Jan 29, 2021, 01:00 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to Ultimate LRS and want to know is it possible to control FPV by Ultimate LRS TX module (connected to PC via FTDI) + joystick (such as Logitech flight simulator) enabled in mission planner ?

Thank You !
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2021, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
OK, so far I'm very happy with the Lilygo TTGO module, it's incredibly comfortable to go from an atmega328 to this kind of microcontroller. It's a bit like jumping with a parachute from 5000 meters on a sunny day when you're used to base jump from 50 meters in a foggy city.

It's small TFT color screen is fun, it's small (1.14 inch diagonal) but very light (1.8 g). For the moment I made a spectrum analyzer with it, and in normal usage it shows the different channels, and signal strength + noise level for each of them. This is practical to check if a channel is noisy while on the field, or to select the best channels depending on the antenna center frequency.

Then it's nice to have the USB C integrated directly on the board, it can be plugged in both directions, and the USB power is sufficient to power it. Forget the FTDI cables.

For the moment I'm testing, the soft is partially ported, I can receive and transmit to/from an ULRS 2.X but for example the PWM routines still have to be adapted.

The goal is also to be able to select channels, bind code etc without a computer, and to look at the graphical spectrum analyzer to choose the channels on the field.

The RFM can fit perfectly between the pin rows of the TTGO module, I've got to make a PCB for this but globally the ULRS 3.X will have the size of the TTGO module, maybe slightly more for a voltage regulator.
looks good told you will like ttgo
Jan 29, 2021, 03:18 AM
Quote:
OK, so far I'm very happy with the Lilygo TTGO module, it's incredibly comfortable to go from an atmega328 to this kind of microcontroller. It's a bit like jumping with a parachute from 5000 meters on a sunny day when you're used to base jump from 50 meters in a foggy city.

It's small TFT color screen is fun, it's small (1.14 inch diagonal) but very light (1.8 g). For the moment I made a spectrum analyzer with it, and in normal usage it shows the different channels, and signal strength + noise level for each of them. This is practical to check if a channel is noisy while on the field, or to select the best channels depending on the antenna center frequency.

Then it's nice to have the USB C integrated directly on the board, it can be plugged in both directions, and the USB power is sufficient to power it. Forget the FTDI cables.

For the moment I'm testing, the soft is partially ported, I can receive and transmit to/from an ULRS 2.X but for example the PWM routines still have to be adapted.

The goal is also to be able to select channels, bind code etc without a computer, and to look at the graphical spectrum analyzer to choose the channels on the field.

The RFM can fit perfectly between the pin rows of the TTGO module, I've got to make a PCB for this but globally the ULRS 3.X will have the size of the TTGO module, maybe slightly more for a voltage regulator.
Its sounds maybe... awesome?
Jan 29, 2021, 09:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIOTHK
Hello everyone, I am new to Ultimate LRS and want to know is it possible to control FPV by Ultimate LRS TX module (connected to PC via FTDI) + joystick (such as Logitech flight simulator) enabled in mission planner ?

Thank You !
Yes, joystick in mission planner is sent in mavlink, so no problem to fly with joystick and ULRS.
Jan 29, 2021, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-54
looks good told you will like ttgo
aha yes you were completely right !

Today I received two other modules from the same company : the Lily pi (https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050...27426c375y7poD) with a 3.5 inch touch screen and another module (link) with a 2.2 inch screen. All based on the same ESP32, so the software should run on all of them.

The the receiver the smallest, the module presented before with the 1.14 inch screen (link) is just perfect. For the transmitter it could be nice to use the 3.5 inch touchscreen module, so that telemetry data could be displayed directly on the screen. It has many additional features such as an SD card slot, for example to save all the telemetry, and 4 USB ports. And a real-time clock, I don't know yet what to do with it, but well. And this module has a nice case, so it's won't be a PCB attached to the RC transmitter but a nicely finished product.

And no boot time, it's instant on, no dependency on Android or whatever, no popup reminding that you received a message, that the smartphone battery is low etc. I don't like systems based on a smartphone, here it's using the battery of the RC transmitter, no exploitation system, it's like part of the hardware. Even if it would crash for some reason, it has a reset button and in a few seconds it's again up and running.
Jan 30, 2021, 01:56 AM
HI, i did my first two ulrs boards, and want to continue to flashing and using.. , on the it Luxemburg site it mentions that my next step is using the ulrs cc configurator but it states that this is for firmware update , but i still hadnt loaded the firmware to the minipro i earlier saw a vid of a guy doing the flash and configuration through arduino
RCHacker #41 - Flashing OpenLRSng firmware. 433Mhz LRS. (21 min 40 sec)
, i know the vid is old but should i download firmware through arduino to mini and then go to configurator or i just have to use the ulrs cc for all the job,??
is it good to use the ulrs board without a shield just as it is in fig bellow
Last edited by mj2019; Jan 30, 2021 at 02:04 AM.
Jan 30, 2021, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2019
HI, i did my first two ulrs boards, and want to continue to flashing and using.. , on the it Luxemburg site it mentions that my next step is using the ulrs cc configurator but it states that this is for firmware update , but i still hadnt loaded the firmware to the minipro i earlier saw a vid of a guy doing the flash and configuration through arduino https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwMpgJKytKM , i know the vid is old but should i download firmware through arduino to mini and then go to configurator or i just have to use the ulrs cc for all the job,??
is it good to use the ulrs board without a shield just as it is in fig bellow

ULRS CC will do the job for you.

Run the ULRS CC, select the com port and connect and firmware upgrade tab, then make sure ULRS mini is selected and hit upgrade firmware
Jan 30, 2021, 02:31 AM
thanks
Jan 30, 2021, 04:11 AM
Thread OP
Exactly, the minipro has a built in bootloader, and ULRS CC will communicate with this bootloader to flash the firmware. Once this is done, ULRS CC will let you do other operations such as configuring the channels you want to use. You don't need to use Arduino.

Please notice that the video above is about openlrsng, which is another project, so the configurator you see there isn't related to ULRS. Maybe there's a confusion, as ULRS and openlrsng can use the same OrangeRX modules. But ULRS can also run on many other modules named ULRS Minis that you can find here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/apmp...mate-lrs-mini/

Notice that the ULRS Mini schematic was done to be simple to implement even on a prototype board : few components, and the atmega pins just connect straight to the RFM pins through resistors.
Jan 30, 2021, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Exactly, the minipro has a built in bootloader, and ULRS CC will communicate with this bootloader to flash the firmware. Once this is done, ULRS CC will let you do other operations such as configuring the channels you want to use. You don't need to use Arduino.

Please notice that the video above is about openlrsng, which is another project, so the configurator you see there isn't related to ULRS. Maybe there's a confusion, as ULRS and openlrsng can use the same OrangeRX modules. But ULRS can also run on many other modules named ULRS Minis that you can find here : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/apmp...mate-lrs-mini/

Notice that the ULRS Mini schematic was done to be simple to implement even on a prototype board : few components, and the atmega pins just connect straight to the RFM pins through resistors.
yes i tthought both are the same project named earlier as olrs then ulrs any way i started following the procedure through the ulrs CC, the first step seems to have succeeded , i connected the com port pressed upgrade firmware i got the fig 1 below, as it is stated i should restart the configurator instead of that alone i also recycled the power ( i disconnected the ftdi then connected it then restarted the ulrs cc) , so sadly the setparameters was not starting after i reconnect and even the com port is showing only com8 not the version of ulrs.., i think i bricked the boot loader so need to flash it again in arduino and restart the process or you suggest other fixes to this
Jan 30, 2021, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2019
yes i tthought both are the same project named earlier as olrs then ulrs any way i started following the procedure through the ulrs CC, the first step seems to have succeeded , i connected the com port pressed upgrade firmware i got the fig 1 below, as it is stated i should restart the configurator instead of that alone i also recycled the power ( i disconnected the ftdi then connected it then restarted the ulrs cc) , so sadly the setparameters was not starting after i reconnect and even the com port is showing only com8 not the version of ulrs.., i think i bricked the boot loader so need to flash it again in arduino and restart the process or you suggest other fixes to this
you have to upload the bootloader from arduino bro, i guess thats the way
Jan 30, 2021, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
The first message you had is good, but of course normally you should be able to flash it again without error. In normal circumstances, even if unplugging the FTDI or doing any normal operation the bootloader shouldn't be affected so that's not the first idea that comes to mind. However in case of slow battery discharge to undervoltage, with the default fuses settings, it may happen that the bootloader is affected.

