May 14, 2019, 03:20 AM
This is what I came up with, a very simplified board mainly for use as an RX. I'll make a TX specific board next.

Name: nWfQtLT.png
Views: 28
Size: 67.9 KB
Description:

It's a 5V SMD board and all parts except the RFM are on the top. This enables the frying pan reflow method as well as the oven method. The idea is to assemble the top with the use of a stencil, which can be ordered with the PCBs at JLCBCB for $6. Much easier than hand soldering. Once the top is done, then hand solder the RFM on the bottom along with the antenna.

I've not broken out the I2C as if I recall correctly it isn't used and RSSI as a channel is supported on inav and ardu so I left that off as well. Pin headers match a standard FTDI cable.

I've already ordered some boards to test, if it works, then I will likely modify it to use 0805 parts so it can be hand soldered also rather than the resistor arrays and the 0603 passives. It mostly follows the ULRS Mini schematic but I filtered the power to the RFM.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2019, 03:46 AM
RC fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilcd85
Yup, that's my posts on that thread, but the 16ch issue appears to have been resolved since this was posted. I would suggest moving further chat about this over to the Ardupilot ChibiOS thread rather than ULRS as it's more specific to that subject. That thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-%28ChiBios%29

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
May 21, 2019, 11:37 PM
Name: IMG_20190514_141227.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 548.5 KB
Description:

Works well, yet to test the range.
May 21, 2019, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
It looks very nice, can you show the other side ?
May 22, 2019, 02:21 AM
Name: Back.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 83.5 KB
Description:

Sure, the back is just the RFM (with the Aliexpress shield), the goal was to make it single sided for all the passives. The antenna trace is really short and I routed it as a coplannar wave guide.

I used a stencil on the top side, it's super fast to assemble that way especially with the resistor arrays. I hand solder the RFM, antenna connector and pins. To help people that want to hand solder, I'll convert this design to all 0805 parts (they are 0603 right now) tonight.
May 22, 2019, 05:43 AM
Name: 805.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 111.6 KB
Description:

0805 version done, I'll order some PCBs to test them.
May 22, 2019, 05:56 AM
Thread OP
This is one of the most impressive designs, small and everything aligned. +1 for the look and +1 for the wave guide.

I hope it works
May 22, 2019, 06:18 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Nice design..... I thought a wave guide was not necessary at these short lengths?
Latest blog entry: Test entry
May 22, 2019, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Nice design..... I thought a wave guide was not necessary at these short lengths?
It's really not but costs nothing except 20 seconds to calculate the trace width and gnd pull back. Same with adding teardrops, via fencing and via stitching, questionable if it really helps but meant to be best practices so I do it.
May 22, 2019, 07:08 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorePaws
It's really not but costs nothing except 20 seconds to calculate the trace width and gnd pull back. Same with adding teardrops, via fencing and via stitching, questionable if it really helps but meant to be best practices so I do it.
Good point...
Latest blog entry: Test entry
May 22, 2019, 07:28 AM
Discovering the joys of flying
Quote:
Attachment 12102801

It does look very nice indeed, congrats!
If all goes well, I'll be a customer for sure.

Thanks for your work!
May 22, 2019, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Attachment 12102801

SorePaws, very nice mini board, thank you!
May 24, 2019, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
Arduino is releasing a lot of new boards ... https://store.arduino.cc/new-products

Didn't read in detail yet, but there could be one that fits ULRS and runs a 32 bits micro.

edit:

-This one https://store.arduino.cc/nano-33-iot looks promising with its 32 bits microcontroller, wifi and bluetooth connectivity, and a crypto chip. Just imagine : as easy to build as the current ULRS Minis, but with good CPU/memory, providing directly Wifi connectivity, and hardware encryption. And easy code portability.

-This one https://store.arduino.cc/nano-33-ble is very interesting too, 32 bits CPU, bluetooth low energy, and an IMU ! Wouldn't be surprized if someone adapts Ardupilot to run on this.

- OMG the next one is still better, https://store.arduino.cc/nano-33-ble-sense with the CPU, IMU, temperature, pressure, humidity, light, color and even gestures sensors. Really no idea what to do with all of this. Maybe I'm just dreaming because it becomes really weird...

- OK, and then a little different https://store.arduino.cc/mkr-vidor-4000 but could be perfect for my other project, transmitting digital video over an analog video link. Good CPU, FPGA, able to do DSP over video signals. Maybe possible to do a color graphical OSD ?
Last edited by flipflap; May 24, 2019 at 12:15 PM.
May 24, 2019, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I arrived now here, congratulations !

I fly mini talon with apm 2.8 and Wolfbox ( config openlrsng, only 8 chanels and no telemetry options), repeater diy with frsky 2,4 and Taranis qx7 , dipolo antenas diy.
i have good results 10km, but no telemetry.

My question,

Have a problem use orange tx module (rx config) in plane, and my repeater wolfbox tx ?

Tks !
May 24, 2019, 05:30 PM
I install the Ultimate Lrs Control Center version 2.35a rc , its open but no way, no navigation !

I try reinstall , but ,no.

Quick Reply