Mar 19, 2014, 12:46 PM
Yes - the only thing that seems to be missing is how to connect the 1W TX (acting as RX) to the APM. Please provide instructions for that, and I'll try it this weekend ...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2014, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
OK I'll add a photo of this, basically the PPM serial output will be obtained on the PPM 'in' on the TX. And then the RX/TX pins have to be connected (crossed) to the APM.
Mar 19, 2014, 02:35 PM
Ah ok - pretty simple then.
Question - I see both your TX and RX are the Futaba version. Will this work if one of them (e.g. the TX side, so it fits nicely to Taranis) is the JR version?
Mar 19, 2014, 02:37 PM
Ok I got it. Then power with five volts and that is it. Perfect
Mar 19, 2014, 02:42 PM
Have you tried to get telemetry sent to a ardustation at all?
Mar 19, 2014, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnet
Ah ok - pretty simple then.
Question - I see both your TX and RX are the Futaba version. Will this work if one of them (e.g. the TX side, so it fits nicely to Taranis) is the JR version?
didn't try, but I think there are no other differences than the connector.
Mar 19, 2014, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser
Have you tried to get telemetry sent to a ardustation at all?
I've flown all year long with APM and mission planner. The firmware I did was really focused on having a reliable telemetry link (100% packets) with smooth servos too.
Mar 19, 2014, 03:57 PM
Flipflap - what antennas have you been using to get your 4.5km?
We also spoke about getting RSSI out on another pin - could you arrange it? (please?)
Mar 19, 2014, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
About antennas, everyone has different ideas I'm using a ground plane on a tripod on top of the car :

http://www.gotronic.fr/art-antenne-4...gp433-8506.htm

and the default small antenna provided by HK with the OLRS, on the plane.

Probably I could get very far with a better antenna on the plane, but I appreciate to have a small "unbreakable" and waterproof antenna.

I understand most people will choose a smaller antenna on the car, and a larger one on the plane, but with 1W we can afford bad antennas

The RSSI is implemented, but as there are not many accessible pins on the 1W TX I'll have to post a photo to show where to solder a wire.
Mar 21, 2014, 06:06 AM
Flipflap - I tried your firmwares on a pair of 1W TX - RX to one, TX to the other.
But they just beep rapidly, no apparent connection.

Is there a binding process?

it's true that one of my TXes is the JR rather than Futaba model, but I don't think that makes a difference.
Mar 21, 2014, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
It's mostly based on the original openlrs code, not on the openlrsng.

So basically there's no binding process, it just works out of the box.

Just to explain a bit more the context and why I did this firmware, is because I had issues with the openlrsng, such as
-binding issues
-system failing while in the air
-slow telemetry, and influence on the fluidity of servos
-impossible to use a HK 1W TX as RX, however this would lead to the cheapest 1W RC+telemetry system

It seems that other people are experiencing similar issues, and now the flash memory is pointed as a possible culprit.

As I needed something extremely reliable, I preferred to start from the official flytron code, which beside a small bug on the serial PPM, is working fine since more than 1 year.

In addition I wanted something working perfectly with the APM and telemetry, I mean no packet loss at 19200 bauds, while keeping perfectly smooth servo movements, and be able to fly > 4 km away.

And also I wanted to be able to use the HK 1W TX in the plane to make a 1W bidirectionnal link (which is not a supported configuration with openlrsng).

So I made a firmware doing exactly that and enjoy it since several month. It has less features than openlrsng, and will not receive so much support, but it's simple, reliable (does not rely on flash memory), bidirectionnal 1W and works fine with APM.

Please just notice this is not meant to be an openlrsng replacement for everyone, it's more designed for people who just want to fly far away and reliably with an APM (using serial PPM).

I will only provide limited support and future development, so for most users I would recommend to stay with openlrsng if it suits their needs.

(Well, I however plan to provide a configuration tool and some enhancements if people ask for it )
Last edited by flipflap; Mar 21, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Mar 21, 2014, 11:01 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
It's a great project
I have the intention of using it too, once I get the 1w modules ordered
Mar 21, 2014, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
I've added a wiring diagram for the 1W TX, full instructions are still there.

Last edited by flipflap; Mar 22, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
Mar 21, 2014, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
I've added a wiring diagram for the 1W TX, full instructions are still there.

I guess I did not realize that the tx was hooked up to the apm as well for programming. Does this mean that the programming is through the apm connection? I thought that the programming might be stand alone in the openlrs and not specific to the apm. Am I mistaken in this? Or is the APM just serving as an pass through of the code so that it goes to both tx and rx at the same time. The reason I ask this is because I was thinking about trying this with a couple of different autopilots. I am using the Arsov pixhawk board and their matrix autopilot. I am also using the MyFlyDream Autopilot. I can switch to just APM if need be but I am just trying to clarify. Thank you again for all the help with this setup.
Mar 22, 2014, 12:03 AM
Thread OP
To clarify, the programming is done without APM, just by connecting a FTDI cable to the serial port of the OLRS TX.

But actually you had an excellent idea, to use the APM as a programmer for OLRS. But this would need at least to connect another wire to the "DTR/reset" pin, to tell the OLRS when we are programming.

Quick Reply