Aug 31, 2016, 06:22 AM
SWR meter

I can get my hands on one!!

The guy next door has one he can let me use he's a Radio HAM (retired) says it'll do 433 and above.

I also have a pair of boefeng radios for the boating I do so I can do as goastwhisper and use it as a power source for testing.

so just waiting for a couple of resistors before I can finish this stage
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2016, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldwing
So youve had good results with the Cerial_Killer board (AKA butterfly board)?

see the post at the top of this page I just compleated a pair (almost) and was a bit bothered to see someone saying the PCB is a faulty design
Mine worked, not flown yet.
IŽll do a range test and maybe fly if the weather is fine.
I power mine with 3S on the 7-12v gnd ppm connector.
Aug 31, 2016, 07:42 AM

Dirty TX

I finally got time to build a TX Board based on the ULRS Mini schematic. It has a 2A synchronous buck to power the RF, a 5V / 1A LDO and an external EEPROM ic. My idea was to add a stackable AUX board which is easily replaceable. The Aux board has an ESP8266, the LEDs and button and the FTDI pinout. But the board can easily be changed to add Bluetooth or USB...

The TX is working like a charm and I finally got to test my ULRS Mini RX. The only problem that I noticed is, that if I attach my homemade Sander Style Whip antenna my Taranis starts vibrating wildly and the speaker is hissing. When i attach a Dipole (not matched at all) i get no interferance at all from the Radio. So i assume it is only due to a badly matched antenna and not PCB design!

I attached the schematic of the TX. I got a few questions, wheather the connections are correct:
1. I connected the Buzzer through a NPN Transistor to D8.
2. Button is connected to D10 and a pullup R. (What is the Button used for? do we need it?)

I was unable to test the Wifi on the AUX board, because my ESP module is somehow broken. Still have to change the dimensions of the Aux board to get everthing fit into a case. I am using one of these:
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-dj...er-module-case

I have also attached the eagle files of my RX board. I changed the 5V LDO to a LM317, which is untested. Furthermore i added a solder jumper to change the voltage on the raw pin of the Arduino from the input voltage (default) to the 6V from the UBEC (untetsted as well).
Aug 31, 2016, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggibomb
IThe only problem that I noticed is, that if I attach my homemade Sander Style Whip antenna my Taranis starts vibrating wildly and the speaker is hissing.
Sander style needs a big metal groundplane.
Its an Recieving only antenna and not suitable for transmitting.
Aug 31, 2016, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwhiper
At the moment I am using a diamond sx1000 with my baofeng uv5r as a power source (at 5 watts)
http://www.diamondantenna.net/sx1000.html

Its a nice one because it also works for the 1.3gh band so its also easy to check Video TX/RX antenna's

Must say that you can't use the ulrs modules with a swr meter unless flipflap builds in a special feature for it to put it in TX only.
That's why I am using a normal radio for it.
I have a pair of the Baofeng radios that I picked up for calling tBeacon GPS tracker. I searched Diamond DX-1000, and it appears discontinued, at least from one source, and apparently replaced by the more expensive DX-1100. Thoughts?

Kelly
Aug 31, 2016, 08:02 AM
If anyone in the NorCal area wants to co-own a SX-1100, PM me. Nice toy, but not sure I would need it very often once dialed in for 433 and 1.3G.

Kelly
Aug 31, 2016, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Sander style needs a big metal groundplane.
Its an Recieving only antenna and not suitable for transmitting.
Thanks. Good to know, so I won't be using it anymore!
Aug 31, 2016, 08:10 AM
Those diamond swr meters are the best you can have.
Sure there are cheaper alternatives but there are almost no other swr meters that can be used from 0mhz up to 1.3ghz.
Aug 31, 2016, 08:25 AM
Thanks. I'll pick one up. NorCal co-owners welcome.

Kelly
Aug 31, 2016, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkf94025
I have a pair of the Baofeng radios that I picked up for calling tBeacon GPS tracker. I searched Diamond DX-1000, and it appears discontinued, at least from one source, and apparently replaced by the more expensive DX-1100. Thoughts?

Kelly
Look on ebay -- used sx1000 for $120 or so.
Aug 31, 2016, 08:30 AM
No returns, no power supply, on the only one that came up on my ebay search.

Kelly
Aug 31, 2016, 08:40 AM
Just pulled the trigger on a new SX1100 for $199 on hamradio.com.
My brother jokes that my addiction warrants an intervention.
My wife is not laughing, but I notice the pace of shoe orders to our home is increasing.
I only hope she is as happy with new shoes as I am with my new gear.

Kelly
Aug 31, 2016, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkf94025
Just pulled the trigger on a new SX1100 for $199 on hamradio.com.
My brother jokes that my addiction warrants an intervention.
My wife is not laughing, but I notice the pace of shoe orders to our home is increasing.
I only hope she is as happy with new shoes as I am with my new gear.

Kelly
We have all been there. Most of us still are there.
Aug 31, 2016, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Make one out of thin coax, works like a charm.
http://www.n-lemma.com/calcs/dipole/balun.htm
Please a photo of one! If possible...l
Aug 31, 2016, 11:10 AM
That looks great. The link for the box show out of stock did you buy it from the link you posted ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggibomb
I finally got time to build a TX Board based on the ULRS Mini schematic. It has a 2A synchronous buck to power the RF, a 5V / 1A LDO and an external EEPROM ic. My idea was to add a stackable AUX board which is easily replaceable. The Aux board has an ESP8266, the LEDs and button and the FTDI pinout. But the board can easily be changed to add Bluetooth or USB...

The TX is working like a charm and I finally got to test my ULRS Mini RX. The only problem that I noticed is, that if I attach my homemade Sander Style Whip antenna my Taranis starts vibrating wildly and the speaker is hissing. When i attach a Dipole (not matched at all) i get no interferance at all from the Radio. So i assume it is only due to a badly matched antenna and not PCB design!

I attached the schematic of the TX. I got a few questions, wheather the connections are correct:
1. I connected the Buzzer through a NPN Transistor to D8.
2. Button is connected to D10 and a pullup R. (What is the Button used for? do we need it?)

I was unable to test the Wifi on the AUX board, because my ESP module is somehow broken. Still have to change the dimensions of the Aux board to get everthing fit into a case. I am using one of these:
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-dj...er-module-case

I have also attached the eagle files of my RX board. I changed the 5V LDO to a LM317, which is untested. Furthermore i added a solder jumper to change the voltage on the raw pin of the Arduino from the input voltage (default) to the 6V from the UBEC (untetsted as well).

Quick Reply