Jul 05, 2015, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
That's interesting, I'll try the same parameter as you.

Can you first try this ?

"The first thing to check the amount of data the pixhawk tries to send from plane to ground.

For this, just connect it via USB, and click "link stats". If it's anormally high, we'll check the Mission Planner settings."
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2015, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkmuc
Hi Flipflap,
Will You Release an Update of ultimatelrs? You told something about adding new functions and the possibility to select Different frequencies?
Hi Minkmuc,

Yes, actually it's a complete rewrite rather than an update. I decided to keep the name Ultimate LRS (ULRS) and it will be version 2.00

The features for version 2.00 are
- support for 16 RC channels (Taranis)
- ability to select the hopping channels
- new updater
- spectrum analyzer
- some other useful features : for example it shows for each hopping channel the background noise RSSI level, and the signal RSSI level.
- binding
- simple encryption
- real-time statistics (bytes per second up / down, mavlink packets per second and per type, lost packets etc)
- some other gizmos, such as showing the RFM chip temperature...

Features for future releases :
- strong encryption
- 3D OSD : ground station computer generated OSD fully configurable to show any mavlink data in different colors, size, positions etc.
- ability to analyze hopping channels (for example identify interferences on a specific channel), and change them in flight.
- several real time graphs based on mavlink data, for example :
- the sink rate vs the airspeed to optimize a glider.
- RSSI vs distance to optimize or compare antennas
Jul 05, 2015, 07:21 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi Minkmuc,

Yes, actually it's a complete rewrite rather than an update. I decided to keep the name Ultimate LRS (ULRS) and it will be version 2.00

- new updater
- spectrum analyzer
- some other useful features : for example it shows for each hopping channel the background noise RSSI level, and the signal RSSI level.
- binding
- simple encryption
- real-time statistics (bytes per second up / down, mavlink packets per second and per type, lost packets etc)

- strong encryption
- 3D OSD : ground station computer generated OSD fully configurable to show any mavlink data in different colors, size, positions etc.
- ability to analyze hopping channels (for example identify interferences on a specific channel), and change them in flight.
Yaaa!! More beer money!
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Jul 06, 2015, 09:41 AM
Wisconsin
Kidding aside, I think this is a fabulous product that I could not get the same features with any other product. FlipFlap has done a great job of documenting it. The new version promises even a richer feature set. So if you appreciate the effort I encourage you to support FlipFlap with a few bucks. I know part of the attraction is the low price of the solution but if everyone just donated a few dollars it says "we appreciate what you are doing and the time you are putting in for us".

Thanks, you can paypal to [email protected]
Jul 06, 2015, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
Kidding aside, I think this is a fabulous product that I could not get the same features with any other product. FlipFlap has done a great job of documenting it. The new version promises even a richer feature set. So if you appreciate the effort I encourage you to support FlipFlap with a few bucks. I know part of the attraction is the low price of the solution but if everyone just donated a few dollars it says "we appreciate what you are doing and the time you are putting in for us".

Thanks, you can paypal to [email protected]
Agreed. This V2 looks sensational. Well worth a donation. Anyone putting out this kind of software should at very least have their hobby expenses fully covered.
Jul 06, 2015, 11:49 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Agreed. This V2 looks sensational. Well worth a donation. Anyone putting out this kind of software should at very least have their hobby expenses fully covered.
Exactly, it is not about making money it is just getting the feedback that people value your work enough to chip in a few bucks for those expenses.
Jul 06, 2015, 02:34 PM
Hopefully you guys are going to first chip in to developers that have put a LOT more work into this like the original OpenLRS and OpenLRSng developers.

Remember that ULRS is still just a stripped down version of OpenLRS and all this development work is just adding features back in that have been in OpenLRSng for a long time.

I don't mean to disparage donating to developers who do projects you like, just realize that OpenLRS and Kha from OpenLRSng are the ones that have done all the actual coding to this point. So give credit where credit is due.
Jul 06, 2015, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestew
Hopefully you guys are going to first chip in to developers that have put a LOT more work into this like the original OpenLRS and OpenLRSng developers.

Remember that ULRS is still just a stripped down version of OpenLRS and all this development work is just adding features back in that have been in OpenLRSng for a long time.

I don't mean to disparage donating to developers who do projects you like, just realize that OpenLRS and Kha from OpenLRSng are the ones that have done all the actual coding to this point. So give credit where credit is due.
I donate to a number of developers giving their time and effort freely. I have zero interest in your opinion as to what I should do with my money.
Jul 06, 2015, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Thanks to you Marc and Mike, and all others who encouraged, be it by a donation or by friendly comments, or providing a schema or a picture for the site ! It's really appreciated !

