Thread Tools
Aug 07, 2015, 09:20 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
And you won't regret it !

Well, I'm on leave next week, and should have a lot of time to work on the project. I didn't fly since a few monthes so the plan is to make the new release around Monday, and they fly plenty...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2015, 02:24 PM
Just call me Justin.
How would the slave option work?
Aug 07, 2015, 02:31 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Image a system with a TX and a RX.

Then add a slave RX, for example in the car, with a large antenna, connected to a laptop.

The slave RX will only listen, and send the mavlink data to the laptop.

But your question is probably about how will Mission Planner connect, as it won't be able to send anything.

It will be connected with CTRL-T, the mode where it just skips the connection step and parameters download, and just listen to whatever it receives. It will then be able to display the plane attitude and position on the map and such parameters.
Aug 07, 2015, 02:47 PM
Arrière pays Niçois
salience's Avatar
May your airborne hours be wonderful!

Here's a photo of the 2.4GHz GP antenna that I made today. Not amazing. Couldn't get the VSWR below 2.5 but at least that was quite a bit better than the rubber ducky I'm now using on my 2W wifi amplifier. I tested all the other 2.4 antennas lying around and they werent any better, mostly worse, including some CP ones I thought should be good. And the 2.4 Moxon I built was also dismally around 4 VSWR. But all that's good news for the 433 antenna since if nothing I had could even penetrate the 2 level, the 433 seems to be a very lucky hit. I don't dare even breathe on it now for fear the magic will depart!

As for the 2.4 it's hard to tell what might be amiss. Sleeve balun too big, radials too long, radials departing from too far up the radiator... Another positive note was that I confirmed that the effective radiator length is from its tip to the upper edge of the balun. Since I purposely made the radials a bit long due to the results for the 433, I think I'll trim them back to the theoretical 29mm and see how that affects things.
Aug 07, 2015, 02:54 PM
Just call me Justin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Image a system with a TX and a RX.

Then add a slave RX, for example in the car, with a large antenna, connected to a laptop.

The slave RX will only listen, and send the mavlink data to the laptop.

But your question is probably about how will Mission Planner connect, as it won't be able to send anything.

It will be connected with CTRL-T, the mode where it just skips the connection step and parameters download, and just listen to whatever it receives. It will then be able to display the plane attitude and position on the map and such parameters.
Awesome. Thank you.

Is it possible to have a a TX that's has rc and another one to do telem?

Have GS have the telem and your remote has the rc....
Aug 07, 2015, 04:42 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
That's a good idea, it would be very practical.

I think it can be done, but rather than having the RC TX and the telemetry TX talking directly to the RX, I would imagine the RC TX sending data to the telemetry TX, and this one would send all infos (RC+telemetry) to the plane RX.

In this way we can have a single large antenna on the car / ground station, and the RC TX will just have a small ducky antenna. Not enough to impress the girls, but show them your 10 elements yagi with antenna tracker.
Aug 07, 2015, 04:44 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by salience
May your airborne hours be wonderful!

Here's a photo of the 2.4GHz GP antenna that I made today. Not amazing. Couldn't get the VSWR below 2.5 but at least that was quite a bit better than the rubber ducky I'm now using on my 2W wifi amplifier. I tested all the other 2.4 antennas lying around and they werent any better, mostly worse, including some CP ones I thought should be good. And the 2.4 Moxon I built was also dismally around 4 VSWR. But all that's good news for the 433 antenna since if nothing I had could even penetrate the 2 level, the 433 seems to be a very lucky hit. I don't dare even breathe on it now for fear the magic will depart!

As for the 2.4 it's hard to tell what might be amiss. Sleeve balun too big, radials too long, radials departing from too far up the radiator... Another positive note was that I confirmed that the effective radiator length is from its tip to the upper edge of the balun. Since I purposely made the radials a bit long due to the results for the 433, I think I'll trim them back to the theoretical 29mm and see how that affects things.
Maybe try first without balun, to see if it's something about it ?

Here's an idea for a 5 minutes 2.4GHz ground plane antenna :

http://www.jensenjensen.com/radio/GP24antenna.htm

Would be easy to do even for 1.2GHz, this type of antenna deserves some advertizing...
Aug 07, 2015, 06:26 PM
Just call me Justin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Maybe try first without balun, to see if it's something about it ?

Here's an idea for a 5 minutes 2.4GHz ground plane antenna :

http://www.jensenjensen.com/radio/GP24antenna.htm

Would be easy to do even for 1.2GHz, this type of antenna deserves some advertizing...
What are the dimensions for a 433???
Aug 07, 2015, 07:06 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
And you won't regret it !

Well, I'm on leave next week, and should have a lot of time to work on the project. I didn't fly since a few monthes so the plan is to make the new release around Monday, and they fly plenty...
Release Monday. Sounds great. Too late for my long range AP quad which is in the hold of my delayed flight to Greece. Looking forward to testing it in a fixed wing when i get back. Hope you enjoy some flying.
Aug 07, 2015, 11:10 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt41time
What are the dimensions for a 433???
I've found an old IBcrazy article about it : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post16466938
Aug 08, 2015, 12:01 AM
Just call me Justin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
I've found an old IBcrazy article about it : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post16466938

164mm....
6.5 inches
Aug 08, 2015, 12:14 AM
Just call me Justin.
Is there any problem with an osd on the ground side?

A little off subject I know....
Aug 08, 2015, 12:53 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
No problem, initially the OSD was in the plane because there was no telemetry. But with telemetry the OSD can be on ground side.
Aug 08, 2015, 03:57 AM
Registered User
So ...I understand I need 3 modules, Tx for the radio, Rx for plane, Rx for GS, that correct?
Moti
Aug 08, 2015, 04:03 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Usually people only use
-1 TX, that's plugged into the RC TX, and is connected to the ground station (PC with mission planner, or tablet / phone) via USB/FTDI cable
-1 RX which is in the plane/quad

A new feature for a future release is the slave RX, where the computer will be able to be connected to a third module, only receiving.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools