Aug 23, 2019, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Hi, thanks for considering our radios.

The VM80 module can be plugged directly into the telemetry port on all our receivers. Nothing else is needed.

If you plane to have telemetry on a nitro/gas setup you will need the general engine module which can be connected to any of our receivers telemetry port.

The general engine module can monitor much more than just RPM and temperature.

You can find the manual here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/graupner.ma...EB_V1.8_EN.pdf
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klausim
Hello all, I am exploring different TX/RX options and came across Graupner. I have been looking over their website and earmarked the items I am most interested in. The MZ-32 would be the TX of choice and I also need a handful of full range receivers. I am unclear on what telemetry modules/sensor to get for my purpose.
I currently use Spektrum TX/RX with telemetry for all my electric as well as gas powered planes (Saito 4 stroke on ignition). For my electric models I like to monitor my flight battery voltage. For my gas planes I have my RPM and engine temperature on telemetry. On Spektrum receivers you simply plug the sensor for pack voltage, RPM and/or Temp sensor into the receiver.

1) With Graupner receivers, is it necessary to connect a General Engine/Air Module in order to use a RPM Opto Coupler for Electric Ignitions and 200C/400F Temperature and Voltage Sensor or can they be plugged into a GR-16 directly?
You have to use a module of some variety (General Engine, General Air, or Electric Air).

Quote:
2) Can a Voltage Module VM-80 connect directly to a GR-24 or does it require a General Air Module?
The VM-80 is a full telemetry module that identifies as a General module on the telemetry bus, so it is designed to be used independently from other modules.

Quote:
My biggest concern in regards to using yet another module is available space inside my EDFs.
There are aftermarket options. A company in Germany (SM-Modellbau) makes a very small telemetry module called the UniSens-E that will measure voltage, current, and RPM, and it contains barometric sensor as well.
Aug 24, 2019, 09:34 PM
Thank you for your replies.

Quote:
You have to use a module of some variety (General Engine, General Air, or Electric Air).
Okay, that makes sense. So, whenever the word "module" is in the product title it can be used independently? When the description says "sensor" it has to be used with a General Module?

E.i., the HoTT Vario Module and the Voltage Module VM-80 can be used independently and directly connect to the receiver. Can both modules be connected to a receiver only one? How many telemetry ports are on a receiver? From pictures I can only see ONE. Can two modules be connected via a Y-cable?

From my understanding, on the GR-12 6 Channel receiver the telemetry module connects to CH5 making it effectively a 5 Channel receiver when used with telemetry, correct?

Sorry for all these questions. I am trying to sort this all out and get a better understanding on how the Graupner system interacts.
Last edited by Klausim; Aug 24, 2019 at 11:41 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:36 AM
Thread OP
You can use the same telemetry port to connect multiple sensors by using a Y cable.

When telemetry is enabled on a GR12 receiver than CH5 can be only used for telemetry.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:11 AM
Oregon Glider Guy

MZ-18 converted to PRO firmware, sharing model programs

I use an MZ-18 (converted to Pro firmware) as a backup to my MZ-32. I know I can’t share model setups between the two. So I developed separate programs for my most important competition models and both work well. Recently I tried to share a model setup with a friend using an MZ-24pro. I had to use a computer to transfer as the MZ-18 and MZ-24 save to different folders on their respective SD cards and cannot directly see the models if you just save to card and then swap. However my MZ-18pro model setup would not import into the MZ-24pro as it gave an error message. Is model sharing not even possible in this way? Must MZ-24’s stay just with MZ-24’s, etc? Can a MZ-16 share with a MZ-32? What are the rules in sharing setups?
Aug 26, 2019, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA
You can use the same telemetry port to connect multiple sensors by using a Y cable.
In this context, he means modules. There is a caveat: you cannot connect two or more of the same type of module: the telemetry system only supports one of each type: General (Engine or Air), Electric Air, Vario, GPS, ESC.
Aug 26, 2019, 04:14 PM
Quote:
In this context, he means modules. There is a caveat: you cannot connect two or more of the same type of module: the telemetry system only supports one of each type: General (Engine or Air), Electric Air, Vario, GPS, ESC.
Thank you for clarifying.

