Sep 08, 2014, 08:43 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
I mentioned this in another thread. Are we getting confused about what the Signal Strength indicates? I seem to understand from this text in the MC-20 manual that Signal Strength is indicating the Downlink and the Signal Quality is indicating how well the Rx is hearing the Tx. And you should also be mindful that dBm does not go to a high negative number.

[I][B]I always get [COLOR=Blue]Signal Strength[COLOR=Black] numbers drifting to the 30's, even 20's during flights but [COLOR=Red]Signal Quality[COLOR=Black] rarely goes below 95%.
Dave that's a great point. I need to verify what I was listening to. I had the radio announcing the signal but I am not clear which one it was announcing. If it's the downlink I really don't care if that's a weak signal.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2014, 08:56 AM
Sailplane Mafia
I would like to provide some feedback to Graupner on the MZ-24. I think the main screen needs some work to redefine what options are on there. I made a video to help explain my ideas.

I feel the large button that displays an aircraft that controls the model and wing type does not belong on the main screen. That is something you program for each model and then it's left alone. Why waste so much main screen space for it? Also the model name which allows you to change the name of the model should be under the function menu and let the model name be the change model option and this could free up the space where it shows M-1 through M-30.

The throttle lock would be a nice option to allow it as a soft button (or existing switch) on the main screen. It could be setup on the model select button where if you hold it down it would lock the throttle.

Graupner MZ-24 Main Screen (3 min 18 sec)
Sep 08, 2014, 09:15 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring
Dave that's a great point. I need to verify what I was listening to. I had the radio announcing the signal but I am not clear which one it was announcing. If it's the downlink I really don't care if that's a weak signal.
Yeah, that's what I have it announcing, Signal Strength, that is the only choice. I am just assuming from the text in the manual and the fluctuating values that Strength is actually down-link.

If so, I understand why they do it to warn you loooooong before you get out of Tx range. Myself I would prefer if there were a way to chose which one.

At the very least we need some confimation/clarification of what data we are looking at/listening to.
Sep 08, 2014, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring
I would like to provide some feedback to Graupner on the MZ-24. I think the main screen needs some work to redefine what options are on there. I made a video to help explain my ideas.

I feel the large button that displays an aircraft that controls the model and wing type does not belong on the main screen. That is something you program for each model and then it's left alone. Why waste so much main screen space for it? Also the model name which allows you to change the name of the model should be under the function menu and let the model name be the change model option and this could free up the space where it shows M-1 through M-30.

The throttle lock would be a nice option to allow it as a soft button (or existing switch) on the main screen. It could be setup on the model select button where if you hold it down it would lock the throttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw7ZHfAOCJE
All the options you mention I totally agree with. The soft switch especially. I have mine on the little Toggle next to the one you use.
Hopefully that's something they can do on one of the updates for us?
Sep 08, 2014, 03:36 PM
George G
The voice file worked, even the telemetry screen on the Tx is in feet. But the smart box screen is still metric. So do I need to update the smart box with the USA firmware? if so can you zip this to me?

Thanks George.
Sep 09, 2014, 07:08 PM
Wife, Son & House Payment
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggos
The voice file worked, even the telemetry screen on the Tx is in feet. But the smart box screen is still metric. So do I need to update the smart box with the USA firmware? if so can you zip this to me?

Thanks George.
I have attached my own document on how to do the upgrade as well as the link to openhobby how to.

The key is to turn the power on the smartbox after you start the process in the studio program.

Here is the link to the how to do the upgrade
http://www.openhobby.com/front/suppo...earchstr=smart

And attached is the actual firmware
Sep 09, 2014, 09:37 PM
I just looked at the specs of the BRUSHLESS CONTROL+T 35A BEC TELEMETRY ESC... and it shows that the BEC is rated for Continuous current 2A and Max Current 3A.

I am planning on putting this in a glider, the RocHobby 2.2 V-Tail comes with a 35A esc that is rated for 4A.

I'm not comfortable flying six servos on 2A and wonder what the suggestion is for getting the additional 2A. I could use a Castle Creations 10a BEC. Is there another way?

I'm switching the ESC so I can obtain MAH consumed during a flight.

Thanks
Scott
Sep 09, 2014, 09:53 PM
You are flying a glider not a helicopter, should be more than adequate.
Sep 10, 2014, 03:09 AM
It should be adequate - but is probably not!

I flew an electric "Solution" glider and during crow braking the current draw would go above what the BEC could supply. The Tx started screaming a warning about Rx voltage (as expected) and the motor would fire up for a fraction of a second once the Rx voltage recovered. This happened even though the motor was disabled during crow braking.
The fault was cured by adding a SBEC that provided a higher peak current.
Martin.
Sep 10, 2014, 07:49 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_bee
It should be adequate - but is probably not!

I flew an electric "Solution" glider and during crow braking the current draw would go above what the BEC could supply. The Tx started screaming a warning about Rx voltage (as expected) and the motor would fire up for a fraction of a second once the Rx voltage recovered. This happened even though the motor was disabled during crow braking.
The fault was cured by adding a SBEC that provided a higher peak current.
Martin.
I am very upset over these Graupner ESC's. There is no reason they could not have bumped the BEC amps for the money they charge for them. I have no confidence in having a 3amp BEC on my 3 meter gliders that use flaps. When you drop the flaps 90 degrees the load on the servos is high.
Sep 10, 2014, 09:03 AM
For the 18A and 35A ESC, the BEC gives 2A continuous and 3A peak.
45A ESC and above it gives 3A continuous with a 10A peak.
I am happy with a 10A peak as most of the flying is done with the servos drawing under the 3A normal load.
Sep 10, 2014, 09:18 AM
I have the 45amp in a 48" Laser 200 with all digital 5065 servos. Never had a problem flying hard 3D when all the servos are working hard. I have over 45 deg throws on all my surfaces. Maybe because like was said 45 have a 10amp peak?
Sep 10, 2014, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_bee
For the 18A and 35A ESC, the BEC gives 2A continuous and 3A peak.
45A ESC and above it gives 3A continuous with a 10A peak.
I am happy with a 10A peak as most of the flying is done with the servos drawing under the 3A normal load.
And the 100A ESC provides 5A continuous and 15A peak. I don't think it's unreasonable for a 35A ESC to only have a 2A BEC because it's designed for smaller airframes (e.g. park flyers with micro servos). Large powered gliders are a special case. If you were using a tow plane or catapult launch and had no motor, you'd need a receiver pack and possibly a regulator anyway.
Sep 10, 2014, 10:08 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctholson
I just looked at the specs of the BRUSHLESS CONTROL+T 35A BEC TELEMETRY ESC... and it shows that the BEC is rated for Continuous current 2A and Max Current 3A.

I am planning on putting this in a glider, the RocHobby 2.2 V-Tail comes with a 35A esc that is rated for 4A.

I'm not comfortable flying six servos on 2A and wonder what the suggestion is for getting the additional 2A. I could use a Castle Creations 10a BEC. Is there another way?

I'm switching the ESC so I can obtain MAH consumed during a flight.

Thanks
Scott
For a 2.2m glider that shows 1080g flying weight would it make that much difference to you the extra 22g of a 45amp ESC, then you would have the bigger BEC. Would that be any lighter or heavier than adding the Castle BEC?
Sep 10, 2014, 11:59 AM
David, that's a great point. I will check to see that the 45A ESC will fit. There should be plenty of room.
Out of curiosity, is there another way for me to get the MAH consumed during flight that doesn't include replacing the ESC? Would it make sense?

Quick Reply