Jun 07, 2014, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
I should check the logs to have the exact time, but the transmitter was showing 45 minutes, however the flight itself must have been a bit shorter.

As the goal was pure range checking, there was no camera onboard.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2014, 12:16 AM
Rip - Crash - Repeat
Hey guys!

I read the entire post and checked on flipflap's site but I couldn't see the instructions to connect up to the pixhawk. Could someone help me?

Thank you!
Jun 08, 2014, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
Hi,

I don't have a pixhawk, but if someone can provide more information on how to connect it I'll update the instructions.

Also be sure to use the beta version with corrected PPM, as the current stable version will not work with PixHawk.
Jun 08, 2014, 03:27 AM
Rip - Crash - Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi,

I don't have a pixhawk, but if someone can provide more information on how to connect it I'll update the instructions.

Also be sure to use the beta version with corrected PPM, as the current stable version will not work with PixHawk.
Thanks!

If I get it working I will let you know.

Ciao!
Jun 09, 2014, 02:23 AM
Rip - Crash - Repeat
Hey flipflap, before I follow your guide I just have a couple more (stupid) questions:

1. In the walk-through you mention to get "an original apm"... you mean the first one or also 2.5 or 2.6 will work?!

2. If the TX is modified for Taranis telemetry, will it still work (not the Taranis telemetry, but your setup. I think you mention somewhere that you don't support s.port, so I know I will be losing telemetry)?!

Thanks!

Edit: I also realized that my Orange RX TX is different from yours (you have the Futaba and I have the JR) so the soldering that you do on the bottom of the TX doesn't match. Anyone else knows where to do that part of the soldering?! Which of the JR module pins should I solder? It looks like PPM is one of them, but what are the order of the other two!? Thanks!
Last edited by DestoFPV; Jun 09, 2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: One More stupid question
Jun 09, 2014, 04:05 AM
Thread OP
Hi,

Every question is a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass1
1. In the walk-through you mention to get "an original apm"... you mean the first one or also 2.5 or 2.6 will work?!
"Original APM from one of these retailers or the HobbyKing clone."

Its means you can either use the Original APM, or a clone. The version doesn't matter, as this firmware is completely transparent, and simply transmits data in both directions, like a serial wire.

Quote:
2. If the TX is modified for Taranis telemetry, will it still work (not the Taranis telemetry, but your setup. I think you mention somewhere that you don't support s.port, so I know I will be losing telemetry)?!
I don't support Taranis telemetry, the goal is to use APM telemetry.

Quote:
Edit: I also realized that my Orange RX TX is different from yours. The numbers are P089-0 and the soldering that you do on the bottom of the TX doesn't match. Anyone else knows where to do that part of the soldering?! Is it on the JR module attachment?!
Can you post the url of the part you've ordered and a photo ? The only connections required are battery and serial PPM, it can surely be done on the JR module attachment as well.
Jun 09, 2014, 05:22 AM
Rip - Crash - Repeat
Quote:
Hi,

Every question is a good one
Thank for answering them so quickly! Your project is great!

Quote:
"Original APM from one of these retailers or the HobbyKing clone."

Its means you can either use the Original APM, or a clone. The version doesn't matter, as this firmware is completely transparent, and simply transmits data in both directions, like a serial wire.
Ok, great! That's good news! I have both 2.5 and 2.6... I am glad they will work!

Quote:
I don't support Taranis telemetry, the goal is to use APM telemetry.
I didn't explain myself properly... my apologies. What I mean is that I am doing some physical modifications to the TX in order to get APM telemetry to the Taranis. The modifications are these:

I know these will not allow me to have telemetry on the transmitter, BUT will they prevent your code/mods from working?!

Quote:
Can you post the url of the part you've ordered and a photo ? The only connections required are battery and serial PPM, it can surely be done on the JR module attachment as well.
This is the image of the conncetor

Bought from here:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...mpatible_.html

Thanks again!