How about the airspeed sensor HSS-330 Dynamic Pressure Speed Sensor? It is described as "sensor" but the product description says: "The HSS-330 is connected directly to the receiver’s telemetry port and is identified as GPS sensor."

I was hoping to connect a VM-80 and HSS-330 directly to the GR-24 with a Y-cable. Will this work?

I was also hoping that the radio can call out airspeed as it hopefully does with voltage and current consumed.

B.T.W. my new MZ-32 has just been shipped.
Aug 26, 2019, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Yes, it will work as described.
Sep 07, 2019, 02:36 PM

MZ-18 Pro bugs

I have an MZ-18 Pro with 2.002 firmware. When using the vario in my glider about 50 percent of the time when switching between the phases the voice call out doesn’t work. Similarly, when adjusting the trim there is no beep. Has anyone else had these problems?
Sep 13, 2019, 12:41 AM

newbee range test issues

I have now equipped one plane with my new Graupner TX/RX setup and went to the field for a range check. I start the test as instructed and walk to a distance of 50m. The signal strength still reads 80% but as soon as I turn away from the model - putting my body between the MZ-32 and the model - the signal drops to 0% and "telemetry link inactive warning" comes on. I tested this behaviour at shorter distances and got the same signal drop even at 15m from the model - again facing away from it. The signal remains strong even at 80m facing the model.

Is this normal? I would expect the signal to weaken but not to completely drop. I am not wearing metal body armour.

Any help would be much appreciated. At this point I am not comfortable flying this plane with this questionable rx connection.
Sep 13, 2019, 06:30 AM
Team Canada F5J, Team Graupner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klausim
I have now equipped one plane with my new Graupner TX/RX setup and went to the field for a range check. I start the test as instructed and walk to a distance of 50m. The signal strength still reads 80% but as soon as I turn away from the model - putting my body between the MZ-32 and the model - the signal drops to 0% and "telemetry link inactive warning" comes on. I tested this behaviour at shorter distances and got the same signal drop even at 15m from the model - again facing away from it. The signal remains strong even at 80m facing the model.

Is this normal? I would expect the signal to weaken but not to completely drop. I am not wearing metal body armour.

Any help would be much appreciated. At this point I am not comfortable flying this plane with this questionable rx connection.
Which receiver are you using? How did you route your Rx antennae? Is it a fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber fuselage?

Jean
Sep 13, 2019, 06:39 AM
'n boer maak 'n plan
It is also important to note that
1) Your body indeed is like armor against signals due to all the water in you...
2) The telemetry link is the one coming back from the receiver and if you operated your model you would have noticed it still worked fine. If not then you have an issue.
Sep 13, 2019, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Dorais
Which receiver are you using? How did you route your Rx antennae? Is it a fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber fuselage?

Jean
I am using a GR-24. The antenna routing is viewable in the photo. The fuse is plastic, 3D printed PLA.

Klaus
Sep 13, 2019, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yufasa
It is also important to note that
1) Your body indeed is like armor against signals due to all the water in you...
2) The telemetry link is the one coming back from the receiver and if you operated your model you would have noticed it still worked fine. If not then you have an issue.
The receiver lost signal and went into failsafe each time I turned away. It recovered quickly once I was facing the model again. How do I know it went into failsafe? Each time I turned away the motor would throttle up. This on its own had me puzzled but then I soon realized that my throttle failsafe position was set at 0 instead of -100. As I said this radio is new to me and totally different then my old DX-18.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?
Last edited by Klausim; Sep 13, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
Sep 13, 2019, 05:45 PM
Is the model on the ground or elevated? IF on the ground it may well fail the range test if your back is turned to the plane. If not elevated then elevate the plane about 1 meter and do a range test again.

I would also open the receiver case and ensure both antenna are well attached to their snap mounts.

Even though the receiver and antennas are sort of close to the ESC the ESC not providing power to the motor ( idle state ) should not interfere with range testing.

Quick Reply