Oct 17, 2015, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
There are now 66 registered beta testers, I'm very happy to see many people interested in this project.

Another feature that I'll add on the todo list is a very long range setting, but which still allows basic telemetry. Maybe there will be only 1 position update per second, but the range will be doubled or more. It could be seen as a 'mayday' mode that extends the range to bring back the plane safely if it was really too far away.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2015, 10:46 PM
CS/Mathematics student

Added range extender switch

Hey all. Just modded my radio to have an emergency switch to go from 5V to 6V. It remains stable while transitioning from my testing. The module remains at 5V until switching to 6V so it never loses power. It is powered via a Turnigy 5A 5/6V SBEC. I added a DPST switch to go between the two voltages and mounted it on the back. The bluetooth module still fits in the original case fine. The mod costs about $6 and you can get the BEC here

-Squidyman
Oct 18, 2015, 02:04 AM
Mission planner connection statistic's is reporting that about 40 packet's out of every 1000 as being lost. Transmitter is not beeping.

More disturbingly connection percentage bouncing between 94 and 100, sometimes dipping to 86. Since transmitter is not beeping, is this corresponding only to the connection between my Tx and Mission Planner?

Trying to get these darn scratch module's stabilized...
Oct 18, 2015, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidyman View Post
Hey all. Just modded my radio to have an emergency switch to go from 5V to 6V. It remains stable while transitioning from my testing. The module remains at 5V until switching to 6V so it never loses power. It is powered via a Turnigy 5A 5/6V SBEC. I added a DPST switch to go between the two voltages and mounted it on the back. The bluetooth module still fits in the original case fine. The mod costs about $6 and you can get the BEC here

-Squidyman
Good idea the switch between high and insane power

I've included your mod on the site here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/wp-a...07&action=edit

There's another very small switching regulator that I appreciate for its quality and size, it's this one : http://www.robotshop.com/eu/fr/de-sw...gineering.html

And it's adjustable to any output voltage.
Oct 18, 2015, 03:13 AM
Dear Ben,

with my second older module , i have the same problem as other, they wont comuncate, but you can burn the software.
So I checked the working one: This is connected at 19200 and the not working one connects with 115200.
No matter what I set at in this case COM4, the connection baud rate stays the same.
I think here is the problem.
mfg
Wolfgang
Oct 18, 2015, 03:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemond View Post
Mission planner connection statistic's is reporting that about 40 packet's out of every 1000 as being lost. Transmitter is not beeping.

More disturbingly connection percentage bouncing between 94 and 100, sometimes dipping to 86. Since transmitter is not beeping, is this corresponding only to the connection between my Tx and Mission Planner?

Trying to get these darn scratch module's stabilized...
40 packets lost on 1000 is way too much, I just tried again here with latest version, and get 0 packets lost on 3000.

But Mission Planner at 19200 will loose some packets during the initial parameters transfer. Try to measure after this initial phase.
Oct 18, 2015, 03:26 AM
Dear Ben

Now I got the older module to work:
First connected the ggod one,so it sets to 19200.
then disconnected the good one and connected the not working one on the fly, so the program stays on 19200.
now I can update parameters.

b.r.
Wolfgang
Oct 18, 2015, 05:52 AM
Thread OP
Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks, it looks like you've put the finger on something important, and can think of situations where the wrong baudrate will be selected. I'll check that today.
Oct 18, 2015, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet A1 View Post
so the program stays on 19200.
now I can update parameters.
you could try to set the baudrate at the device properties of your ftdi/serial port.

@flipflap updater still hangs on downloading the update.
also it's not possible to acces your site anymore.
by proxy the site is available so i think its a problem at my ISP.
giving them a call monday.
Oct 18, 2015, 06:10 AM
Well, Id gave this a try as well, did not work at all, Ultimate LRS connected always with 115200.
b.r.
Wolfgang
Oct 18, 2015, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet A1 View Post
Dear Ben,

with my second older module , i have the same problem as other, they wont comuncate, but you can burn the software.
So I checked the working one: This is connected at 19200 and the not working one connects with 115200.
No matter what I set at in this case COM4, the connection baud rate stays the same.
I think here is the problem.
mfg
Wolfgang
OK, the modules are RX or TX ? Do you know the versions currently programmed on them ?
Oct 18, 2015, 11:06 AM
High,

Both were Rx modules.
The one working was continuously flashed up to the last version.
The not working module was flashed with 2.?
It was the version before swapping to channel hopping.
b.r.
Wolfgang
Oct 18, 2015, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
OK, then it's because ULRS CC tries to communicate with modules on every COM port on 19200 and on 115200 bauds, to determine their baudrates. For this, it will request a status, but the bug here is if the module doesn't answer correctly (old module, or uninitialized module) we have no clue which baudrate to use.

I'll modify so that when saving parameters it will use 19200 bauds for RX and 115200 for TX as it should.

The firmware update is a completely different process, which discuss with the bootloader (always at 57600 bauds).
Oct 18, 2015, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
40 packets lost on 1000 is way too much, I just tried again here with latest version, and get 0 packets lost on 3000.

But Mission Planner at 19200 will loose some packets during the initial parameters transfer. Try to measure after this initial phase.

I beginning to think that there is some kind of interference inside my house. I have ruled out every possible variable except for three. Interference inside my house, my old poopy dipole, or an intermittent connnection.

I am building an isolated mobile testing rig to take outside where I only have to deal with 450Mhz of interference.

What really bother's me, is that the packet loss seem's to get worse as the module's heat up. I broke out some tiny cooling fan's last night, but result's were inconclusive.

I will keep you posted, but I am almost certain that this is not a firmware issue. And remember, these are the module's we have been discussing.
Oct 18, 2015, 11:25 AM
Good news,
so our indian friend and others will have access to their module again!

made the RSSI working this afternoon. with a lot trial and error.

It seems to show correct values, as I have nearly no range!
I can shout further than the range of the LOOOONG range UHF is!
b.r.
Wolfang
Last edited by Jet A1; Oct 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply