May 24, 2015, 12:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corie
Hi Ben,

thanks for the replies. I desoldered the VCC trace and replaced it with a 5V line as per your diagram.

My taranis outputs:
0V on the 6V pin.
7.2V on bat pin (my transmitter battery voltage)
0V on the Ant
3.7V on the PPM pin

I know you had stated that all I need to connect now is the PPM pin and the ground pin from my taranis to the J1 port of my module. How is the rest of the module (other than the 1W transmitter chip) getting it's power supply? Is it being powered through the 3.7V on the PPM pin?

Thanks

Steven
Well you need PPM and GND but also VCC. Normally 3 pins are used (see photo).

Then you need to power the RFM module with 5.5V~6V. I don't know if you can use the Taranis 6V pin for this.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2015, 12:13 AM
Ty! VCC is w.e. my taranis battery is (~7.2V). I guess there must be a step down regulator on the module board."6V" doesn't release any voltage even with the module set to external and the Tx light blue.
May 24, 2015, 01:53 AM
Thread OP
OK, so you can power the VCC pin from the Taranis, but will need a 6V reg for the RFM module.
May 24, 2015, 01:58 AM
Thread OP

Warning with latest Mission Planner version

Hi, it seems there's a problem with recent Mission Planner versions : it can connect via ULRS and do most of the tasks except write parameters (including calibrate radio etc).

I'm checking exactly what happens.

Last working version of MP is 1.3.15 and can be downloaded here.
Last edited by flipflap; May 24, 2015 at 04:43 AM.
May 24, 2015, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Ty! VCC is w.e. my taranis battery is (~7.2V). I guess there must be a step down regulator on the module board."6V" doesn't release any voltage even with the module set to external and the Tx light blue.
Corie, I am waiting for a JR Module to arrive from China. Am I to understand that you can plug this into the empty JR slot and it will power OrangeRX from the VCC pin of the Taranis.

However, in order to get optimal range we need to supply the TX module inside the Orange Rx with a separate source of 6V max to get maximum power (which Flip Flap has documented a few posts back).

When I get this all figured out I will try to condense it into a tutorial. There seems to be excellent documentation on the RX (UAV) side but it is a little less clear on the Taranis side.

I also want to add Bluetooth (and hopefully connect to UgCS instead of Mission Planner) and range test this to at least 5 miles for my purposes.
May 25, 2015, 06:23 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Corie, I am waiting for a JR Module to arrive from China. Am I to understand that you can plug this into the empty JR slot and it will power OrangeRX from the VCC pin of the Taranis.

However, in order to get optimal range we need to supply the TX module inside the Orange Rx with a separate source of 6V max to get maximum power (which Flip Flap has documented a few posts back).

When I get this all figured out I will try to condense it into a tutorial. There seems to be excellent documentation on the RX (UAV) side but it is a little less clear on the Taranis side.

I also want to add Bluetooth (and hopefully connect to UgCS instead of Mission Planner) and range test this to at least 5 miles for my purposes.
Not exactly Marc. For normal operation you can pop in the JR module into the Taranis and everything works fine without mod. The Orange Module will power the RF section at 3.3v which will yield less than 1W output. Most of us are fine with that. If you want to get the full 1w out of the module you need to "cut/disconnect" the original voltage feed and change it to a source of 5v or so. FlipFlap documented this on his website. You could use the power from the Taranis but you might have to drop the voltage to the required.

There are instructions early in the thread for adding the bluetooth module. It has served me well.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
May 25, 2015, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
There are instructions early in the thread for adding the bluetooth module. It has served me well.
I successfully wired everything up at 5.5v without frying thanks guys.
I have a small BT module for a few bucks from ebay comming in. Does that interfere with anything if I have it pretty much next to my receiver? I'm on 1.280ghz video.

Thanks.
May 25, 2015, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Not exactly Marc. For normal operation you can pop in the JR module into the Taranis and everything works fine without mod. The Orange Module will power the RF section at 3.3v which will yield less than 1W output. Most of us are fine with that. If you want to get the full 1w out of the module you need to "cut/disconnect" the original voltage feed and change it to a source of 5v or so. FlipFlap documented this on his website. You could use the power from the Taranis but you might have to drop the voltage to the required.

Thanks Mike. That was a useful clarification. I think I was saying the same thing but I did not do a good job.
May 25, 2015, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I successfully wired everything up at 5.5v without frying thanks guys.
I have a small BT module for a few bucks from ebay comming in. Does that interfere with anything if I have it pretty much next to my receiver? I'm on 1.280ghz video.

Thanks.
Hi, there are instructions for the BT module here, but there are risks of range reduction / interferences. Let us know how it works for you.
May 26, 2015, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi, there are instructions for the BT module here, but there are risks of range reduction / interferences. Let us know how it works for you.
Thanks. Will do. Will it work if I connect a OTG cable from my tablet to a FTDI chip, which is then connected to the Tx, Rx and ground from the uLRS?

Also, I seem to be getting odd RSSI readings. It would be at 99% and then randomally drop to 79% or 74% or 49% or 59%, all for a second, and then jump back to 99%. Can I connect the RSSI pin directly to the pixhawk or should I be using a filter?

May 26, 2015, 10:29 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Dornan
Thanks Mike. That was a useful clarification. I think I was saying the same thing but I did not do a good job.
Just a note, that as FlipFlap says the BT can cause interference or be interfered with, I simply had to foam tape my BT module to the "lid/top" side of the Orange Module case to get it a little ways away from the RF module. It works fine for me all tucked inside the Orange Module now but of course your mileage may vary.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
May 26, 2015, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks. Will do. Will it work if I connect a OTG cable from my tablet to a FTDI chip, which is then connected to the Tx, Rx and ground from the uLRS?

Also, I seem to be getting odd RSSI readings. It would be at 99% and then randomally drop to 79% or 74% or 49% or 59%, all for a second, and then jump back to 99%. Can I connect the RSSI pin directly to the pixhawk or should I be using a filter?

Hi, it should work with USB OTG + FTDI connected on GND, TX, RX. The RSSI must be filtered.
May 27, 2015, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Just a note, that as FlipFlap says the BT can cause interference or be interfered with, I simply had to foam tape my BT module to the "lid/top" side of the Orange Module case to get it a little ways away from the RF module. It works fine for me all tucked inside the Orange Module now but of course your mileage may vary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap
Hi, it should work with USB OTG + FTDI connected on GND, TX, RX. The RSSI must be filtered.
Thanks! Yeah my BT module will be a good 15 cm away from my uLRS. Should be ok.
And problem solved for my RSSI ^
May 27, 2015, 03:33 AM
Thread OP
OK, waiting for your feedback on Bluetooth and range impact, I've made a page on the subject but based only on two users' experience, it would be nice to add more info as it can be useful for many users to have BT.

http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/usin...etooth-module/
May 27, 2015, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Thx again. When my OrangeTX shows up from China I will do some range testing with and without Bluetooth. I was thinking of mounting it remotely for the same reasons as you did.

Quick Reply