Jul 26, 2019, 06:24 AM
FPV Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
In Europe it's the opposite with yesterday the all time highest temperature measured for Belgium. But big thunderstorm planned for the weekend...
yes i have seen it on the world news thats a normal day here in summer 40+ then rain in the afo ( afternoon )
Last edited by yak-54; Jul 26, 2019 at 06:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2019, 06:32 AM
FPV Melbourne
What IMG are you using on Pi zero ?
Jul 26, 2019, 06:45 AM
Thread OP
I'm mostly using the normal Raspian, also tried with a console only minimal version.

The main issue is that the kernel isn't made for real time system.

It works as long as there's no other big process running.

I might move to RTOS later on.
Jul 26, 2019, 07:01 AM
FPV Melbourne
Quote:
I'm mostly using the normal Raspian, also tried with a console only minimal version.

The main issue is that the kernel isn't made for real time system.

It works as long as there's no other big process running.

I might move to RTOS later on.
Hmm ChibiOS/RT
Aug 05, 2019, 12:02 PM

ULRS mini w/ 1.06

Hello, I built a Wombat v2 mini that I want to use with ULRS 1.06 firmware.
The Wombat uses pins D2-D5 for Nsel, SCK, SDI, and SDO.
I modified the 1.06 code to reflect this, using these pins shouldn't cause a problem
should it?
Also, the 1.06 firmware has one reference to NIRQ which isn't implemented on the Wombat
and apparently is not needed.

while (nIRQ_1 && (millis() < time_out))
{
}

this is in the void to_tx_mode(void) function in the rf22b code.

Is this really needed?

Thanks!
Aug 05, 2019, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
Hello, yes the NIRQ pin is required.
Aug 06, 2019, 12:13 PM
Flipflap, the NIRQ pin is not wired on the Wombat schematic. Are you saying firmware version 1.06 can not be used on the ULRS Mini?
Thanks for your reply.
Aug 07, 2019, 12:13 AM
Thread OP
Exactly, the ULRS Mini boards will only work with ULRS 2.X
Aug 10, 2019, 04:31 PM
You're talking about the lack of proper board with LCD for 32bit controllers, but there are a lot of good boards based on esp8266 or even esp32, which are not even remotely comparable to an atmega328, whether it is in term of flash, eeprom, ram, CPU clock, etc.
And they are used a lot by the community, so most Arduino libraries are compatible.
Also, most of the Arduino code is compatible (except for low level stuff like timers or port manipulation).
The esp32 is even able to handle multi threading, with its 2 core CPU.
Both can handle WiFi connection or access point mode, and there is even a library for OTA updates.
They can run a web server, so it could even be possible to have all the data accessible wirelessly on a phone's browser for example, which could be quite useful on the field.
There are boards with integrated LCD or OLED display
They also have a JTAG port, making debugging so much easier compared to the 328.
They both are really good controllers, widely used in the diy community, and they are cheap and reliable. Quite cheaper and smaller than a raspberry pi zero, and they might be better suited for the job.

Do you think this would be a good candidate for the future of ulrs ?
Aug 10, 2019, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
I considered several alternatives, including ESP32 and similar. It has a lot of advantages, but I think that Linux based systems will have an advantage over the years. It's clear that we'll have to change hardware every 3 years, but with Linux it's almost drag and drop.

On the raspberry, we're not tied to a specific model of screen, anyone is free to use one of the many 2.5 to 10 inch displays available, with or without touchscreen, with or without mouse, with or without BT keyboard etc. And the basic characteristics speak for themselves, raspberry has 512 or 1024 GB when ESP has 512 KB (not GB).

Today it could be a good idea to go with an ESP32, but I'm pretty sure that on the long run the raspi is a better choice. This said I already invested enough time on the raspi with sufficiently good result to not consider switching back to another board.
Aug 10, 2019, 10:40 PM
FPV Melbourne
Quote:
I considered several alternatives, including ESP32 and similar. It has a lot of advantages, but I think that Linux based systems will have an advantage over the years. It's clear that we'll have to change hardware every 3 years, but with Linux it's almost drag and drop.

On the raspberry, we're not tied to a specific model of screen, anyone is free to use one of the many 2.5 to 10 inch displays available, with or without touchscreen, with or without mouse, with or without BT keyboard etc. And the basic characteristics speak for themselves, raspberry has 512 or 1024 GB when ESP has 512 KB (not GB).

Today it could be a good idea to go with an ESP32, but I'm pretty sure that on the long run the raspi is a better choice. This said I already invested enough time on the raspi with sufficiently good result to not consider switching back to another board.
Yes i like idea of a Pi based lrs
i am keen to start on some new mini designs
Aug 12, 2019, 07:58 AM
Quote:
It's clear that we'll have to change hardware every 3 years
I'm not so sure about that, considering that today we are still using a 20 years old controller, and even if it's not quite sufficient, it's not that bad either.

But if you prefer to use a Rasp, that's still great !
Thank you for your work
Aug 12, 2019, 08:00 AM
Multirotors are models too!
What RasPi do you plan on using for the air side? Even the zero is quite large for RC models....
Aug 12, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Well it's perfectly possible to use an ULRS mini module in the plane and a raspberry / ULRS 3.x on the ground.

The raspi zero is 65x30mm, which isn't tiny but still small and very flat. It could be fit in a wing for example.

It's a similar size to the dragonlink mini receiver (70x35 mm).

There are also 40x40mm clones : https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.ph...product_id=212
Last edited by flipflap; Aug 12, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
Aug 12, 2019, 05:35 PM

ULRS mini w/ 1.06

Hey Flip Flap, I got the Wombat Mini to work with version 1.06 , just added the nIRQ
line to pin 12 of arduino. Anyone interested in code changes let me know.
I am curious how you got this to work in 2.0 without the nIRQ line. I tried polling the interrupt
status register of RFIC but couldnt get that to work. Don't suppose you would want to share
that secret, would you :-) Are you using the dual purpose capability of the SDO, SDI, and SCK lines?

Also with the RFM23B the GPIO lines are no longer needed to toggle TXON and RXON, correct?

Quick Reply