Nov 13, 2013, 05:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New field at Grafton

G'day gang,
As the heading indicates the Grafton Model Aircraft Club (inc) has commenced flying at our new field last Sunday. (10 NOV 2013)
While the weather was not perfect with a bit of a stiff breeze making life a little difficult, a great day was had by all of our club members in attendance.
We have two grass runways with the main use strip being North / South in orientation and one hundred and ten metres long with the ability to be extended to one hundred and thirty metres if required by larger models even on the day.
The number two strip is an East / West runway and is slightly shorter at one hundred metres. This strip will need extra work to extend as the ground to the East is very rough and the ground to the West is littered by some very deep stump holes that will require a lot of work to fill in and level off properly.
The runways are located on the top of intersecting hills so the topography slopes away on all side of the runways.
There has been some twenty tonnes of top soil put down and leveled and once the rain gets the grass properly established it should produce a top line surface.
while the facilities may not be of 'royal' standard, we do have a lock up container and a toilet already in place with plans for a shower as well.
The container will have a roof that will feed a water tank so the field will be self sufficient in the long term. There will be solar panels to charge deep cycle batteries (donated by the club president's business) for our battery charging stations.
Our helicopter members have not been forgotten and they have marked out the area in which they wish to fly and they will promote their own activities soon.
For those wishing to have a look at the area on Google Earth the numbers you need are
29* 42' 00.63" S
153* 01' 18.23"E
These will take you to what is the North end of the main strip and you be able to see a dam to the west of the mark.
While it looks to be some distance out of town, it is only eight kilometres from the round a bout in South Grafton.
The club will be having a fly in day in the new year (when it cools down a bit) and I dare say that the invitations will be posted to everyone who might be interested
Oh, and there is a 'book' on the first person in the dam. Unfortunately I won the prize for being the model model to ummmm crash
The worst part was the prize was the 'honour' of the event.
Regards and respect
Daryl
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2013, 06:19 AM
N00b Sloper Addict
Good Luck with the new club. It's nice to hear new clubs are forming.

All the best in the future with it!!
Nov 14, 2013, 05:04 AM
Thread OP
G'day Parkflyer81,
Actually the club has been in existence for over forty years but we have just moved to a new field. However I do thank you for your best wishes, they are greatly appreciated.
We were flying at the local gliding club field and they had pretty good facilities for us but we were restricted to flying on Wednesdays only and from 9 to 12 midday.
This proved to be too restrictive for us to promote the club and we simply could not attract workers or juniors.
There was also the added pressure of new houses being built and in association to the new houses a few complaints were being made about the 'noise'. Not the models but our comings and goings. Remember Wednesdays only 9-12.
In the two and a half years I have been a member of the club, three new house went up and there are at least four more that have their DA approved.
Plus, and is only a rumor, (but a good one) the property may have changed hands and could be sub divided soon.
It was time to move.
Currently we have only two houses about one click from the boundary of the property and our neighbours are keen to have us around. A bit more security while they are at work.
Our new operating hours are Dawn to dusk and seven days a week. ANZAC day, Good Friday and Christmas day are about the only days that we will close the field.
There will be a fly in soon and I will let everyone know when but most likely in 2014.
Regards and respect
Daryl
Dec 20, 2013, 06:06 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongroad
G'day Parkflyer81,
Actually the club has been in existence for over forty years but we have just moved to a new field. However I do thank you for your best wishes, they are greatly appreciated.
We were flying at the local gliding club field and they had pretty good facilities for us but we were restricted to flying on Wednesdays only and from 9 to 12 midday.
This proved to be too restrictive for us to promote the club and we simply could not attract workers or juniors.
There was also the added pressure of new houses being built and in association to the new houses a few complaints were being made about the 'noise'. Not the models but our comings and goings. Remember Wednesdays only 9-12.
In the two and a half years I have been a member of the club, three new house went up and there are at least four more that have their DA approved.
Plus, and is only a rumor, (but a good one) the property may have changed hands and could be sub divided soon.
It was time to move.
Currently we have only two houses about one click from the boundary of the property and our neighbours are keen to have us around. A bit more security while they are at work.
Our new operating hours are Dawn to dusk and seven days a week. ANZAC day, Good Friday and Christmas day are about the only days that we will close the field.
There will be a fly in soon and I will let everyone know when but most likely in 2014.
Regards and respect
Daryl