I'm thinking about adding a page for user advices, photos and videos, sometimes it's useful to see example set-ups, or flights made with ULRS before deciding to use it.
Jul 09, 2015, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Thanks to you Marc and Mike, and all others who encouraged, be it by a donation or by friendly comments, or providing a schema or a picture for the site ! It's really appreciated !

I'm thinking about adding a page for user advices, photos and videos, sometimes it's useful to see example set-ups, or flights made with ULRS before deciding to use it.
Thank you very much Ben!
It's good Idea.
Jul 10, 2015, 12:31 AM
Thread OP
I'm preparing some video content about installation, configuration etc

Here's already a comparison of connection time between ULRS and 3DR radio. OK, consider it a first draft of a sequence to insert in a more complete comparison between several different LRS systems.

(8 min 9 sec)
Jul 11, 2015, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestew

JakeStew, your months long frustration and destructive comments towards Flipflap on this thread are getting old. If you're unhappy with what FlipFlap is doing, just pass your way to some other forum where we won't have to support your trolling attitude anymore. Although I'm realizing that by posting this I'm feeding the troll but someone had to speak up.
Jul 11, 2015, 07:41 AM
Waypoint Collector
Quote:
Hi Minkmuc,

- new updater
- spectrum analyzer
- binding
- simple encryption

- strong encryption
Hello FlipFlap. These are exciting features - especially the future releases. Will this continue to be based on the OrangeRX hardware or something different?
Jul 11, 2015, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
That's a good question, as we see a trend in different projects to move away from 8 bits microcontrollers and choose 32 bits boards or even more powerful boards such as raspberry pi.

I can understand that for a complex flight controller it can be useful to step up, but for a LRS system a 8 bits system is perfectly sized.

All that's required is to communicate with the RF chip, read and generate PPM signal and do several other simple tasks. The CPU is only used at a fraction of its capacity. The atmega328 has almost 16 MIPS, which is much more than for example a commodore 64 which had only 0.5 MIPS, but that was sufficient to run a flight simulator.

I appreciate using this chip, which is not oversized, and consumes very low power (26 mA @3.3V in failsafe). This is to be compared to the 1000mA @5V of a raspberry pi, which in addition requires a long boot time.

To me the LRS must be just a link, strong, long range, reliable. It may handle some more complex tasks such as encryption, but must be a reliable link, just like a network cable.
If something more complex must be done, it's a task for the flight controller, or the ground station / tablet / computer. There we've thousands time more CPU power (and that's where the special features, 3D OSD, virtual cockpit etc are computed)

I think the OrangeRX are an excellent hardware, in a light and nice-looking case. It fits perfectly in the removable cockpit of planes such as easyglider and easystar.
The voltage regulator is a high quality switching regulator that never warms up, it's easy to modify it to power the RFM module at 6V and have a full 1W power.

Even with the default power of 400mW, it has reached 40km.

And it's extremely low-priced, it would be very difficult to produce something similar with a custom case for that price. So I think OrangeRX modules are perfectly fitted for the job.
Jul 11, 2015, 04:16 PM
Waypoint Collector
Quote:
That's a good question, as we see a trend in different projects to move away from 8 bits microcontrollers and choose 32 bits boards or even more powerful boards such as raspberry pi.

I can understand that for a complex flight controller it can be useful to step up, but for a LRS system a 8 bits system is perfectly sized.

All that's required is to communicate with the RF chip, read and generate PPM signal and do several other simple tasks. The CPU is only used at a fraction of its capacity. The atmega328 has almost 16 MIPS, which is much more than for example a commodore 64 which had only 0.5 MIPS, but that was sufficient to run a flight simulator.

I appreciate using this chip, which is not oversized, and consumes very low power (26 mA @3.3V in failsafe). This is to be compared to the 1000mA @5V of a raspberry pi, which in addition requires a long boot time.

To me the LRS must be just a link, strong, long range, reliable. It may handle some more complex tasks such as encryption, but must be a reliable link, just like a network cable.
If something more complex must be done, it's a task for the flight controller, or the ground station / tablet / computer. There we've thousands time more CPU power (and that's where the special features, 3D OSD, virtual cockpit etc are computed)

I think the OrangeRX are an excellent hardware, in a light and nice-looking case. It fits perfectly in the removable cockpit of planes such as easyglider and easystar.
The voltage regulator is a high quality switching regulator that never warms up, it's easy to modify it to power the RFM module at 6V and have a full 1W power.

Even with the default power of 400mW, it has reached 40km.

And it's extremely low-priced, it would be very difficult to produce something similar with a custom case for that price. So I think OrangeRX modules are perfectly fitted for the job.
Thanks for the clear explanation. I was hoping you said that. I have a pair of "1W" OrangeRX modules patiently waiting for my attention.

Quick Reply