May 08, 2021, 12:37 AM
Thread OP
With the ESP32 there's no problem supporting any protocol, but for now I focus on just having it ready with the basic features.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2021, 07:13 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
With the ESP32 there's no problem supporting any protocol, but for now I focus on just having it ready with the basic features.
Understood, thanks.
May 08, 2021, 07:45 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Agree. In the longer term it would be awesome to have the mav2passthrough code integrated. At present, to use this with ULRS it's a fairly simple setup with only the ULRS Tx and esp32 board in a box at the back of the Taranis, but would be even cooler to have this all on one esp32 board.
You can see this box has been used for many different configurations over the last few years. I think I have the ultimate telemetry solution now though in combo with ULRS dolphin board in this setup. I am really hoping Flipflap will consider the integration in the longer term rather than reinventing the telemetry wheel.
May 08, 2021, 12:22 PM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Hi Paul,

Nice and neat enclosure you have for your setup. I'm still using my original external setup which surprisingly still works since I am careful with it. If I ever upgrade it, I would like to use my Horus X10 display without the extra boards. Note that I don't use that antenna for flying.

Having the ESP32 board integrated would be a good start!

Cheers!
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
May 10, 2021, 05:47 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey
Hi Paul,

Nice and neat enclosure you have for your setup. I'm still using my original external setup which surprisingly still works since I am careful with it. If I ever upgrade it, I would like to use my Horus X10 display without the extra boards. Note that I don't use that antenna for flying.

Having the ESP32 board integrated would be a good start!

Cheers!
Fits the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
May 11, 2021, 11:33 PM
Quote:
It's possible to have a FS because the plane, and hence the antenna is close to the ground, so it's less effective. But I think the FC shouldn't react in this way and set full throttle when the plane has landed. I don't remember having seen Arduplane doing that for example, so maybe there's also a setting to check on INav.
I was out flying this morning and had a recurrence of my FS event after landing. On this occasion, my OSD RSSI was reporting 64% after landing and then, the OSD reported "RX! RC LINK LOST" for a couple of frames just prior to going into FS. In my first FS experience, I was confused because I was looking at the OSD RSSI reading which remains steady at 53% throughout but have learnt that this is normal iNav FS behaviour when the RX RC link is lost.

So, onto the bench for more testing.
I reduced my signal by using a HK 100mW TX instead of the usual 1W TX and put 13 db of attenuation on it and placed it in another room. Managed to get the RSSI down to 43%. I then bent the lower element of my ULRS dipole (see attached images) to see if that would trigger FS and it wouldn't. In fact, my RSSI only reduces by about 3% with a bent lower element. I then moistened the underside of my wing, dipole and Mini Bee cover ( just covered with gaffa tape) and then bent the lower half of my dipole in much the same way as the plane does as it lands on wet dewy grass. Still didn't go into FS though. I also lowered the wing whilst bending the lower dipole element to simulate the plane rolling onto it after landing and still didn't go into FS.

In the conditions this morning, I'm pointing a 1W signal with a slightly directional antenna (Moxon) and getting 65% RSSI on wet ground about 50 Metres from the TX.

So, none of that explains how I'm triggering FS in iNav. Here's the iNav FS link. I don't have an Aux mode FS setup. The only thing I'm sure of at this point is that iNav thinks the RC link is lost. I haven't been doing any black-box testing, so I'm going to have to start recording onto an onboard memory card and see if I can decipher more detail as to why the link is being lost. It doesn't seem to be related to signal strength IMHO.

It's quite disconcerting to have your plane fire up after landing.
May 20, 2021, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know of a good source of ultimateLRS compatible receivers? Ideally without having to build one from scratch and source all the components separately. Does anyone sell them?
May 20, 2021, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Yes, have a look at the OrangeRX modules : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/mate...to-fly_modules
May 20, 2021, 12:58 PM
I got a question about the orange 1W Rx modules. As 433 MHz Rx modules are not available , Can 915MHz modules be made to work on 433 by changing antenna and firmware? Or the internal circuitry is totally different? Thanks.
Last edited by ninja_zx11; May 20, 2021 at 03:30 PM.
May 20, 2021, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
They are completely different modules, the IC itself is the same but all the other components are specifically tuned for one frequency band.
May 20, 2021, 03:29 PM
Thanks.
May 20, 2021, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Yes, have a look at the OrangeRX modules : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/mate...to-fly_modules
I can only find the transmitter modules in stock in 433mhz and they are too large for my small hexacopter.
May 20, 2021, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Then you can try the Wolfbox combo here

The smaller module is only 100mW but it should be fine for a copter.
May 21, 2021, 07:48 AM
Flipflap

can you post some photo V3 ??? We want to know how it's progressing
May 23, 2021, 04:21 AM
Hi don't know,
Maybe old news.....

https://www.electronics-lab.com/piks...PKFCYeAt61XkhQ

Wolf

Quick Reply