Hi Daryl,

Im an old flyer from various clubs from Sydney to Lake Maquarie.
Want to get back into flying after about a 10 years break, can you give me the road address to your new field, the google location doesnt come up road names, and i'd like to come out and look at the site. The pix look good, but i'd like to see from ground level.

Thanks

Simon
Dec 21, 2013, 05:10 AM
Thread OP
G'day Simon,
I have sent you a PM.
The address is Tancreds Lane Via Grafton.
I will give you the directions as we have on our emergency contact detail. IE the directions we would give to the 000 operator.
Follow the Pacific Highway north from Grafton and turn right into Duncans Lane. Follow Duncans Lane and cross Centenary Drive.
Duncans Lane now becomes Washpool road. Continue along Washpool road and cross Four Mile Lane.
Washpool road now becomes Tancreds Lane and is gravel from from here on.
The gate for the field is approximately 3.6 kilometres east of Four Mile Lane and is on the right hand side when travelling east.
Believe it or not, the road goes straight at all intersections and why the name changes is beyond me.
However, it is a great field to fly at and easy to get to if you do not read too much into the directions.
Hope this helps a little. I am sure I can do more for you with the PM.
Regards and respect
Daryl
Dec 21, 2013, 07:33 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Pacific Highway to Tancreds Lane

Here you go, was just curious, so here is the map
Dec 21, 2013, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Nick,
From the marker you go through the right, and left hand sharp corners and the gate is about the middle of the triangle patch of trees on the left. (but the gate is on the right, clear as mud huh?)
The gate is about one kilometre from the marker.
It will be good when they update the photo!
Regards and respect
Daryl
Dec 22, 2013, 06:54 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Thanks All, i found it today, went for a drive but found the gate was locked. Guess only members get a key to the 1000 year old padlock....
Dec 22, 2013, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
G'day Azoic,
Mate, if you found a gate with a pad lock on it you went to the wrong place.
It is a brand new gate with a D shackle on the end of the chain for a latch.
I will PM you and you can contact me from there.
Regards and respect
Daryl
Dec 23, 2013, 05:28 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
Only trouble is, i can't find any PM's...where do i go to find them....
Dec 23, 2013, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
top of the page where it says welcome Azoic and you will see pm there.
Regards and repsect
Daryl
Dec 23, 2013, 09:39 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
I thought that might have been the place, but still shows as 0/200 messages and 0 messages below that, so i thought it might be somewhere else on the page.
Dec 24, 2013, 02:21 AM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
I found it, took some pix, it look's good, but needs a mow. Good thing i own a ride-on....
Dec 24, 2013, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
It has been getting mowed every Wednesday but the grass is growing so fast as you would know
There is about twenty tonnes of top dressing on the strip and four tonnes came from old garden beds here at home. I mow that spot on Thursday and it needs mowing by Saturday. And I HATE mowing lawns!
I flew my FMS 1.4 Trojan last Sunday and was clipping off the top of some of the grass then.
I think the mower will be resting today but will be in action tomorrow with out me on it.
I'll post on here and PM you when I know someone will be going out.
Regards and respect
Daryl
Mar 30, 2019, 07:40 PM

airfield

hi guys, im back in grafton after a few years abroad, where has the model flying clubs gone to?
I used to go visit the gliding club in waterview heights, and also the blokes out at g.r.a.s.s were good to fly with,
are there any clubs left? are you still out at the 'new' field in clarenza?
cheers mates.
Alex

Quick Reply