Mar 22, 2014, 01:18 AM
Still can't get this to work - despite following the instructions as closely as I can.

I fully understand Flipflaps view that this is unsupported and this sort of support can be a huge investment, so would just like to know if anyone else has got this working, or is also having problems, or is it just me (quite possible).

My symptoms are when applying power to both RX and TX, they just beep constantly and rapidly, no connection being made.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2014, 03:27 AM
Thread OP
Hi Nic,

Of course I’ll help as much as I can at least to ensure that several other people can use it (but I don’t plan to support other hardware types for example).

The signification of LEDs is different from original code. As long as you don’t hear the buzzer, it’s connected.

Here's the meaning of the LEDs (it will be more intuitive in a next version) :

I’ve added photos of the setup, be sure to connect the CH2 & 3 together on the APM.

Notice also that the USB cable has to be disconnected from the APM when using telemetry.

Last edited by flipflap; Mar 22, 2014 at 03:54 AM.
Mar 22, 2014, 05:09 AM
Hi Flipflap

Both my RX and TX are behaving the same way - blue led flashing, beeping twice a second.
You might even think I've uploaded the TX firmware to the RX, but no - I checked and double checked.

Incidently, it seems that arducopter doesn't have SERIAL3_BAUD, only SERIAL1_BAUD.

I assume you running arduplane? So I could load that firmware onto the APM, but frankly I don't think the serial connection to APM should interfere with radio connection between TX and RX. Or am I wrong?
Mar 22, 2014, 05:53 AM
Thank you for clarifying the picture. So it is still the rx it is just the top and bottom view. I thought you were programming both at the same time. This will be perfect.
Mar 22, 2014, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
Yes it's the same "TX as RX" module seen from top and from bottom. (Notice that the programming is not done through APM, but with a separate FTDI adapter.)
Mar 22, 2014, 06:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnet View Post
Hi Flipflap

Both my RX and TX are behaving the same way - blue led flashing, beeping twice a second.
You might even think I've uploaded the TX firmware to the RX, but no - I checked and double checked.

Incidently, it seems that arducopter doesn't have SERIAL3_BAUD, only SERIAL1_BAUD.

I assume you running arduplane? So I could load that firmware onto the APM, but frankly I don't think the serial connection to APM should interfere with radio connection between TX and RX. Or am I wrong?
Before trying it with APM, let's try to isolate to find what happens. If you just connect the TX part, without RX, it should light the blue LED and activate the buzzer (continuously).

Two things to investigate :
1) Is the power supply sufficient
2) I wonder if the programming went correctly, can you post a screenshot after programming ?
Mar 22, 2014, 07:29 AM
Hi - here is the screenshot.

Immediately after programming it starts to beep twice a second.
Also with other power supplies.
Mar 22, 2014, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
OK, my mistake, I did upload a wrong version (for 100 mW TX), it should be OK with this.
Last edited by flipflap; Mar 23, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
Mar 22, 2014, 01:13 PM
All ok now - many thanks Flipflap. Working perfectly now.
Please- consider my feature request, of rssi out on one of the RX pins, so I can feed it into APM.

Will try some range testing in the next few days.

Thanks again!
Mar 22, 2014, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Here's the RSSI pin :

Last edited by flipflap; Mar 23, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
Mar 23, 2014, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
Here's the RSSI pin :
Hi

I'm getting a voltage off that pin of between 0.015v (no link) and 0.200v (good link).
Is that correct?

Is it true analog rssi, or does it need capacitor/resistor filter like in openlrsng (I assume so).

thanks!
Mar 23, 2014, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Hi,

The RSSI is between 0 and 3.3V, but for very strong RSSI the display was "looping" to a low value, this is now solved. (new release here and as usual instructions here).

You don't need a filter with resistor and capacitor, I'm simply using an analog 100ľA meter with a 33 kilo ohms resistor. (33000 ohms = 3.3 V / 0.0001 A)

Just to be clear for other readers, the RSSI analog output is on the TX.
Mar 24, 2014, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
Just to be clear for other readers, the RSSI analog output is on the TX.
Ah ok - this is part of the problem then.
I'm looking for RX RSSI, that I can feed into APM (on analogue pin 0). Any chance of this?

thanks!
Mar 24, 2014, 04:24 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnet View Post
Ah ok - this is part of the problem then.
I'm looking for RX RSSI, that I can feed into APM (on analogue pin 0). Any chance of this?

thanks!
Yes it can be done, I got it working yesterday.....

I followed this guide to build the cable http://www.ilovetoflyfpv.com/resourc...2.1_-_rssi.pdf

When configuring in Openlrs chrome configurator force rssi on a port and set it to frsky rssi.

Then in mission planner goto advanced settings and change your rssi channel (I use A08) and change rssi voltage to 3.3v.

Then configure your minimosd after that so it displays accurate readings on the OSD.

https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/wiki/RSSI

*Note to get the OSD reading from the mavlink I soldered a 3 pin header on UART0 (GRD, VCC and TX) instead of using the Y-Cable from the telemetry port. Could not get any values in the OSD until I did this. Something to watch out for.
Mar 24, 2014, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post
Yes it can be done, I got it working yesterday.....
When configuring in Openlrs chrome configurator force rssi on a port and set it to frsky rssi.

Hi Amfarmora

The chrome configurator you refer to is for openlrsng (created by Kha), not openlrs (created by Flytron).

This particular thread you've replied to is about a custom version of openlrs created by flipflap, optmized for use with long distance mavlink telemetry.

You are almost correct, openlrsng has easy setup for rx rssi into APM.
However, flipflap's version of openlrs doesn't (yet) (as far as I can see).

Quick Reply