Jun 11, 2016, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54
what do you mean by ground unit
do you mean Telem port of the pixhawk ?
I just plugged the minimosd module into the serial port on my orangerx tx module (the one plugged into my rc transmitter). Since the ULRS creates a transparent serial link the minimosd functions the same as if it were plugged into the pixhawk. Then wire the Vrx output to the minimosd and then minimosd to lcd screen. Works the same if the minimosd was on the plane but the minimosd telemetry becomes independant of the video feed i.e. if video drops out you can still view telemetry.

A bit unconventional but ULRS makes this setup possible
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2016, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorth4
So the Tx line from the serial port on the ground unit goes to the RX line on the miniosd and the RX line on the ground unit is not require..... Correct?
Check the ardupilot site and flipflaps site or read this topic.
All the awnsers are there....

Last couple of pages i have been tempted to say: RTFM
Jun 11, 2016, 09:09 AM
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 05:47 AM.
Jun 11, 2016, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007trains
I just plugged the minimosd module into the serial port on my orangerx tx module (the one plugged into my rc transmitter). Since the ULRS creates a transparent serial link the minimosd functions the same as if it were plugged into the pixhawk. Then wire the Vrx output to the minimosd and then minimosd to lcd screen. Works the same if the minimosd was on the plane but the minimosd telemetry becomes independant of the video feed i.e. if video drops out you can still view telemetry.

A bit unconventional but ULRS makes this setup possible
Yes, that's a very good idea, I'll add it to the site.
Jun 11, 2016, 11:26 AM

Newbie question SAFE and APM/PIXHAWK

Does APM or Pixhawk have equivalent what SAFE has with its various levels for beginners that will keep the plane level and a panic mode?

I still get confused at times when I am flying and it nice to have safe there to help out.
Jun 11, 2016, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLeppard
Does APM or Pixhawk have equivalent what SAFE has with its various levels for beginners that will keep the plane level and a panic mode?

I still get confused at times when I am flying and it nice to have safe there to help out.
Yes. It is a full autopilot. Some reading for you. http://ardupilot.org/plane/index.html
Jun 11, 2016, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54
Now i see what he was trying to do
I see. I feel a mod coming on. I like the idea of putting MinimOSD in the TX, in a box with video in and out. Unconventional but actually much better for FPV safety on a plane. Now we need a MinimOSD added to a ULRS carrier board with video in and out.....
Jun 11, 2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone who replied to my MinimOSD issue. And thanks Flipflap for adding it to the site.

yak --- I FINALLY got it working with your R800 19200 firmware and this character set.

But...... after a minute or so it just reads "no mavlink data". Also this only worked on micro minimosds and not minimosd. The minimosd still had a horizon and heading rose that was gibberish.

I'm going to try to get a new one today and see

So far I have:

Micro MinimOSD--- "no mavlink data" after being turned on for a minute

Micro MinimOSD--- displays osd text but no video, just black background

MinimOSD--- Can't get horizon and heading rose to show properly
Jun 11, 2016, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007trains
You can connect minimosd to your transmitter and wire it into video on ground so minimosd will continue to work if your video drops out.
I never even thought of this! If I can get the first one working I might set up a second one as a backup that I could quickly flip on if I loose video. Maybe set it up with bluetooth so I don't have wires going to the tx. It would be like flying on instruments (I would crash for sure!)
Jun 11, 2016, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwhiper
Check the ardupilot site and flipflaps site or read this topic.
All the awnsers are there....

Last couple of pages i have been tempted to say: RTFM
None of that addresses using the serial link on the ground side, only directly from the pixhawk or the APM, though after just looking it appears that Flip Flap just updated to address it on the web site.

What my question asked, though in a simpler way, is:
Does ULRS modify the serial data in some way or is it the same coming off a ULRS module as it is off the APM or pixhawk......

And BTW I did RTFM, it's a new way to use a great system...... Was not in the "FM" before.

I have found the OSD must be configured to use 19200baud, but that is in the thread and on the ULRS website now.
Last edited by Upnorth4; Jun 11, 2016 at 04:29 PM.
Jun 11, 2016, 07:31 PM
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwhiper
they are sharing the serial TX pin of the flightcontroller and as long as you dont connect the TX pin of the minimosd it doesn't have anything to do with ULRS.

this is the same with all telemetry options.

Oh - that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Steve
Jun 11, 2016, 07:44 PM
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingweasal
I never even thought of this! If I can get the first one working I might set up a second one as a backup that I could quickly flip on if I loose video. Maybe set it up with bluetooth so I don't have wires going to the tx. It would be like flying on instruments (I would crash for sure!)

Assuming you had altitude and a GPS direction to your launch point, you could just go to 200 feet or so and make a bee line for home using instruments only.

Or you could just do RTL but that's too easy.

Steve
Jun 11, 2016, 08:02 PM
Nothing to see here move along all
Last edited by yak-54; Feb 22, 2018 at 05:47 AM.
Jun 12, 2016, 01:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorth4
None of that addresses using the serial link on the ground side, only directly from the pixhawk or the APM, though after just looking it appears that Flip Flap just updated to address it on the web site.

What my question asked, though in a simpler way, is:
Does ULRS modify the serial data in some way or is it the same coming off a ULRS module as it is off the APM or pixhawk......

And BTW I did RTFM, it's a new way to use a great system...... Was not in the "FM" before.

I have found the OSD must be configured to use 19200baud, but that is in the thread and on the ULRS website now.
On the ground side, it's at 115200 and exactly the same as on air, EXCEPT when the ULRS CC is connected.

At that moment there will be some additional data for internal use, such as for the spectrum analyzer.

But it shouldnt prevent using minimOSD on ground side.
Jun 12, 2016, 02:46 AM
Thread OP
Reorganized the menu on the site to make things easier to find out :

Quick Reply