Dec 28, 2013, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmware
"In addition the US receivers have some less functions of receiver mixers, which has also an influence of the different pricing"

got this elsewhere true or false ?
That is not about "US" receivers - the "L" versions have less functionality and are about half the price. If you compare the GR-12L to the GR-12 you will find it has no SUMO and SUMI and a lot more (or less). Just compare the manuals and you will see. If you don't need all the extras it's a good alternative.

These L-versions seem to be tailored for the US market but are sold worldwide (AFAIK) but that is also true for the MZ series...

Chris
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2013, 04:51 AM
Got a MZ-24 for Christmas and finished programming the first model yesterday.

I'm not really happy with the graphical telemetry displays. I can't locate the important infos with a quick glance... An alternative "text only" display would be helpful - like the one you get hitting the "MZ"-button.

And i might have found a little bug in UpdateStudio 3.5: reading the model data does not work (30 * "Heli -") and reading/setting the TX clock fails too.

Chris
Dec 28, 2013, 05:50 AM
Why not set your important telemetry data to a switch? That screen is not really designed to be glanced at while you fly, especially helis. I know, it cycles through all the data, but I found in the past few weeks of using the system that you can easily get by with two to three telemetry values on a switch and the rest reviewed after flights.
Dec 28, 2013, 08:02 AM
I have done that already but it is not nearly loud enough and my hearing gets worse with age
Dec 28, 2013, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA
The SmartBox does work with the mz-24.

Make sure you have the latest SB firmaware (4.2) and you are good to go. Use the model select menu option and select the option based on the sensor combination you have.
I have just discovered another small bug. I have a heli with an +T60 ESC. After connecting the battery the MZ-24 shows the correct telemetry data but some of the data on the Smartbox is total gibberish:

PS: MZ-24 v1.012, Smartbox v4a20, BC-60+T v1a31, GR-12L v1a30

Chris
Dec 28, 2013, 05:19 PM
Thread OP
If you go to the system menu and set the antiglare option to on the telemetry display will change from graphics to text the same way when you hit the mz button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Benndorf
Got a MZ-24 for Christmas and finished programming the first model yesterday.

I'm not really happy with the graphical telemetry displays. I can't locate the important infos with a quick glance... An alternative "text only" display would be helpful - like the one you get hitting the "MZ"-button.

And i might have found a little bug in UpdateStudio 3.5: reading the model data does not work (30 * "Heli -") and reading/setting the TX clock fails too.

Chris
Dec 28, 2013, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
You can see the max value in the receiver telemetry screen (where you setup your ESC or module settings). If I remember correctly its the first screen of the module where min/max values are shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hati
A new question for the support guys.

I have flown the 6S no vario engine module on my Logo 400SE today. It works beautifully with a couple of minor inconveniences.

One is that I do not get maximum Amps the way a +T speed controller does it. I really liked the +T showing on the telemetry screen at the end of the flight the maximum Amps pulled. It shows instantaneous Amps but no easily seen maximum. Even looking at the log file in the Graupner software it only seems to do instant. I would need to watch the entire 7.5 minute flight to get an idea what did it max out to. I'm running close-ish to the capacity of this module (the 14S 150 Amp one is too big for this heli). I used my Oracle data logger to see what is happening during an "average" flight before I fitted the engine module. According to this I run an average 28 Amp draw with a couple of peaks at 49 to 50 Amps lasting 2 seconds maximum. I wanted to make sure I don't go past 60 as there is no RX battery on this heli, in case the module dies on me.
Because of this I would really like to be able to check at the end of the flights the maximum Amps.
Is there a way to do this from the Telemetry screen on the MZ-24?

The second thing is that even though I have all alarms but capacity, over-current and low voltage disabled, the Telemetry still shows all available telemetry functions, just no data for the unused bits. The second telemetry screen also cycles between the display of all these sensory values, regardless of them being used or not.

Can that be disabled somewhere so I only get the active sensory display? If not, could this and the maximum Amp draw be added into the next firmware update?

Thanks guys.
Dec 29, 2013, 10:09 AM
I have a programming question on a MZ-18. This would be for a full house sailplane. 2 ailerons and two flaps. I would like to set up a Q-Link (Flight Mode) for a Landing mode. This would be actuated by the ST1 lever and have linear actuation of the flaps. When I try that now all I get is the flaps moving to a set position as soon as the stick is moved and the Q-Link is enabled. I do not see a way to make the flaps move in a linear fashion.

Mark Miller
Isthmus Models
Proud Graupner Dealer
Dec 29, 2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller
I have a programming question on a MZ-18. This would be for a full house sailplane. 2 ailerons and two flaps. I would like to set up a Q-Link (Flight Mode) for a Landing mode. This would be actuated by the ST1 lever and have linear actuation of the flaps. When I try that now all I get is the flaps moving to a set position as soon as the stick is moved and the Q-Link is enabled. I do not see a way to make the flaps move in a linear fashion.

Mark Miller
Isthmus Models
Proud Graupner Dealer

Yeah, they really dropped the ball on the flap programming, it's all or nothing. You can make a mix in the free mix to accomplish proportional flaps (actually 2 mixes with 2 flap servos) and it'll work the way it should. I'd expect that to be fixed in the next update, when I brought it up and showed my solution, The a Graupner rep asked if I'd mind if he sent it to the software guys to implement in the radio's built in mix. I think I've got a backup of the mixing on my computer, I'll look and report back.
Dec 29, 2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks,

I got it to do what I wanted but not using a Flight Mode. I have linear flaps working on the ST-1 stick and to simulate a flight mode I'll do a Dual Rate turned on by ST1. It just doesn't show as a name on the screen. But hey, Who looks at the screen when flying.
Dec 30, 2013, 03:06 PM
I have a GR-24L receiver - Can't find a manual for that specific receiver on the Graupner-DE web site.

Does it have SUMD or SUMI outputs?

It is it safe to say that any "L" receiver does not support SUMD or SUMI.

Other than the GR-24 PRO, is there another receiver at OpenHobby USA, in stock that can get me SUMD/SUMI? (for a helicopter a 6ch is not enough - so need 9+ channels).

Chris.
Dec 30, 2013, 03:59 PM
GR-24L manual from Open Hobby. If the link doesn't work, it's on page 5 of the downloads section.

Pretty sure L receivers (except for the 12L) all do SUMD, the 16L most certainly does.

If you use flybarless controllers on your electric helis, the 6 channel is more than enough. Does anyone fly flybarred these days?

I have 3 helis sporting only a 12L with Vbar on all of them.
Last edited by Hati; Dec 30, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Dec 30, 2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks Hati - I've been doing more research and reading. Found manuals on the OpenHobby USA site under the downloads tab.

So yes, you are correct they do support SUMD.

Not many are flying helicopters with flybars now; pretty much the gains in stability and performance are too great to ignore. I have a couple of flybar helicopters just for nostalgia!

I spoke with OpenHobby an hour or so ago - looks like a shipment of gear will be here in several weeks time. I'm looking forward to that!

Chris
Dec 30, 2013, 04:58 PM
Oh noooo.... more goodies to put a hole in the pocket
Dec 30, 2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hati
Pretty sure L receivers (except for the 12L) all do SUMD, the 16L most certainly does.
Even the GR-12L does SUMD but no SUMO (PPM out) or SUMI (PPM in). So it cannot be chained with another 12L as one 12 channel receiver. That would only work with the GR-12 (without "L"). AFAIK it is the same difference with the 12S and 12SH/SC.

HTH
Chris

Quick Reply