenLRS module cover, did you create the remix, idefixsin?
Yes I remixed it. Works great 😁
Thanks for the design.
Nov 27, 2014, 06:10 AM

Fail Safe option in firmware

Hi Flipflap,
First of all i want to thank you for this awsome firmware and MOD!
I haven't test it in the field yet, but it looks very promising!
I got rid of the 900mhz telemetry radios, and I'm hoping to get a much better range with your amazing setup.

There is one problem though... I've read what you said about being able to change the failsafe in the air with your current setup, but for me it just messes up everything.

If I "record" a failsafe using the button on the Tx, then when I turn off my Tx it sometimes disarm my motors in the air (checked it virtually using mission planner) and also I have an Opale rescue parachute on my quadcopter, and I want to be able to use it through the "real" failsafe options on the APM.

I want the APM to know when there is a real fail safe and then the APM will try to RTL, if no GPS FIX it will try to Land and if there is a motor fail or something extreme it will launch the Parachute (when loosing altitude too fast) - in order to do so I need the Rx to send very low PWM signals on the Throttle channel, lower than the minimum possible output when the receiver is on.

Could you please publish another firmware with that option?
Or at least tell me what do I have to do to make it myself?
(on the OpenLRSng I can change it myself using a config tool)

Sorry for the long post...

Thanks a lot!!!
Ori

P.S. - In the attached photo there is an official warning by 3DRobotics for people who use an Rx failsafe instead of APM failsafe, that it might disarm the motors in the air!!! and that what happens to me...
Last edited by Darko32; Nov 27, 2014 at 06:19 AM.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:59 AM
Thread OP
Hi Darko,

I take note of your feature request.

One way to achieve this for the moment is to record (by pressing the TX button) the failsafe values when the throttle is at an abnormally low value.

For example on my RC controller it's possible to get down to a < 0.95 ms throttle value by playing on the throttle trim and minimum boundary. The ULRS will record the failsafe values you send to it, even if outside of 1-2 ms. And then you come back to a normal throttle setting.

In this way the APM will see a very low value on throttle channel only when there's a real failsafe.

Quick Reply