Edit:
According to this, the order is:

(ppm) (??) (vin) (gnd) (smartPort)
Last edited by DestoFPV; Jun 09, 2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Pin order
Jun 09, 2014, 05:53 AM
Hello flipflap,

Thanks for bringing me to your very interesting thread
Congratulations for all your work

I need to read all this in details now

Cheers
JC
Jun 09, 2014, 06:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thank for answering them so quickly! Your project is great!

Ok, great! That's good news! I have both 2.5 and 2.6... I am glad they will work!

I didn't explain myself properly... my apologies. What I mean is that I am doing some physical modifications to the TX in order to get APM telemetry to the Taranis. The modifications are these:

I know these will not allow me to have telemetry on the transmitter, BUT will they prevent your code/mods from working?!

This is the image of the conncetor

Bought from here:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...mpatible_.html

Thanks again!

Edit:
According to this, the order is:

(ppm) (??) (vin) (gnd) (smartPort)
Mmm, I'll need to search a little to know more about taranis telemetry and the modification you've done.

A priori, as long as the mission planner receives the serial telemetry it will work, but here what's exactly the goal of the transistor, is it inverting the serial signal, or is it a level shifter ?

On the picture you've posted, you can see the PPM pin, that you will need to connect. And the VCC pin, that you'll also need to connect. I don't know which one is the ground, but you can use the ground from the serial port. (NB : don't use the VCC from the serial port)

There is also another connector (serial port), which is inside the case and you'll have to cut the case to make it accessible.

Jun 09, 2014, 06:26 AM
Rip - Crash - Repeat
Quote:
Mmm, I'll need to search a little to know more about taranis telemetry and the modification you've done.

A priori, as long as the mission planner receives the serial telemetry it will work, but here what's exactly the goal of the transistor, is it inverting the serial signal, or is it a level shifter ?

On the picture you've posted, you can see the PPM pin, that you will need to connect. And the VCC pin, that you'll also need to connect. I don't know which one is the ground, but you can use the ground from the serial port. (NB : don't use the VCC from the serial port)

There is also another connector (serial port), which is inside the case and you'll have to cut the case to make it accessible.

Indeed the transistor is to invert the signal.

Does this pin have some marking?! Or is it what you are showing on the "top" view?
Jun 09, 2014, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Indeed the transistor is to invert the signal.

Does this pin have some marking?! Or is it what you are showing on the "top" view?
Here is the pinout for the JR module, which corresponds to the connector on the bottom of your OpenLRS module.

- the pin marked as 'PPM' correspond to the wire marked PPM
- the pin marked +6V correspond to the wire marked '+' on my schematic.
- the pin marked GND corresponds to the wire marked '-' on my schematic.

The top connector is the serial connector, and can be connected as on the schematic.
Jun 10, 2014, 06:36 AM
Rip - Crash - Repeat
Fantastic... I really appreciate your time!

And my questions keep on coming! Having a cable between the TX and a computer is not ideal, could the FTDI cable be replaced with this?!

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12576

It can take 6V, so we could power it right from the module port... and on the laptop just chooses bluetooth as the comm port. Do you think this is a viable option?!

Thanks!
Jun 10, 2014, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
Yes, it should be working with this bluetooth adapter.
Jun 11, 2014, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Fantastic... I really appreciate your time!

And my questions keep on coming! Having a cable between the TX and a computer is not ideal, could the FTDI cable be replaced with this?!

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12576

It can take 6V, so we could power it right from the module port... and on the laptop just chooses bluetooth as the comm port. Do you think this is a viable option?!

Thanks!
check ebay for "bluetooth serial" buy it now lowest price + shipping first if you wanna save on this.
how do you think this is going to function? it would suck if you had to pair every time you want to use the link or reconnect on outages
Jun 12, 2014, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
I never used these modules, always using a cable between the TX and computer.

Quick Reply