Nov 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

From Customization to Custom Builds: Addictions and Community (READ POST #1)

This is the natural progression of the Walker QR X350 Mods/Upgrades thread and the community that has built up around it. We're a group of typical RCGroup members, some new to multirotors, some not. But we all bought the Walkera QR X350, weren't satisfied with the way it performed, and decided to do something about it. We took it apart, replaced the flight controller with an APM (or Crius running MPNG in my case), discovered and added additional features (telemetry, gimbals, FPV, etc), and became hooked on taking charge of what we were flying.

We're now each moving on to different custom builds. But in the process of working on our X350s together, we formed a community, and so we're starting this thread to allow the continuation (and evolution) of that community as we move forward with our new addiction!

We invite you to join us on this journey. Whether you're new to custom builds or an expert at it, if you're looking for a friendly place to discuss what you're doing, get help or give help, or just read about what others are up to, we hope you'll hang out and enjoy yourself!

The one thing we ask while you're here is that you do everything in your power to avoid negative, non-constructive posts, especially those that attack others. PM if you have to, but don't pollute the discussion here. Thanks, and welcome!

Craig (ChristianGeek)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2013, 04:18 PM
ok i am in then. we'll have to copy over some of the APM messages since alot of that will apply here as well. thanks for creating the thread
Nov 14, 2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks Craig!
Nov 14, 2013, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyThor
ok i am in then. we'll have to copy over some of the APM messages since alot of that will apply here as well. thanks for creating the thread
I'd say just link to them (or quote them) as they come up in discussion. I'm sure we'll be linking to other threads and other boards as well.
Nov 14, 2013, 08:56 PM
Thread OP

From Customization to Custom Builds: Addictions and Community (READ POST #1)

So although I'm still working on my X350, I'm starting to gather parts for my next project, a BAH Mini H quad:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2019883
Nov 14, 2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianGeek
So although I'm still working on my X350, I'm starting to gather parts for my next project, a BAH Mini H quad:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2019883
OMG Marty McFly was RIGHT!! we WILL have Flying Skate Boards in our Future :P

that looks great, cant wait to see it fly!
Nov 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
Turok
Heres a couple more pics to give a perspective of the landing gear with gimbal mount. Its called the FC-190 for about $30 and has vibration isolators at every joint so by the time it gets to the camera there should be none!

Will get video of this thing getting in the air as well as on board footage over the weekend.

Also looking into some kind of a dome cover as i mentioned on the other thread to protect the electronics and to also lift the GPS up out of the way from any inteference. Just have it sitting on the board temporarily until i figure out a solution
Nov 14, 2013, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTurok
Heres a couple more pics to give a perspective of the landing gear with gimbal mount. Its called the FC-190 for about $30 and has vibration isolators at every joint so by the time it gets to the camera there should be none!
Great price, and love the ability to adjust the COG!
Nov 15, 2013, 02:25 AM
Turok
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianGeek
Great price, and love the ability to adjust the COG!
It is! And its the widest one thats on the market for quads of this size
Nov 15, 2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTurok

Will get video of this thing getting in the air as well as on board footage over the weekend.

Also looking into some kind of a dome cover as i mentioned on the other thread to protect the electronics and to also lift the GPS up out of the way from any inteference. Just have it sitting on the board temporarily until i figure out a solution
I wanted to get those skids but was told they are too small for an XAircraft.
Nov 15, 2013, 08:15 AM
Just want to throw this out there. I am considering powering LEDs & gimbal off a separate battery, a small 500 MAH 11.1 volt turnigy 0.5 20-30C. I know this battery powers the gimbal just fine, and the LED Lights (4 strips, 1 strip on each arm and one belly light) will have a switch to turn lights on and off. Since the LEDs are only for Show, they will only be used occasionally. but i wonder if that battery is good enough for all that?

My thought is to not drain of the flight battery but also not add any more weight to the craft.
The only LEDs that will remain on with the XAircraft are the ARM/GPS indicator lights which will also be LED on the Rear of the Xaircraft.

thoughts?
Nov 15, 2013, 03:07 PM
Turok
Quote:
I wanted to get those skids but was told they are too small for an XAircraft.
They were a perfect fit for the f550! Im about to take this puppy outside as i didnt need to go into work today. :P Video soon.

RE: The LEDs.

I thought about powering my gimbal with a separate battery but I just soldered on a a connector to the main PDB so i can just tap into that. Im using 2x 2700mah zippys so should be ample power as the gimbal is a very low power device.

I can still disconnect/connect the gimbal from the connector i soldered on if i wish to power it from an external battery - so the choice is there.

Im looking into some LEDS for min to help with orientation too, will probably tap into main power source as wel.
Nov 15, 2013, 03:31 PM
Bumble Bee has LIGHTS!!! It LIVES!!!!! (LEDs and Gimbal use a separate battery from flight battery, Lights have a Switch to turn them off too! )
Nov 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
Better Picture of Bumble Bee at Night
Nov 16, 2013, 01:24 AM
Turok
Quote:
Bumble Bee has LIGHTS!!! It LIVES!!!!! (LEDs and Gimbal use a separate battery from flight battery, Lights have a Switch to turn them off too! )
NICE BIRD. I flew the hex today and it flew BEAUTIFULLY with the gimbal!! Ultra smooth and much more stable than walkera. Descending was always an issue with the qr x350 but with the hex it comes down very controlled and composed. Tons of power and responsiveness, and got a good 10 min flight time on 2x2700mah batteries in parallel, which was also powering the 3 axis gimbal

Will take gimbal videos at some nice locations this weekend and edit and upload

Quick Reply