First double check that it's really a bootloader issue, check the wiring, try several times, ensure the DTR pin is connected etc. A simple test is to use Arduino to flash a simple sketch such as the 'blink' example. If it works, then the bootloader is fine.

To flash the bootloader, you'll need a programmer, such as the USBasp. If you have a programmer, take the opportunity to reprogram the fuses as well : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/hobb...fuse-settings/

The second important point is that ULRS will not communicate with ULRS CC if there's any issue / communication issue with the RFM23BP chip. So you can have a correctly flashed atmega, if there's a communication issue with the RFM then you won't see a connection in ULRS CC. I mention this as you're using a custom prototype board so it's always possible to have a wiring issue.

If it's possible I'd also recommend to start either with an OrangeRX module to get used to how it works, or with a DIY ULRS Mini. The PCBs are cheap ($12 for 10 PCBs), for example start with an ULRS Mini spongeboard, which is used by many users.
Jan 31, 2021, 01:01 AM
Quote:
The first message you had is good, but of course normally you should be able to flash it again without error. In normal circumstances, even if unplugging the FTDI or doing any normal operation the bootloader shouldn't be affected so that's not the first idea that comes to mind. However in case of slow battery discharge to undervoltage, with the default fuses settings, it may happen that the bootloader is affected.

First double check that it's really a bootloader issue, check the wiring, try several times, ensure the DTR pin is connected etc. A simple test is to use Arduino to flash a simple sketch such as the 'blink' example. If it works, then the bootloader is fine.

To flash the bootloader, you'll need a programmer, such as the USBasp. If you have a programmer, take the opportunity to reprogram the fuses as well : http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/hobb...fuse-settings/

The second important point is that ULRS will not communicate with ULRS CC if there's any issue / communication issue with the RFM23BP chip. So you can have a correctly flashed atmega, if there's a communication issue with the RFM then you won't see a connection in ULRS CC. I mention this as you're using a custom prototype board so it's always possible to have a wiring issue.

If it's possible I'd also recommend to start either with an OrangeRX module to get used to how it works, or with a DIY ULRS Mini. The PCBs are cheap ($12 for 10 PCBs), for example start with an ULRS Mini spongeboard, which is used by many users.
DTR pin is connected i didnt know i should connect the dtr, its not mentioned any where!! so i should connect the dtr to dtr ftdi to the promini. , i did that i was able to reflash but everything stops there, the com port is not showing ulrs version and the parameters list not opening..
now let me ask in my circuit i made the power output ofa mini regulator on board (set to give 5v ) to supply the pro mini and rfm23 , so in my case flashing of pro mini is fine but the ftdi is only supplying 3.3v to vcc of pro mini which is not connected to the rfm23!!cause i soldered the raw pin of pro mini and the rfm on regultor out which is not powered right now via ftdi! by the way nothing of 2 status led of ulrs nor rfm has shown any light so far, only promini on led and red status led has given light! i will modify the wiring disconnecting the raw pin for now and putting vcc inplace of it, after i finish i will reset the connections.
Last edited by mj2019; Jan 31, 2021 at 01:10 AM.
Jan 31, 2021, 02:44 AM
well my assumptions were right it worked once i did the rewiring , now i made the tx hopefully you check the screens below are the numbers fine?
second about the connection to the pc for settings, should that always be done at 3.3v after flashing ?
and concerning the connection to pc via uart should that be done exclusively at 3.3 v , then rfm23 will not give its full power when the ulrs is connected as ground station connected to pc?
Last edited by mj2019; Jan 31, 2021 at 03:48 AM.
Jan 31, 2021, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Nice to see you go it working !

Just to clarify the power supply, you can power everything at 5V all the time : RFM and atmega. On the ULRS Mini schematic you'll see that there are resistors on the IO pins of the RFM module. It's not as nice as a real voltage shifter, but it prevents damages on the RFM module when the arduino mini sends 5V signals.

On the FTDI side, don't worry you can send 3.3V or 5V, the atmega can handle both of them without issue, and on the ULRS Mini there are resistors on these lines, so don't worry.

It's normal to have just one LED blinking on the TX : when it will receive packets the other LED will blink as well.

The values you see on the screenshots are correct. Just take care to select the same channels in the same order, and the same bind code on TX and RX.

Quick Reply