Jul 16, 2015, 03:26 PM
Empty
Last edited by HuguesD; Jul 19, 2015 at 01:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2015, 03:43 PM
And I have reported Jakestew to the moderators for his trolling behaviour and this personal threat to me.
Jul 16, 2015, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuguesD
And I have reported Jakestew to the moderators for his trolling behaviour and this personal threat to me.
I wish you good luck. Appeals for civility from any quarter do not seem to be effective.
Jul 16, 2015, 06:25 PM
@HuguesD...

I apologize for writing a drunken PM to you and for telling you explicitly what I think of you. If you take that as some sort of threat, I again apologize. It was not my intent.
In the future I'll just contact the police when I see illegal activity going on rather than reason with you.

You are clearly trolling me, I'm done with this thread. At least I'm above childishly reporting factual posts that don't violate the rules OR publicly reposting PMs OR repeatedly dredging up stuff to derail threads.
Jul 16, 2015, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, I appreciate if everyone tries to post only useful, nice and constructive comments.

After all we're all just hobbyists sharing the same hobby, and it's normal that different people have different opinions, and that some people express them in different ways.

Peace, guys
Jul 16, 2015, 07:25 PM
Waypoint Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Some screenshot of the beta under development :

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/ulti...-next-release/
The new updater interface looks great. It's clear you've put much effort into it. I would like to see a demonstration of the new features - maybe a video tour.
Jul 17, 2015, 04:50 AM
Thread OP
(Sorry for the long post !)

No problem, I've already started to make a video showing how to install ULRS, from unboxing to flying, so it will also cover the ULRS updater.

I'm looking for another name for the updater, as it will do much more than update the firmware. It could evolve progressively into a complete ground station such as mission planner, but oriented towards the .

Maybe something like ULRS Control Tower / ULRS Management Tool / ULRS Ground Station / ULRS Pilot's view / ULRS Glass Cockpit / ULRS Virtual Cockpit
but all of this sounds very common, if you guys have a suggestion, let's brainstorm !

Another idea, different subject : how to test the maximum range. You remember a user went 40 km with ULRS, he just sent me new photos of his video antennas and antenna analyzer, and a flight video that I'll post soon.

But he's just using ULRS with a normal OrangeRX (400 mW), and said this was only his plane's limit. I'd like to push to much more, with a 1W modified OrangeRX, and a 10 elements yagi. It should be able to pass the 100 km bar and more, but my plane obviously can't go that far.

So it's of course possible to make a theoretical prediction, use attenuators or low power and come with a theoretical distance, but that's not quite fun. (Well I did the exercice and come up with 112 km theoretical distance. To go that far the plane must be around 1500 m altitude due to earth curvature.)

To test it in practice, there will be a new feature in the software (not this version, I know you need it quickly)

An ULRS will be left home, with a good yagi pointing outside a window. Then take the car and the plane and go very far away (>100 km). Then launch the plane as usual, with an ULRS on the ground (car), and an ULRS in the plane.

The trick is that in addition to listen / answer to the 'car' ULRS, it will listen to another frequency which is the 'house' ULRS. It will listen less frequently, for example 100 ms every second. It will collect information about the number of packets received from the house, and their RSSI, and send the information to the 'car' ULRS.

So the plane will never be piloted by the 'house' ULRS, it will just analyze the signal strength and number of packets received, to determine the link quality at that distance, and then repeat the test for increasing distances.
The 'plane' ULRS will also answer to the packets, so that the 'house' ULRS can count the received packets and record their RSSI for later analysis.

The fun thing is that the plane will not 'see' the 'house' until it reaches a high altitude, due to earth curvature. It will be interesting to see the practical altitude and compare to theoretical distance, as HF waves tend to follow the earth curvature, while UHF tend to go in straight line, but 433MHz is the low end of the UHF, maybe it will bend slightly with the earth curvature.
Jul 17, 2015, 08:37 AM
You could play on words ULRS Mav-Pit. (mavlink cockpit). There is a lot of potential to improve on mission planner, which is great for configuring APM. I have started to play with UgCS for mission planning and control. It is a lot more stable and the maps are much better and effectively in 3D. Or maybe you are just looking for better instrumentation without the emphasis on planning. Would this not be best done as an Android app?
Jul 17, 2015, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
That's a good name, much better than Cock-link (cockpit mavlink)

But I'm not sure mavlink will stay forever, it not very efficient in terms of bandwidth and CPU usage. For example the pitch and similar angles are sent as float, which is a format allowing to store numbers from 3.4028235E+38 to -3.4028235E+38

Of course it's almost universally accepted, that's its biggest advantage.

Regarding Android and such yes I'm looking at it, but it's easier to develop on PC and then choose a framework that supports Android, iOs etc.
Jul 17, 2015, 09:18 AM
mavlink is not perfect system, but it is the best hobby UAV system. It is not very effficient, and I think we'll have soon something better or mavlink 2.0. So new GCS must have something like communication protocol abstraction layer
Jul 17, 2015, 10:36 AM
Arrière pays Niçois
Quote:
(Sorry for the long post !)
<snip>
I'm looking for another name for the updater, <snip>
For truly ultimate long-range, and in honor of the latest aero-stunt, how 'bout PLUTO...
Jul 17, 2015, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salience
For truly ultimate long-range, and in honor of the latest aero-stunt, how 'bout PLUTO...
or "ultimate horizonts" )))
Jul 17, 2015, 05:34 PM
Quote:
That's a good name, much better than Cock-link (cockpit mavlink)

But I'm not sure mavlink will stay forever, it not very efficient in terms of bandwidth and CPU usage. For example the pitch and similar angles are sent as float, which is a format allowing to store numbers from 3.4028235E+38 to -3.4028235E+38

Of course it's almost universally accepted, that's its biggest advantage.

Regarding Android and such yes I'm looking at it, but it's easier to develop on PC and then choose a framework that supports Android, iOs etc.
Hmmmmm ULRS Cock-Link. It won't go over well in the Southern United States.
Jul 19, 2015, 05:19 AM
Blowtorch and a pair of pliers
Wow, much has happened since my last visit to this forum! I've been out flying 1.02 since way back and have not had pause to return here. After skimming through many pages of......

I think you should call it "STEWPID"

Just sayin!!
Jul 19, 2015, 08:34 AM
Blowtorch and a pair of pliers
I have a "STEWPID" question! Is it possible to have a separate receiver on the ground receiving telemetry data directly/solely from the Rx on the aeromodel? I have "single board computers". Odroid C1's to be specific. These have an HDMI interface for direct connection to say a 19 inch LCD HD TV. They also possess serial connections for another 1w ULRS module. They run Linux or Android. Im assuming it would not be difficult to have a very robust ground station comprised of these or similar hardwares if you can imagine were I'm going with this? Presently my transmitter receives telemetry from the aeromodel and I have a bluetooth module relaying info to laptop, smartphone...
I would like to eliminate my need for a bluetooth relay and relay telemetry direct to an Odroid C1 and the HDTV connected to it! Potentially one could have mission planner or something similar running with a realtime FPV feed on a 60inch HDTV OMG!

Quick Reply